Letter addressing the COVID-19 virus from renowned Aids expert Dr. Michael S. Saag, University of Alabama, Birmingham

Although this was written to the citizens of Alabama, it is relevant to every one in the country.  Even more so to some in other states.  Please read.

https://www.al.com/opinion/2020/03/renowned-aids-expert-alabama-not-prepared-for-major-storm-of-covid-19.html

Edited by EricS
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, EricS said:

Although this was written to the citizens of Alabama, it is relevant to every one in the country.  Even more so to some in other states.  Please read.

https://www.al.com/opinion/2020/03/renowned-aids-expert-alabama-not-prepared-for-major-storm-of-covid-19.html

Great read & some scary points concerning the behavior of COVID-19.  We aren't & were never prepared for an event of this nature. 

Edited by keystone3ply
addition

For the safety of all involved with drum corps from the kids to the staffs to the fans...cancel the summer tour. Period. This country is nearly two months behind in testing, treating, and conditioning for the outbreak. Wholesale quarantines should be coming across the country. We have more to look out for than drum corps. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Before I nitpick, let me emphasize that I support each and every one of the recommendations given in this article regarding what we should do.  In fact, I would go one step farther and do away with the "elbow bumps".  Hard to maintain social distancing while doing that.

Also, what follows is not intended to undermine the seriousness of this situation.  I only want to point out a couple of things for the sake of helping all of us keep the fear level just below all-out panic.  So here goes.

1.  Please remember that the scariest statistics are based on the condition "if we do nothing".

2.  As we do more testing in the coming days, you will hear all sorts of scary reports about "new cases".  Please bear in mind that these will be new reported cases, many of which are admittedly existing cases that just have not been tested yet.  The media is already commonly branding these as simply "new cases", which is misleading.

3.  "Exponential spread" is an oversimplification.  It assumes an uninfected population with no immunity.  At the start, that is true.  But over time, herd immunity tamps that exponent down.  Spread does not just stay exponential forever.

Again, the recommendations are good.  Follow them.  And add one more - do not panic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Before I nitpick, let me emphasize that I support each and every one of the recommendations given in this article regarding what we should do.  In fact, I would go one step farther and do away with the "elbow bumps".  Hard to maintain social distancing while doing that.

Also, what follows is not intended to undermine the seriousness of this situation.  I only want to point out a couple of things for the sake of helping all of us keep the fear level just below all-out panic.  So here goes.

1.  Please remember that the scariest statistics are based on the condition "if we do nothing".

2.  As we do more testing in the coming days, you will hear all sorts of scary reports about "new cases".  Please bear in mind that these will be new reported cases, many of which are admittedly existing cases that just have not been tested yet.  The media is already commonly branding these as simply "new cases", which is misleading.

3.  "Exponential spread" is an oversimplification.  It assumes an uninfected population with no immunity.  At the start, that is true.  But over time, herd immunity tamps that exponent down.  Spread does not just stay exponential forever.

Again, the recommendations are good.  Follow them.  And add one more - do not panic.

Point 1: based on our current trajectory we’re looking at 2.2 MM deaths. Social distancing may need to be extended for months if not a year. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Point 1: based on our current trajectory we’re looking at 2.2 MM deaths.

Totally false.

Re-read my point #1 above.  That number you quote was a guesstimate based on us doing nothing.

Edited by cixelsyd

On 3/18/2020 at 5:52 AM, phd-student-TTU said:

For the safety of all involved with drum corps from the kids to the staffs to the fans...cancel the summer tour. Period. This country is nearly two months behind in testing, treating, and conditioning for the outbreak. Wholesale quarantines should be coming across the country. We have more to look out for than drum corps. 

And the experts are already predicting a second outbreak of the virus.

• Like 1

And to date the Feds have failed miserably at taking the proper actions on many points. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricS said:

And the experts are already predicting a second outbreak of the virus.

Insane stuff here!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/some-of-mexicos-wealthiest-residents-went-to-colorado-to-ski-they-brought-home-coronavirus/ar-BB11ubRQ?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=AVRES007