Compressed summer tour DCI announcement

13 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"If it were possible to wave a magic wand and make all Americans freeze in place for 14 days while sitting six feet apart, epidemiologists say, the whole epidemic would sputter to a halt."

Pretty sure we’d all die of thirst.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The basic logic behind her estimate, at a time that Ohio had fewer than 20 confirmed cases, was that some of them couldn't be traced to contact with a known infected person. In other words, Ohio had community transmission. And at a very rough approximation, community transmission implies that at least 1% of the population is infected.

And 10 million x 1% = 100,000.

But that's rough. And probably on the high side. On the same day, an epidemiologist at Johns Hopkins said that there were probably 500,000 cases nationally.

It's very unlikely that Ohio has 20% of the nation's cases.

Obviously I would love to have much better numbers.

But a larger point was obvious: at that point, the official number of cases in the U.S. was just a few thousand.

But that official number was highly misleading.

The woman scares me.

I'd HATE to be her child.

1 minute ago, garfield said:

The woman scares me.

I'd HATE to be her child.

Boo!

7d0f985a-2fd7-411e-9bc8-10299d7276d9-Wqo

Ohio Department of Health director Dr. Amy Acton is Ohio's calming leader in coronavirus crisis

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 6:59 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

REALLY wish I hadn’t given away my copy of The Great Influenza by John Barry.

Just reordered via Barnes and Noble online

Doesn't matter now if I remember who I gave it to as can’t go over and get it back anyway

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just reordered via Barnes and Noble online

Doesn't matter now if I remember who I gave it to as can’t go over and get it back anyway

Do you know if  you get it on Kindle? I need a good read to cheer me up!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Do you know if  you get it on Kindle? I need a good read to cheer me up!

I don’t use Kindle so not sure. That would be nicer than waiting a week for it to show up....

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I don’t use Kindle so not sure. That would be nicer than waiting a week for it to show up....

Try seeing if your local public library lets you check out books digitally. I’ve done it a couple of time recently (including so so authorized sequel to The Andromeda Strain.) When I check them out, I download them to a Kindle app on my iPhone and iPad. (I’ve never owned a Kindle.)

Edited by year1buick
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, year1buick said:

Try seeing if your local public library lets you check out books digitally. I’ve done it a couple of time recently (including so so authorized sequel to The Andromeda Strain.) When I check them out, I download them to a Kindle app on my iPhone and iPad. (I’ve never owned a Kindle.)

Been using this option for several years.  Long before C19 I'd put books on hold on my iPad if they were not available, get an e-mail when it arrives, then download it.  I checked off 21 days for the loans just in case something comes up that I need more than 14 days.  For example.  When I put a hold on Lee Child's latest J. Reacher book (Blue Moon), I was 210 th in line on 35 copies in our county library system.  They now have 43 copies and I'm up to #52.  No problem.  Still reading through Connelly, Baldacci, Koonz, Kellerman, Finder, Berenson, etc.  Vince Flynn's (Mitch Rapp is a great character) latest one is not available yet.  Even though he died several years ago, Kyle Mills, has taken over the series on behalf of Flynn's estate.  I need to look into Patterson.

https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libby/

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Been using this option for several years.  Long before C19 I'd put books on hold on my iPad if they were not available, get an e-mail when it arrives, then download it.  I checked off 21 days for the loans just in case something comes up that I need more than 14 days.  For example.  When I put a hold on Lee Child's latest J. Reacher book (Blue Moon), I was 210 th in line on 35 copies in our county library system.  They now have 43 copies and I'm up to #52.  No problem.  Still reading through Connelly, Baldacci, Koonz, Kellerman, Finder, Berenson, etc.  Vince Flynn's (Mitch Rapp is a great character) latest one is not available yet.  Even though he died several years ago, Kyle Mills, has taken over the series on behalf of Flynn's estate.  I need to look into Patterson.

https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libby/

That’s exactly what I’ve been using. I worded my post poorly, I’ve actually used it for years but hadn’t checked anything out in a while. (I get impatient and so have purchased most through Amazon  or Apple.) The two I’ve gotten recently through overdrive had no wait but I also placed holds on my own the new Preston/Child book and one from James Rollins. Those will probably take forever to become available.

Edited by year1buick