So DCA 2020

7 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Ed, I am optimistic.   Even if the total number of DCA corps shrinks by a few more in number, due to this crisis, there is still enough “meat on those bones” to continue on for several more years.

DCA can fulfill its same mission, the ability to bring education and entertainment joy to many, even if its geographic region of operation is condensed.

I believe there IS time for DCA to remain a contribution to our culture.

🇺🇸

The meat on the bones will be surprising. The DCA units are basically mid season on the budget. Alot of the budget has been allocated. Equipment, Electronics, Horns, Drums, Costumes has either been paid out or under contract. Alot of the staff has either been paid or will need to be paid as the Music and drum book has been written . Add to that the drill designers have either written the books and should have delivered it by now and are going expect to be paid. So there is a lot of expenses on the table that the DCA units are not going to be able to cover with parade fees and tour fees this season. 

I'm sure most of the remaining staff members will be fine foregoing their payments for the rest of the year. I am sure many of them understand the unusual nature of the crisis. But there may be contracts in place that have to be paid considering many of these staff members potentially gave up other paying jobs in order to satisfy the contract they are under. 

While some of the larger DCA units will have some pad in the budget to recover from this...I am going to suggest a great majority of the bottom feeders won't and will have to fold. 

Then there leaves the question about DCA responsibility under contracts with Championships. What monies did they guarantee? 

This is going to be interesting to follow. I do not see it ending well at all. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, camel lips said:

The meat on the bones will be surprising. The DCA units are basically mid season on the budget. Alot of the budget has been allocated. Equipment, Electronics, Horns, Drums, Costumes has either been paid out or under contract. Alot of the staff has either been paid or will need to be paid as the Music and drum book has been written . Add to that the drill designers have either written the books and should have delivered it by now and are going expect to be paid. So there is a lot of expenses on the table that the DCA units are not going to be able to cover with parade fees and tour fees this season. 

I'm sure most of the remaining staff members will be fine foregoing their payments for the rest of the year. I am sure many of them understand the unusual nature of the crisis. But there may be contracts in place that have to be paid considering many of these staff members potentially gave up other paying jobs in order to satisfy the contract they are under. 

While some of the larger DCA units will have some pad in the budget to recover from this...I am going to suggest a great majority of the bottom feeders won't and will have to fold. 

Then there leaves the question about DCA responsibility under contracts with Championships. What monies did they guarantee? 

This is going to be interesting to follow. I do not see it ending well at all. 

i don't think a lot of the payments you reference have actually been made yet. thats usually April/May when they start getting made

43 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i don't think a lot of the payments you reference have actually been made yet. thats usually April/May when they start getting made

AS I said said they have been paid or will NEED to be paid. Contracts are in place for a reason. 

• Thanks 1

Re-payment plans will be readily available.

The cost to borrow money has never been lower.

Any city that hosts a Championship will be MOST willing to cover the contract costs for their facility.

Any Staff Member or Instructor who insists on playing HARDBALL runs the risk of being hired again to this corps or another corps.

Sadly, if you owe an instructor an amount less than $1000 you can force them to go through the process of taking legal action, that in itself might cost $250 filing fee, and a great deal of time and effort to pursue.  They’ll re-negotiate. . . If they are smart.

Edited by Fred Windish

41 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Re-payment plans will be readily available.

The cost to borrow money has never been lower.

Any city that hosts a Championship will be MOST willing to cover the contract costs for their facility.

Any Staff Member or Instructor who insists on playing HARDBALL runs the risk of being hired again to this corps or another corps.

Sadly, if you owe an instructor an amount less than $1000 you can force them to go through the process of taking legal action, that in itself might cost $250 filing fee, and a great deal of time and effort to pursue.  They’ll re-negotiate. . . If they are smart.

Repayment plans only work if you have a viable means of repaying the money back. Loans at this point are a sure way of digging yourself further into a hole. 

With no foreseeable future with the activity as a whole..not knowing if HS across the country are going to reform policies to allow for group activities on campus.. Would you as a board of director be willing to sign on the dotted line and be financially responsible? Do you think a lending institution at this point and time is going to be out lending money to a group that can file bankruptcy at a drop of a hat?? 

I don't see it happening myself. 

• Like 1

i dont think the financial ruin is as bad as imagined.

On 3/31/2020 at 4:53 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i dont think the financial ruin is as bad as imagined.

I expect the fallout to be much worse . 

• Thanks 1

you can. your predictions usually don't line up

• Like 2

Was '06 the hurricane year?  The talk after that year among some in the know was DCA could well go belly up if the Championships ever got washed out.  We're about to find out.  I wish no ill to anyone who is fighting to keep it alive but the declining participation, declining attendance, nearly non-existent public profile and anecdotal evidence - like the lack of activity on this board - all point to an activity in a nose dive.  DCA cannot be saved if there is not a product anyone is interested in buying.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 00Sop said:

Was '06 the hurricane year?  The talk after that year among some in the know was DCA could well go belly up if the Championships ever got washed out.  We're about to find out.  I wish no ill to anyone who is fighting to keep it alive but the declining participation, declining attendance, nearly non-existent public profile and anecdotal evidence - like the lack of activity on this board - all point to an activity in a nose dive.  DCA cannot be saved if there is not a product anyone is interested in buying.

let's be honest...based on attendance the last 2 years, Championships weekend isn't exactly making it rain cash

• Like 1