IF the season is cancelled...

41 minutes ago, Ghost said:

And we can only wonder right now what type of spin they will use when the announcement comes down from Indy.

Why is there a presumption of "spin"?  Why not just presume they're going to tell us the truth about what they see of the season?

Why is there this seeming disdain and distrust of the very people who have brought us the activity we all seem to enjoy so much? 

Isn't that a huge contradiction?

Edited by garfield
  • Like 5

If a Corps has already obtained performance rights for the summer 2020 season, given the highly unlikely (IMHO anyway) chance there is a 2020 season, would the rights carry over to 2021?  Or could the money paid to the copyright holder be applied to 2021, even if a new agreement was required?

21 minutes ago, garfield said:

Why is there a presumption of "spin"?  Why not just presume they're going to tell us the truth about what they see of the season? 

I may have replied to quickly, but I was thinking, at the time, of all the posts by DCI/corps over the years how our corps is going to be great, best talent eva, DCI is strong and doing well,etc., But the dark side of individuals over the decades has basically been ignored and some corps are not doing well.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Mostly because corps did the same stuff year after year  or a version of it

Of course it also depends on what decades you speak of

Corps merely picked music according to their individual identities. Now, the music is secondary to the theme announcements, the posters and the costuming. And corps identities have gone by the wayside.

13 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If a Corps has already obtained performance rights for the summer 2020 season, given the highly unlikely (IMHO anyway) chance there is a 2020 season, would the rights carry over to 2021?  Or could the money paid to the copyright holder be applied to 2021, even if a new agreement was required?

Theatres across the country are having the same discussion with playwrights' agents right now.)

(Meanwhile I believe there some 16 shows that were scheduled to open on Broadway in the next six weeks, all hoping to garner a Tony nomination.)

2 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

Corps merely picked music according to their individual identities.

When I scroll through the repertory listings of the 1970s, it's not at all clear to me that this is true.

36 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Theatres across the country are having the same discussion with playwrights' agents right now.)

(Meanwhile I believe there some 16 shows that were scheduled to open on Broadway in the next six weeks, all hoping to garner a Tony nomination.)

A couple of them have decided to not open at all.  One was a revival of “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolff?”. 

5 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

Corps merely picked music according to their individual identities. Now, the music is secondary to the theme announcements, the posters and the costuming. And corps identities have gone by the wayside.

You can look at it that way or it was same ole same ole. Much more diversity today. It was great back then of course for the times BUT tell a kid they are doing the same thing year after year after year today and see what you end up with. I marched as well as taught in those glory days as well as taught in today's world. For me I would have loved to march a show of today YES with all the bells and whistles.

Now this also doesn't mean I didn't love what we did BITD or respect it. After all, all the little changes that began to happen, yes even in the 70s and 80s led to what we have today. SO without the past we wouldn't be here today.

Also seems that one can look at music is not secondary today. One can look at the past and say " Not much thought into repeating over and over " and much more thought goes into picking the right music today. The difference is IMO is yesterday ( as you said ) music may have been picked on identity  and identity could mean ( what's familiar ) and today it is picked on show but I do think what works for a particular corps BASIC style.

Back on topic It's not a matter of "IF" the season is cancelled anymore.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Why a secret? I never understood that competitive concept. It was never a secret for decades. 

licensing, marketing