Mr. Acheson--it's time.

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Ohio and Kentucky are GREAT places to live.

Are people coming in from all over the world now?  And would you clarify the bold sentence above?  The population exceeds the population?

New York alone exceeds Kentucky population.

2 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

New York alone exceeds Kentucky population.

Ah, yes. Now I see.

Another reason to love Kentucky.

:whistle:

EDIT:  Of course, if NYers would stop acting like idiots, they might actually help shorten this thing!

"Governor Cuomo slams 'arrogant and insensitive' New Yorkers for going outside, warns 80% of the state will be infected and orders FOUR hospitals for 1,000 coronavirus patients to be built inside the Javits Center"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8140079/Governor-Cuomo-slams-arrogant-New-Yorkers-going-outside-gathering-parks.html

Edited by garfield

9 hours ago, garfield said:

(CAUTION: snark and sardonic sarcasm are employed in this post.  Those sensitive to bright, flashing lights should look away now.)

Congratulations!  You didn't say it was your age-out so I'll presume that you're not 21 yet.

First, thanks for coming back to a discussion board and pronouncing that you're open to discussion!  That helps.  I want to try that - "Do not reply.  I am not open to discussion."  (I just want to see if that works (I'm dubious).

"Pretty much..." is not a sound basis on which to cancel a $20million activity with thousands of participants and hundreds of thousands of fans.  I'm sorry the people you talk to wish something like this to end; in my (apparently much-longer) experience, finding a way to make things work will take you much farther in life than demonstrating your enthusiastic willingness to give up the effort.

And since when have the band kids ever chosen to do what the jocks say, anyway?  "...changed..." is NOT the same as them cancelling.  DCI can change its season, too; apparently, you're OK with that.

"...that the season cannot go on under these circumstances.  It just is what it is."  I don't think anyone even KNOWS what the circumstances will be under which a season could be salvaged.  Once again, "member experience" is revealing that you're approaching this from a very personal standpoint.  Sorry about your missing a season of competitive band, but this learning experience, that may take more than you think you can give (sound familiar?), can also teach valuable lessons to young people who listen to adults telling them what to do.  The only difference this time is that, if you succeed, it will likely be your corps' survival that your fans are applauding.  THAT performance may take a different kind of effort than you thought you'd expend this season. 

"Worse show quality."  I don't think anyone expects a show that is practiced for three months to be as "good" in our judged activity as one practiced for six months.  But, so what?  And, do you mean to imply that members' experience is only good when the season is full-length?  That "good" can't be as enjoyable as Box-5?  Funny, I've been hearing for years that lower-ranking corps provide a great experience for fans and MMs.  Hmm... but you're probably right being on the inside and all.

"Build contingency plans for corps' survival, get a refund out to everyone, and extend eligibility..."  No, no, and no.  DCI won't save drum corps - drum corps will save drum corps.  DCI knows its job really well, and it's not drum corps survival beyond providing a tour on which they can perform.  Refunds?  Pfft, forget it.  Force majeur.  How does DCI do ANYTHING to help if they refund all the ticket money and Friends membership fees?  You know what ticket-buyers have if they are magnanimous and allow DCI to simply keep the ticket money?  A charitable donation.  People who bought tickets can now get warm and fuzzy about helping to save the activity instead of going to a show.  Now, if an individual corps makes a decision to refund a portion of member dues, that's great.  I would hope that most members will find a way to donate some or all of that to the corp's survival, but maybe I'm still thinking decades ago when the activity (and its young members?) weren't so narcissistic. 

"...attendance will be down".  Sorry, but that's not brilliant; if there are fewer shows in the season, there will be fewer fans attending shows this year.  And it's not prescient, either, so it's reasonable to think that DCI's member corps are already considering that in their discussions.

If you can't tell that there's plenty of snark in my reply then perhaps, with a few years' more experience under your belt (any maybe not going on another DCP hiatus), your perception will improve.  The older you get, the smarter the older generations get.  You'll see.

If you trusted your corps director (and the others, too) enough to build this whole thing for you to pay to do, I think you'd go a long way in trusting those same leaders to make a sound and reasonable decision about their programs, and by being ready, willing, and able to raise your hands up to help instead of raising them in exasperation that the adults aren't listening to you. 

Be ready to help.  They're going to need you.  We all hope you learned in drum corps what it takes to achieve a very difficult goal.

"Congratulations!  You didn't say it was your age-out so I'll presume that you're not 21 yet."
This is true.

"Pretty much..." is not a sound basis on which to cancel a $20million activity with thousands of participants and hundreds of thousands of fans.  I'm sorry the people you talk to wish something like this to end; in my (apparently much-longer) experience, finding a way to make things work will take you much farther in life than demonstrating your enthusiastic willingness to give up the effort."

I would say "pretty much" is just fine with the precedent set by the many other events that have been cancelled.  Not to mention the Olympics,  which are worth far more than DCI's $20 million, is currently considering postponing their season and it starts at the end of July.  Even with your "much longer" experience, how naive are you to think I want one of my season's to be cancelled?  The situation we are faced with is much larger than drum corps.

"And since when have the band kids ever chosen to do what the jocks say, anyway?"

You're kidding right?

"...that the season cannot go on under these circumstances.  It just is what it is."  I don't think anyone even KNOWS what the circumstances will be under which a season could be salvaged."

Probably because it would be near impossible to salvage.  You still need three weeks to teach the show, and then some form of a tour.  That would probably require booking large venues (that may or not be available to be booked given the current circumstances).  Not to mention schools that probably don't want to house 154 gross humans.  Drum corps is a cesspool for the virus no matter how long the tour.

"Once again, "member experience" is revealing that you're approaching this from a very personal standpoint.  Sorry about your missing a season of competitive band, but this learning experience, that may take more than you think you can give (sound familiar?), can also teach valuable lessons to young people who listen to adults telling them what to do.  The only difference this time is that, if you succeed, it will likely be your corps' survival that your fans are applauding.  THAT performance may take a different kind of effort than you thought you'd expend this season." 

I don't know what you're insinuating here.  Yeah my opinion is based on having a strong member experience.  And yeah, there will be new lessons to come out of this season, like any other season.

"Worse show quality."  I don't think anyone expects a show that is practiced for three months to be as "good" in our judged activity as one practiced for six months.  But, so what?  And, do you mean to imply that members' experience is only good when the season is full-length?  That "good" can't be as enjoyable as Box-5?  Funny, I've been hearing for years that lower-ranking corps provide a great experience for fans and MMs.  Hmm... but you're probably right being on the inside and all."

You put together a show that you perfectly aim to be able to have championship ready in three months.  Then the season gets cut down to, at best, a month in a half.  At that point you aren't judging quality of show design or what the artistry of the activity anymore, you're judging who recovered from the virus the best.  It would be like putting an asterisk next to whoever marched this season.

"Build contingency plans for corps' survival, get a refund out to everyone, and extend eligibility..."  No, no, and no.  DCI won't save drum corps - drum corps will save drum corps.  DCI knows its job really well, and it's not drum corps survival beyond providing a tour on which they can perform.  Refunds?  Pfft, forget it.  Force majeur.  How does DCI do ANYTHING to help if they refund all the ticket money and Friends membership fees? 

Individual corps should provide refunds, especially if the season hasn't happened yet.  I'm sorry I should have clarified, I meant individual members. Even if it's 50% it is something.  

"I would hope that most members will find a way to donate some or all of that to the corp's survival, but maybe I'm still thinking decades ago when the activity (and its young members?) weren't so narcissistic."

Lol.  

"If you can't tell that there's plenty of snark in my reply then perhaps, with a few years' more experience under your belt (any maybe not going on another DCP hiatus), your perception will improve.  The older you get, the smarter the older generations get.  You'll see."

Yeah, I sure feel educated.

"If you trusted your corps director (and the others, too) enough to build this whole thing for you to pay to do, I think you'd go a long way in trusting those same leaders to make a sound and reasonable decision about their programs, and by being ready, willing, and able to raise your hands up to help instead of raising them in exasperation that the adults aren't listening to you."

I think you forget, most of us are adults ourselves.  Outside of a few select corps, drum corps isn't exactly the most financially responsible activity.  I know many people that have had full seasons where everything looked great and they've gone poorly (to say the least), I would be skeptical, about how a tremendously adjusted season is handled.  Especially when some corps have issues with proper care on good years.

"Be ready to help.  They're going to need you.  We all hope you learned in drum corps what it takes to achieve a very difficult goal."

I am ready for whatever my corps needs me to do.  I signed a contract.  I just cannot help but think any attempts to salvage this season will be a mistake.

Edited by BoaDci
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

June is even late, Jon.  Cases are expected to peak in the US in early April and, if China is any guide, it will be a week or so after that before we report no new cases.  

So, mid-April, or even late April to see new cases stop.  Another month after that, the feasibility of some sort of drum corps season could start is very real.

Logistics are surely the problem, as you and others have state.  Getting housing TODAY might be tough, but maybe not so tough after the peak and the light at the end of the tunnel is upon us.

Accepting the above timeline is correct.Which does seem optimistic.

1.A number of school districts already shut down for the Spring Semester.

Why would they go through the trouble and expense of opening schools to house a corps ?

2.As I posted,I don't see the  restrictions imposed all over the country being lifted all at once.

They'll most likely be removed,incrementally,state by state.

Remove one restriction,wait to see its effect.

So even if new cases stop in April,it could be weeks or months before all

restrictions are lifted.

3.April does seem optimistic.

Was just listening to N.J.'s Governor's Press Conference.

He said "Flattening the Curve" reduces the "peak" number of cases,so

you don't overwhelm you health care system.

But id doesn't do anything to reduce the total number of cases.

So "flattening the curve" extends the time you see new infections.

4.There's going to be significant financial impact on MM ,their families,fans etc.

Their circumstances aren't going to change overnight.

A lot of people are going to have a lot more important things to think about then

entertainment.

They were talking on the news today about families already canceling summer trips,vacations,etc.

because of this.

• Like 2

Yes. DCI executive leadership has done such a bang up job eliminating sexual predators and enacting strong enforceable policies. They’ll be equally awesome and leadery in cancelling the season. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, garfield said:

(CAUTION: snark and sardonic sarcasm are employed in this post.  Those sensitive to bright, flashing lights should look away now.)

Congratulations!  You didn't say it was your age-out so I'll presume that you're not 21 yet.

First, thanks for coming back to a discussion board and pronouncing that you're open to discussion!

This post probably did more to cement the notion that all drum corps boomers are ******* from the perspective of CMMs than anything I’ve ever read on this board.  “YoU aRe YouNg aNd PunY! ShUt Up aNd LiStEn tO Me; mY WizDuM iZ BeTteR.”  I DGAF about the opening “disclaimer” that attempts to whitewash it; it’s hard to believe the moderator let hubris & disrespect of that magnitude pass. 

As a drum corps boomer parent watching his 2020 WC Finalist / DCI Year 7 performer (2021 age out) currently work two jobs (thankfully no cutbacks yet) to make tuition happen they are very much aware of both the risks and the reality, especially since he attended a mid-March camp back East that wasn’t cancelled. For him & his CMM buddies it’s about safety. 

Edited by MikeD
Filter circumvention
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, TRacer said:

. For him & his CMM buddies it’s about safety. 

For what group of people is it NOT all about safety?  Also I’m sorry you got your feelz hurt and felt disrespeckt by reading a post you didn’t agree with. Great job calling for a mod to delete it. It’s pretty much what I’d expect. 

Edited by HockeyDad

2 minutes ago, TRacer said:

This post probably did more to cement the notion that all drum corps boomers are a$$|-|0le$ from the perspective of CMMs than anything I’ve ever read on this board.  “YoU aRe YouNg aNd PunY! ShUt Up aNd LiStEn tO Me; mY WizDuM iZ BeTteR.”  I DGAF about the opening “disclaimer” that attempts to whitewash it; it’s hard to believe the moderator let hubris & disrespect of that magnitude pass. 

As a drum corps boomer parent watching his 2020 WC Finalist / DCI Year 7 performer (2021 age out) currently work two jobs (thankfully no cutbacks yet) to make tuition happen they are very much aware of both the risks and the reality, especially since he attended a mid-March camp back East that wasn’t cancelled. For him & his CMM buddies it’s about safety. 

Thank you!  I'm glad you read it and I'm glad your child is participating.

Your characterization is noted.  I didn't respond with the notion that you DGAF.

It would be better if you simply didn't send your child to march if you agree with the other post that canceling the season is the right thing to do now.  No one needs to wait for them to cancel the season, they can simply not attend.

If they chose to let their summer be dictated by the directors or the activity, don't stand there and scream it should be cancelled. Pretty simple. 

And sorry my post upset you, Boomer.

45 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Yes. DCI executive leadership has done such a bang up job eliminating sexual predators and enacting strong enforceable policies. They’ll be equally awesome and leadery in cancelling the season. 

Well, of course, the other participants, the MM's can exercise their authority by simply not participating.

If Drum Corps says it's OK, and each corps says it's OK, and your's truly says it's not safe, then your's truly stays home.

47 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

But seriously, I wish I could address this without derailing the thread (please don't!).  Perhaps PM me; I'm really curious why you say these things haven't been done. 

Others, please ignore or feel free to PM me, but please don't derail.