An Algorithm to Prevent Music Copyright Lawsuits?

"Musician Uses Algorithm to Generate Every Possible Melody to Prevent Copyright Lawsuits"

"Working with programmer Noah Rubin, Damien Riehl built software capable of generating 300,000 melodies each second, creating a catalogue of 68 billion 8-note melodies.

The melodies were then copyrighted and released into the public domain in the hope of stifling litigious musicians."

Will it succeed? Would you like it to? If it did, how would that affect drum corps?

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"Musician Uses Algorithm to Generate Every Possible Melody to Prevent Copyright Lawsuits"

"Working with programmer Noah Rubin, Damien Riehl built software capable of generating 300,000 melodies each second, creating a catalogue of 68 billion 8-note melodies.

The melodies were then copyrighted and released into the public domain in the hope of stifling litigious musicians."

Will it succeed? Would you like it to? If it did, how would that affect drum corps?

I want musicians and composers to receive fair compensation for their work but, I also believe it's the record companies who are behind the harsh recording laws. Perhaps this is why more performers are doing their show tours out of the country. I have heard that at some concert venues, they are even doing body searches for recording devices/cameras before admittance.

We'll have to see how this finally gets resolved. It will only affect drum corps and bands even more as they try to use anything from current composers.

Trying to explain copyright and the concept of intellectual property on this forum seems utterly futile, but perhaps we could get agreement that creators, be they composers, choreographers, painters, authors, or drill designers, deserve to have control over the uses of their creations.

Drum corps have had a free ride for 100 years, violating the rights of these people.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ironlips said:

Trying to explain copyright and the concept of intellectual property on this forum seems utterly futile, but perhaps we could get agreement that creators, be they composers, choreographers, painters, authors, or drill designers, deserve to have control over the uses of their creations.

Drum corps have had a free ride for 100 years, violating the rights of these people.

Control for how long? When the U.S. first passed a copyright law, the term was 14 years with a possible extension for another 14 years.

At that time, someone who had reached his 20th year could expect to life to 60 on average.

Now someone who's reached his 20th year can expect to live to 77 on average.

So it might make sense for the maximum copyright term now to be 45 years.

If that were the case, anything composed before 1975 would now be in the public domain.

But it's now anywhere from 75 years to 120 years.

9 hours ago, ironlips said:

Also, in my experience in theatre, it can near-impossible to even get someone to respond to your inquiries, or maybe even to find who owns the rights to a piece.

And what's more: many composers don't see the money supposedly collected by licensing agencies on their behalf.

• Like 1

I see your points, and I'm sure you see mine as well. Facts are facts (even today).

Regardless of duration of copyright, or the well-known abuses of the system by record labels historically cheating the songwriters, those authors are still entitled to royalties.

There seems to be some misguided belief particularly among drum corps folks, that they should be exempt from this legal, and ethical precept. That's why these discussions, on this forum, tend to be futile. Maybe this one will be the exception.

As you probably know, HFA (formerly the Harry Fox Agency) can put you in touch with virtually all publishers of music. Also, Concord/Bycicle Music now holds the rights to almost all music connected to major stage productions.

And you are correct. Sometimes the publishers don't get back to you. I know. I've being producing audio recordings for 40 years. My recourse in those instances is to call in the legal help. Sometimes that gets results.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ironlips said:

There seems to be some misguided belief particularly among drum corps folks, that they should be exempt from this legal, and ethical precept. That's why these discussions, on this forum, tend to be futile. Maybe this one will be the exception.

I absolutely believe that composers deserve compensation. (For a reasonable period of time.)

• Like 1