Mr. Acheson--it's time.

3 hours ago, garfield said:

...finding a way to make things work will take you much farther in life than demonstrating your enthusiastic willingness to give up the effort...

Your entire post was very well thought out.  But the line quoted above is the best thing I’ve read on here in months!  Just awesome! 

Very inspirational!

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Loaded drum truck for 5 years as way to ride to practice. All too familiar with the metal tymps as they had to be loaded first and then fit everything else around them. Wonder if those tymps had a corps background. Don’t know if bands used those bad ones BITD.

Not sure but I would guess that they were sponsored by the manufacturer since they all looked to be the same size.  I'm going to see if I can find the credits to which they may be acknowledged as a thank you.  But they looked like Yamahas.    

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Algernon said:

It comes down to available housing, parents and money.

Can't see a school system allowing 200+ individuals to stay in their gym for 1-2 days this Summer, not to mention 3-4 weeks in the late Spring

Can't see parents allowing their children to get on a bus and ride around the country for weeks on end.

Can't see corps organizations having the funds to do go on the road without housing or members or.......bingo. Wouldn't be surprised for BD or SCV to make the call to do what's right for their corps and then DCI to follow

One big problem is that neither DCI or corps own/control any of the housing or practice sites or venues.

Even in a normal season,corps lose housing sites at the last minute.

This would be far from a normal season.

From what's been put out by DCI,housing seems to be a big issue.

I can't see anyplace giving any type of "assurance" that they will provide housing.

Or ,if they say they would,changing their mind at any time.

Right now,some places ,where "distance learning" isn't viable,have said they may need to

hold summer classes. 

As has been posted,who would even consider  housing a corps,especially if they might need to be quarantined .

Even if every MM and staff is tested for Covid-19 before the tour,they can get infected,anytime.

Practice facilities are another issue.

There was an article today about how,Olympic athletes in sports like 

swimming,can't find open pools.

If schools are closed,whether a corps is housed there or not,so are all their facilities,including fields.

Right now,there's just too much uncertainty,and I can't see that changing.

38 minutes ago, Algernon said:

It comes down to available housing, parents and money.

Can't see a school system allowing 200+ individuals to stay in their gym for 1-2 days this Summer, not to mention 3-4 weeks in the late Spring

Can't see parents allowing their children to get on a bus and ride around the country for weeks on end.

Can't see corps organizations having the funds to do go on the road without housing or members or.......bingo. Wouldn't be surprised for BD or SCV to make the call to do what's right for their corps and then DCI to follow

You can add in "All it will take is 1 person to be diagnosed with the virus while on tour and 200+ people are quarantined for 2 weeks in who knows whereville USA."

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

One big problem is that neither DCI or corps own/control any of the housing or practice sites or venues.

Even in a normal season,corps lose housing sites at the last minute.

This would be far from a normal season.

From what's been put out by DCI,housing seems to be a big issue.

I can't see anyplace giving any type of "assurance" that they will provide housing.

Or ,if they say they would,changing their mind at any time.

Right now,some places ,where "distance learning" isn't viable,have said they may need to

hold summer classes. 

As has been posted,who would even consider  housing a corps,especially if they might need to be quarantined .

Even if every MM and staff is tested for Covid-19 before the tour,they can get infected,anytime.

Practice facilities are another issue.

There was an article today about how,Olympic athletes in sports like 

swimming,can't find open pools.

If schools are closed,whether a corps is housed there or not,so are all their facilities,including fields.

Right now,there's just too much uncertainty,and I can't see that changing.

Of course, you and Algernon are correct - there are significant impediments to doing "the season" the same way it's always done.  It just won't fit.

This whole event is going to force the activity to reconsider many parts and ways they deal with those parts.  Just "give up"?  Is that what we claim to teach as an activity?  As a country?

Those of you who can see clearly, but then say "I can't see any way...", well...

Sounds Crazy, Might Work

3 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

You can add in "All it will take is 1 person to be diagnosed with the virus while on tour and 200+ people are quarantined for 2 weeks in who knows whereville USA."

And no idea what crowd size will be. People might be putting paying for entertainment on hold if their budget took a hit. And also might be wary of being in a non-social distancing crowd for quite a while. IIIRC 1918 virus hit, went away for a while and then came back with a vengeance in mutated form

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, garfield said:

How does that song go?  "We will survive..."?

First I was afraid.

I was petrified.

• Haha 3

Where we are surrounded by fear, I choose love. 

I thought corps were barely breaking even each year or even losing money. So, logically, cancelling the season would be a financial help wouldn’t it?

• Haha 1