Compressed summer tour DCI announcement

5 hours ago, dcifanforlife said:

I totally agree the average age-out is financially ruined for a long time  at the end of the season. Plus they are physically and mentally exhausted.  For the few that win a medal it is a great accomplishment.   For the majority  it is just something to put on their resume. The one and done era is here.  The average top corps is turning over 70% of their members each corps.  The average member cost of $5,000 is what is driving the turnover.  I have first hand knowledge that this is happening.  A two or three year vet in a corps is becoming an  endangered species in the activity.

I think you are really selling the "average" DCI members (and corps) very short.  Marching a DCI season IS A GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENT whether winning a medal or fighting to make semis.  I also know that two and three year vets are NOT an endangered species.  Yes the cost impacts some members, but I know that for many corps the biggest cause of turnover is 1) aging out and 2) going to another corps.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Not according to the top researchers in the US. We’re looking at almost a year’s worth of recovery ONLY if we enact stringent protocols now. 

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/18/america-united-states-lockdown-coming/

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/interview-francis-collins-nih/608221/

Oh, please.

Stopped reading the Atlantic piece after that moron tried to make a case for US tracking only 8 days behind Italy based solely on case count - as if both nations have the same number of people in the same amount of space, with the same cultural and hygenic behaviors, the same infrastructure, and the same timing and degree of response.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just for some perspective.

For all of the talk of percentages who have a mild case vs serious case, and widely conflicting predictions about the mortality rate of this virus, and how incredibly fast and loose it spreads etc. etc. Let's look at a number that no one ever mentions:  How many people DON'T get the virus vs. what percentage DO.

In China, where most will agree it was at its worst, there has been a total of around 81,000 cases in a country of 1.435 Billion people.  That means only 0.000056446% of the population actually got the virus, and 80% of that had what are considered "mild" cases.  

5 in 100,000 chance of contracting the virus. 

<1 in 100,000 chance of having a serious case

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TwoValves said:

Just for some perspective.

For all of the talk of percentages who have a mild case vs serious case, and widely conflicting predictions about the mortality rate of this virus, and how incredibly fast and loose it spreads etc. etc. Let's look at a number that no one ever mentions:  How many people DON'T get the virus vs. what percentage DO.

In China, where most will agree it was at its worst, there has been a total of around 81,000 cases in a country of 1.435 Billion people.  That means only 0.000056446% of the population actually got the virus, and 80% of that had what are considered "mild" cases.  

5 in 100,000 chance of contracting the virus. 

<1 in 100,000 chance of having a serious case

So you believe everything coming out of a country that controls all communications to the free world?  That one?  The country who lied about the coronavirus from the start?  That one?  The country who would not believe the first medical warnings?  I would not trust anything coming out of China.  They have not been forthright about any of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

So you believe everything coming out of a country that controls all communications to the free world?  That one?  The country who lied about the coronavirus from the start?  That one?  The country who would not believe the first medical warnings?  I would not trust anything coming out of China.  They have not been forthright about any of this.

I agree with your conclusion, but for the opposite reasons.

17 hours ago, garfield said:

Yours is an interesting point.  Serious questions:

What’s your opinion on:  

1. Why is drum corps participation considered resume-worthy

2. Is, and why is, one year (“one and done”) as acceptable, or desirable, as three years is?

3.  What is causing it?  Is it not fun enough to do more than once no matter the cost?  To do it again, does it have to be fun, but at a cheaper cost?

I'm really interested in opinions on these subjects.  Anyone?

• Like 1

I see some staff members chiming in on social media about the potential compressed season.  Looks like they welcome a shorter tour, but would rather have a decision sooner rather than later in the spring.  One well known instructor seems to imply that he'd rather have a no go decision now, than a compressed tour decision later.  (It's not hard to find; it's all over Facebook.)  

Edited by keystone3ply
correction
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

What’s your opinion on:  

1. Why is drum corps participation considered resume-worthy

Besides the usual things learned in drum corps like musicianship and character, marching in a corps teaches you discipline, focus, respect, time management, and to have an open mind and it develops self-confidence. As has been proven time after time by the corps' when they compete, when something is not working (winning) you change it and try something new. I believe this activity teaches these values better than any other activity which has always been why drum corps' is such a worthy activity to pursue. Lastly, look at the friendships and marriages that have developed. I highly recommend this to any parent.

Edited by Rich Cline
Typo
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, garfield said:

I'm really interested in opinions on these subjects.  Anyone?

My thoughts of why drum corps is resume worthy:

Many marching members go into education, and if we read some of the bios of marching members, we are not talking only music education. In subject areas, grades speak for themselves, but there are the intangibles grades do not provide such as team work, working together, perseverance, dedication, etc., and drum corps can teach these skills. 

Regarding why one year may be of value as let’s say three years, that depends on the individual. Drum corps can be a great resume worthy activity, but so too is the right internship, job experience in the field, and the like. It really depends on the individual.

• Like 2