Letter addressing the COVID-19 virus from renowned Aids expert Dr. Michael S. Saag, University of Alabama, Birmingham

Just now, HockeyDad said:

You can’t even get it without a doctor’s prescription!  
No, your point was, ... talked about it, someone went out and killed themself ingesting something with the same prefix in it.

Gov. Cuomo of New York talked about cloroquine in promising terms in at least one press conference prior to these people ingesting it and getting, in one case, fatally sick.

I have no knowledge about whether or not they saw him or anyone else speak about it, or what news sources they follow.

What I know is that somewhere they heard two things: (1) chloroquine cures coronavirus (which is unproven); and (2) chloroquine is in fishtank cleaner (not in its medicinal form, it's not).

So those two messages were out there.

30 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No. What I can say that every news story I had seen, probably a dozen or so, said "chloroquine" was being touted as a possible cure. But if that one article you've found is typical of the majority of the news, then I'll concede the point.

So your position is that repeating misleading news headlines is so dangerously irresponsible that it can cause people to kill themselves? 

(You might really want to take some time to self-reflect right about now.)

23 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Gov. Cuomo of New York talked about cloroquine in promising terms in at least one press conference prior to these people ingesting it and getting, in one case, fatally sick.

I have no knowledge about whether or not they saw him or anyone else speak about it, or what news sources they follow.

What I know is that somewhere they heard two things: (1) chloroquine cures coronavirus (which is unproven); and (2) chloroquine is in fishtank cleaner (not in its medicinal form, it's not).

So those two messages were out there.

Question:  in your opinion Should Doctors be allowed to use Chloroquine in Covid patients with the understanding that (1) it isn’t FDA approved and (2) that there is anecdotal evidence it might be effective?

if “yes”, we agree. If “no”, at what point would you agree with its use?  Once FDA approved? 

44 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That would be great. But until then, I think you'll agree that it's a bad idea for people to ingest it without a doctor's orders!

What I said was that two people ingested chloroquine (in the form of chloroquine phosphate) because they'd gotten the impression it was a miracle cure.

And then they both got sick, and one of them died.

My message: don't do that.

Some people have gotten awfully worked up that I would dare urge people not to poison themselves.

Oh also, people didn’t ingest it without a doctor’s order. They ingested something quite different. Kinda like chlorine versus sodium chloride. Hmmm kinda sounds the same.  But quite different 

41 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What I said was that two people ingested chloroquine (in the form of chloroquine phosphate) 

No - in the form of fish tank cleaner.  Stop spreading misinformation.

Some people have gotten awfully worked up that I would dare urge people not to poison themselves.

Maybe they read too many of your posts.

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Question:  in your opinion Should Doctors be allowed to use Chloroquine in Covid patients with the understanding that (1) it isn’t FDA approved and (2) that there is anecdotal evidence it might be effective?

if “yes”, we agree. If “no”, at what point would you agree with its use?  Once FDA approved? 

I would go with “yes.” The patient was able to make an informed decision. 

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I mean, really?  Who would drink fish tank cleaner under any circumstances?  That why there’s a label warning to not drink dishwashing detergent or don’t use your blow dryer in the bathtub.

I know ... this isn’t political ... it’s just plain stupid. 

• Like 2

Sometimes it depends on the dosage and use. Depending on the circumstances, one person’s rat poison is another’s stroke preventative. (Thankfully most people don’t try the off label usage. :))

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I disagree. "Fishtank cleaner" wasn't all over the news. These people didn't see reports about how "fishtank cleaner" could cure COVID19.

They saw reports that chloroquine might be the miracle cure. And looked it up, and found that chloroquine phosphate is a fishtank cleaner. And ingested it. And died.

But even if they hadn't made that mistake, they still shouldn't have been consuming chloroquine. For the two reasons I mentioned.

In other words, a headline that makes it clear that you shouldn't ingest chloroquine is a headline that performs a public service.

One that omits that word is misleading.

Of course people should not ingest anything like that. Nobody should, be it part of the fish cleaner or in pure form. It is a administered by prescription in a defined dose, I think I read one gram(?). Those people decided on their own to blindly ingest poison; it is not the fault of the news articles mentioning the possibility that chloroquine might be of assistance in the fight against the virus. Leaving off the other half of what they took is not "shorthand"; it is inaccurate information.

• Like 2