Compressed summer tour DCI announcement

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Housing has to be the biggest piece of this puzzle.

Yes but, if one thinks outside of the box, there might be other solutions. I'm thinking of the "Just In Time Inventory" concept the businesses use to order inventory. If units arrived at a location shortly before performing then on to next venue, that might be one solution. I would be more concerned about the fans. No doubt, there a host of mechanical issues to solve to make it all work, but it can be solved.

Just think positive.

1 hour ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

A reduced number of performances of watered-down shows with extremely reduced rehearsal time is worse than no season at all. If there can't be a full, normal tour this year, then cancel the season and let the ageouts come back next year. Don't insult them by forcing this sort of substandard production to be all they get.

Forget inviting age-outs back.  Bad idea.

And, if you REALLY want them to dazzle you with what they can do, tell them they have one month less to perfect their show.

I think you underestimate the potential of the age-out class; the insult is in presuming that they can't entertain you really well on just five months of practice instead of six.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ykw said:

Completely agree. 

"With the hope for a safe and vastly improved environment in the coming weeks..." -- that just ain't gonna happen folks.   This pandemic is just getting started.

This seems more about softening the blow when they have to REALLY pull the plug.

Actually, it's about half over if previously affected countries are any indication.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

Yes but, if one thinks outside of the box, there might be other solutions. I'm thinking of the "Just In Time Inventory" concept the businesses use to order inventory. If units arrived at a location shortly before performing then on to next venue, that might be one solution. I would be more concerned about the fans. No doubt, there a host of mechanical issues to solve to make it all work, but it can be solved.

Just think positive.

I appreciate the "Sounds Crazy, Might Work" attitude.  But this just sounds crazy.

Where would they sleep?

If groups of more than 50 are prohibited, are shows performed in three pieces until all MM's have performed their parts?  Do the ushers in the stands only let in 50 people at a time?

All anecdotal questions that make "just in time", not.  What about traffic delays?  Train crossings?  Souvie trucks?

I appreciate their optimism.  

I think people are going to be a bit shellshocked after this.  Volunteers may be hesitant to go on tour with a corps after being in their homes to avoid disease for a month.  And if you look at the  demographic of volunteers, it skews older.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, garfield said:

I appreciate the "Sounds Crazy, Might Work" attitude.  But this just sounds crazy.

Where would they sleep?

If groups of more than 50 are prohibited, are shows performed in three pieces until all MM's have performed their parts?  Do the ushers in the stands only let in 50 people at a time?

All anecdotal questions that make "just in time", not.  What about traffic delays?  Train crossings?  Souvie trucks?

Rather than a negative attitude "It can't be done", I prefer a positive attitude. Many of the SIlicon Valley giants have developed products and procedures using a concept known as "Quality Circles" This process is pretty straight forward. You throw out ideas no matter how outrageous. You do this until no further ideas can be thought of. Then you go back over the list and quantify or judge the merits of an idea finally choosing a best course of action.

I believe it can be done and I can think of 2 solutions right now for sleeping. Like I said, one just has think outside the box. The bigger problem is an audience of fans. We'll have to wait and see what them come up with. Even that problem could be tackled like the NBA is proposing. The shows could all be streamed by FLO with no audience.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Continental said:

It's mentioned in this update posted on DCI.org today.

"With hope for a safe and vastly improved environment in the coming weeks, current efforts include developing a revised and compressed schedule for the 2020 DCI Summer Tour."

https://www.dci.org/news/coronavirus-update-march-18

Declassified information. 

Edited by keystone3ply
correction
  • Thanks 1

Best case scenario (what theyre planning for, it sounds like), things will get compressed by a late start.

Perhaps they'd look at corps getting everydays started late, abandoning the june shows, and kicking off tour sometime in early July. Corps would want to do at least a couple shows before showing up to a major regional, but at very least if they could salvage the July 12-Finals slate, that's probably a reasonable win at this point.

If we're honest, the show quality will probably go down, but for 99% of the audience it will still be great. Those of us that have marched or otherwise have more refined eyes\ears can be more nitpicky than the average fan.

• Thanks 1

Yeah...that sounds very corporate  like and best case scenario. I'm not trying to sound negative but I don't see schools all of a sudden opening doors with welcome mats. Let alone stadiums. DCI Board is sounding very much like the Tokyo Olympic committee. 

• Like 7