Letter addressing the COVID-19 virus from renowned Aids expert Dr. Michael S. Saag, University of Alabama, Birmingham

29 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Then the headline should have said “fishtank cleaner” to be succinct and accurate. 

I disagree. "Fishtank cleaner" wasn't all over the news. These people didn't see reports about how "fishtank cleaner" could cure COVID19.

They saw reports that chloroquine might be the miracle cure. And looked it up, and found that chloroquine phosphate is a fishtank cleaner. And ingested it. And died.

But even if they hadn't made that mistake, they still shouldn't have been consuming chloroquine. For the two reasons I mentioned.

In other words, a headline that makes it clear that you shouldn't ingest chloroquine is a headline that performs a public service.

One that omits that word is misleading.

On 3/22/2020 at 3:41 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

March 19:

ETuUUhUXsAAp4MC?format=jpg&name=4096x409

This college student from southwest Ohio has since issued an apology on his Instagram page, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer, in which he says, among other things, "Don't be arrogant and think you're invincible."

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

(1) Those who haven't been prescribed a particular drug shouldn't just go eating it --or what they mistakenly believe to be it-- without asking a doctor.

(2) There are concerns that all the chatter about chloroquine is leading to problems for those who actually need it now for other conditions:

Malaria Drug's Promise for Coronavirus Spurs Hope, Shortage.

And if trials show hydoxychloroquine In combination with z pack works, even in some cases?   All the chatter?  Orange Man again?  You are so incredibly transparent 

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

(2) There are concerns that all the chatter about chloroquine is leading to problems for those who actually need it now for other conditions:

Malaria Drug's Promise for Coronavirus Spurs Hope, Shortage.

If we discovered peanut butter cures cancer, you would post gloomy analysis about how that affects the PB&J sandwich supply.

Things will be all well and good when the $35 million earmarked for the Kennedy Center in the bill proposed by the House of Representatives passes, along with same day voter registration and mandatory carbon offsets for airlines, because those are  SO CRITICAL to helping the current situation.

To relate this to drum corps, I hope DCI doesn't take any  of the relief package money (if the House bill passes), because one of the items in the bill requires companies to report on the demographic breakdown of their supply chains (not just the company itself, but of it's supply chains).  How is a company supposed to know that level of detail about another company when they're just buying paper or office furniture or whatnot? As Rahm Emanuel said, "Never let a good crisis go to waste." 

Edited by wolfgang

4 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

If we discovered peanut butter cures cancer, you would post gloomy analysis about how that affects the PB&J sandwich supply.

Only if peanut butter were also a treatment for another disease and those people suddenly didn't have medication.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No. What I can say that every news story I had seen, probably a dozen or so, said "chloroquine" was being touted as a possible cure. But if that one article you've found is typical of the majority of the news, then I'll concede the point.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

And if trials show hydoxychloroquine In combination with z pack works, even in some cases?   ... You are so incredibly transparent 

That would be great. But until then, I think you'll agree that it's a bad idea for people to ingest it without a doctor's orders!

What I said was that two people ingested chloroquine (in the form of chloroquine phosphate) because they'd gotten the impression it was a miracle cure.

And then they both got sick, and one of them died.

My message: don't do that.

Some people have gotten awfully worked up that I would dare urge people not to poison themselves.

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That would be great. But until then, I think you'll agree that it's a bad idea for people to ingest it without a doctor's orders!

What I said was that two people ingested chloroquine (in the form of chloroquine phosphate) because they'd gotten the impression it was a miracle cure.

And then they both got sick, and one of them died.

My message: don't do that.

Some people have gotten awfully worked up that I would dare urge people not to poison themselves.

You can’t even get it without a doctor’s prescription!  
No, your point was, Orange Man Bad talked about it, someone went out and killed themself ingesting something with the same prefix in it. Therefore Orange Man’s fault. That is your point. Otherwise if you’re on a kick to not ingest poison why not caution against antifreeze?