Letter addressing the COVID-19 virus from renowned Aids expert Dr. Michael S. Saag, University of Alabama, Birmingham

19 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Don't do this:

Man dies after ingesting chloroquine in an attempt to prevent coronavirus.

(And his wife is in critical condition after doing the same thing.)

That headline is fake news.

He did not ingest "chloroquine".  It was a fish tank cleaner, containing chloroquine phosphate as one of its ingredients.

Edited by cixelsyd

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Tee hee So clever - you found another way to take a shot.

Are you sure you're not seeing what you want to see?

There have been countless news reports, from across the media spectrum, about various people saying that chloroquine might be the miracle cure that stops this epidemic. Some people haven't been paying close attention to those stories and missed the fine print.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

That headline is fake news.

He did not ingest "chloroquine".  It was chloroquine phosphate.

I think your reply stretches that term "fake news" too far. Headlines are always a kind of shorthand.

The coronavirus claims two Georgia health care workers (Atlanta Journal-Constitution).

Two women; one was 48 years old. Here's what the story says about the other:

"The woman, 42, had been dead 12 to 16 hours when the police, checking on her welfare, discovered her body, Hawk said.

Her child, apparently 4 or 5 years old, was in the home at the time."

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think your reply stretches that term "fake news" too far. Headlines are always a kind of shorthand.

That is not "shorthand".  These are chemical compounds.  Omitting a word might describe a different substance (i.e. "carbon" without the "monoxide").

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

That is not "shorthand".  These are chemical compounds.  Omitting a word might describe a different substance (i.e. "carbon" without the "monoxide").

I think you know that there are other reasons people shouldn't just ingest chloroquine.

"Chloroquine" was all over the news as a potential cure for COVID19. That's why the couple in the story to which I linked ingested chloroquine phosphate--which led to one of them dying and the other becoming very ill. You're right that by consuming the compound rather than the drug in question, they compounded the error made by media outlets who aired stories about chloroquine as a possible cure without including important caveats.

But even if they had chloroquine, they shouldn't be taking it without a doctor's instructions.

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think you know that there are other reasons people shouldn't just ingest chloroquine.

And I think you know that these people drank fish tank cleaner.  They did not ingest the prescription drug chloroquine.  

"Chloroquine" was all over the news as a potential cure for COVID19. That's why the couple in the story to which I linked ingested chloroquine phosphate--which led to one of them dying and the other becoming very ill. You're right that by consuming the compound rather than the drug in question, they compounded the error made by media outlets who aired stories about chloroquine as a possible cure without including important caveats.

Sorry, must have missed that.  Compounded what error?  What important caveats were not included?  

But even if they had chloroquine, they shouldn't be taking it without a doctor's instructions.

Well, it is a prescription drug, so...

14 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And I think you know that these people drank fish tank cleaner.  They did not ingest the prescription drug chloroquine.  

Sorry, must have missed that.  Compounded what error?  What important caveats were not included?  

Well, it is a prescription drug, so...

(1) Those who haven't been prescribed a particular drug shouldn't just go eating it --or what they mistakenly believe to be it-- without asking a doctor.

(2) There are concerns that all the chatter about chloroquine is leading to problems for those who actually need it now for other conditions:

Malaria Drug's Promise for Coronavirus Spurs Hope, Shortage.

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Then the headline should have said “fishtank cleaner” to be succinct and accurate. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1