ESPN planning to air obscure sports---why not DCI?

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

Not enough fans to keep attentive.

ESPN:  "Didn't we already do this band-thing once before and darn-near lost our shirts?"

I think PBS probably made out better with literally no advertising that I remember compared to how ESPN 2 came out of it. Oddly enough, ever since I shifted over to YouTube TV, I've seen more channels dedicated to "sports" that I didn't know existed than ever. Drum Corps marketing has never been very good at adjusting quickly to changing times it seems. But I don't do advertising work so I really don't have anything but an uninformed opinion. 

20 minutes ago, garfield said:

Not enough fans to keep attentive.

ESPN:  "Didn't we already do this band-thing once before and darn-near lost our shirts?"

no they didn't, DCI almost did.

I hope they rerun that one where they drive snowmobiles over open water and see how far they can get before they sink. That was awesome!!

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

no they didn't, DCI almost did.

Well, DCI does have a store with an assortment of new T-shirts, polos, sweatshirts, hoodies.  it just so happens that they're 50% off right now! 

Edited by keystone3ply
addition
  • Haha 1

Well no one ever figured out how they score Australian rules football so what’s the difference between that and DCI.

and in case no one else said it... CORNHOLE!!!

edit: figure 8 racing needs a comeback. Wide World of Sports carried it in the 60s. Cars running a race on a figure 8 course... think about it...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Well, DCI does have a store with an assortment of new T-shirts, polos, sweatshirts, hoodies.  it just so happens that they're 50% off right now! 

DCI paid for it to be on there. DCI took the losses.

• Like 1

I think about 20 years ago there was some deal where Disney was going to take over as a primary sponsor of DCI, moving several DCI champs to Orlando, I think that Disney owning ESPN would have help get it on TV there.  I was out of the US at the time so I did not follow closely at the time. I think one thing that many corps objected to was that DCI week would have been a permanent thing between Gay Days and Right to Life week in Orlando. ( actually this may have become the idea to stay in Indy for a while).  I think the corps were not willing to give Disney control  and I thought that was when the relationship with Disney soured and ESPN being part of Disney is not anxious to deal with DCI again.    This is all second hand rumors I heard long after the events, But what is DCP without crazy and controversial rumors, (Maybe we could add something about GH to make this conversation more controversial).

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the season is cancelled and DCI and the corps are in dire need of financial support, I still think it would be a good idea to flood ESPN with communications about showing a real sporting event, rather than some of the nonsense they are showing to replace their sports programming.

To answer the original question:  Drum corps isn’t a sport. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1