Compressed summer tour DCI announcement

Let's give the corps, their directors, their boards and staffs some credit.

The are in bind for the season. On one hand, they've purchased uniforms and equipment plus they've got equipment, real estate and other expenses either paid or due. They have had their revenue streams cut (Bingo Games Closed) and for sure a full season canceled.

But they also have health people on staff and DCI HQ has their people and I am confident they will make the right decision the the corps, the staffs, the fans and marching members.

They are collectively evaluating every decision for the best of all. But on the other hand, if they stand on the sideline, do nothing, they already have a lot invested which will be lost. Kind of like standing on the edge of a pool trying to decide if it's safe to swim. They have to move forward to some degree to stay alive as an organization.

When the risks are minimal, conditions are improved, the mechanics of producing a season of competition are complete, they will let fans know ......... In the meantime, we wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Forget inviting age-outs back.  Bad idea.

And, if you REALLY want them to dazzle you with what they can do, tell them they have one month less to perfect their show.

I think you underestimate the potential of the age-out class; the insult is in presuming that they can't entertain you really well on just five months of practice instead of six.

I totally agree the average age-out is financially ruined for a long time  at the end of the season. Plus they are physically and mentally exhausted.  For the few that win a medal it is a great accomplishment.   For the majority  it is just something to put on their resume. The one and done era is here.  The average top corps is turning over 70% of their members each corps.  The average member cost of $5,000 is what is driving the turnover.  I have first hand knowledge that this is happening.  A two or three year vet in a corps is becoming an  endangered species in the activity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dcifanforlife said:

I totally agree the average age-out is financially ruined for a long time  at the end of the season. Plus they are physically and mentally exhausted.  For the few that win a medal it is a great accomplishment.   For the majority  it is just something to put on their resume. The one and done era is here.  The average top corps is turning over 70% of their members each corps.  The average member cost of $5,000 is what is driving the turnover.  I have first hand knowledge that this is happening.  A two or three year vet in a corps is becoming an  endangered species in the activity.

And the Achilles heel.

It sounds as if DCI is at least somewhat hopeful something can be salvaged though it also understands that may not be possible. Experts are saying that we will see a larger number of cases this week but that will be due to the availability of testing and may not be helpful for predictions. Next week seems to be the critical week number wise. One doctor interviewed on I believe Good Morning America, though I channel hop so I may be wrong, said longer days may be helpful because flu viruses tend to die as the days get longer, and spoke of the virus itself not being very strong, but as soon as he said this he pointed out two other not so great facts, namely it is still a pretty prolific virus and it is a newly discovered virus so there is a great deal we do not know.

I know a professional organization of summer camps has told members to wait before cancelling their season, but to prepare for the worst.Colleges with summer schools are still going forward though one I heard of is not guaranteeing housing. DCI planning for a season, even if modified is not unreasonable at this point. If there is a season, I would not expect it to begin until after a July 4th. They will probably want to hit as many areas as possible, which will mean cancellations. You will probably still have Atlanta and Allentown and a Texas stop. We’ll just have to wait and see.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

It sounds as if DCI is at least somewhat hopeful something can be salvaged though it also understands that may not be possible. Experts are saying that we will see a larger number of cases this week but that will be due to the availability of testing and may not be helpful for predictions. Next week seems to be the critical week number wise. One doctor interviewed on I believe Good Morning America, though I channel hop so I may be wrong, said longer days may be helpful because flu viruses tend to die as the days get longer, and spoke of the virus itself not being very strong, but as soon as he said this he pointed out two other not so great facts, namely it is still a pretty prolific virus and it is a newly discovered virus so there is a great deal we do not know.

I know a professional organization of summer camps has told members to wait before cancelling their season, but to prepare for the worst.Colleges with summer schools are still going forward though one I heard of is not guaranteeing housing. DCI planning for a season, even if modified is not unreasonable at this point. If there is a season, I would not expect it to begin until after a July 4th. They will probably want to hit as many areas as possible, which will mean cancellations. You will probably still have Atlanta and Allentown and a Texas stop. We’ll just have to wait and see.

I just read a report that even though this may ease in the late spring or summer it will be alive again in the fall and winter with a vengeance. And the only way for this to cease is a vaccine and or if 90 percent of the world gets it and survives (with a 3 percent death rate) and we become immune to this strain. 

4 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

Yours is an interesting point.  Serious questions:

What’s your opinion on:  

1. Why is drum corps participation considered resume-worthy

2. Is, and why is, one year (“one and done”) as acceptable, or desirable, as three years is?

3.  What is causing it?  Is it not fun enough to do more than once no matter the cost?  To do it again, does it have to be fun, but at a cheaper cost?

2 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I just read a report that even though this may ease in the late spring or summer it will be alive again in the fall and winter with a vengeance. And the only way for this to cease is a vaccine and or if 90 percent of the world gets it and survives (with a 3 percent death rate) and we become immune to this strain. 

This doesn’t mutate or revive.  Don’t have the quote, but I read the report today.  Google.

19 minutes ago, garfield said:

This doesn’t mutate or revive.  Don’t have the quote, but I read the report today.  Google.

You are the first to demand proof.

"Google" is not a proof.  Can you please provide a link to what you read. 

I see "Citation needed" all the time here.  I always thought it was strange that there was a request for a now defunct '80s Chevy with rear brakes that locked up and a radio that was tilted on it's left side. 

Edited by Continental
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Continental said:

You are the first to demand proof.

"Google" is not a proof.  Can you please provide a link to what you read. 

I see "Citation needed" all the time here.  I always thought it was strange that there was a request for a now defunct '80s Chevy with rear brakes that locked up and a radio that was tilted on it's left side. 

This strain of SARS is rather resilient. It can remain on surfaces for days and can stay in the air for hours without being suspended in vapor. The fact that you can be positive and completely asymptomatic is extremely worrisome. 

It’s going to come in waves. 

Edited by phd-student-TTU
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tim K said:

This is what I sense.  There seems to be a rational pause that prevents a match from being thrown.  This is where a “consortium” of member corps has its greatest benefit. They, as a group, get to, can, and will, make a very serious decision that is first and only in the best interest of their participants.  The system as set up charges the directors with the weight of the decision.  It’s a heavy decision. 

This is also why I push back so hard against the critical armchair directors who claim to have superior knowledge.  Gibbs, Coats, Swaldo, Komnick, Pompel, Farrell, (and all the others) are not unserious people.  They’ll do the right thing.

• Thanks 2