Mr. Acheson--it's time.

15 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Wasn't the USS Comfort hospital ship with about 1,000 beds going to be sent to New York?  Or is it not ready to sail?

My understanding is the Comfort and the west coast ship are in port. My guess (based on dealing with ship IT problems) is if they were docked then they were not fully supplied, especially with perishable items like blood. And no idea how medical equipment needs to be stowed if not to be used for a while. And the crew (including medical staff) would not be cooling their heels on ship if ship is docked. Any medical staff are probably working elsewhere at the present but doesn’t look like Norfolk area has been hit too bad. No idea how long it takes to get the supplies and load but I heard few weeks some places

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Wasn't the USS Comfort hospital ship with about 1,000 beds going to be sent to New York?  Or is it not ready to sail?

I thought I read sometime in April, as it is currently having scheduled maintenance performed. 

Nice to see the USNS Comfort being used here, though it is sad that there is a need. My son was posted to the Comfort when it was anchored in Haiti after they had their huge  earthquake a number of years ago. He was an OR tech on active duty in the USN.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, MikeD said:

I thought I read sometime in April, as it is currently having scheduled maintenance performed. 

Nice to see the USNS Comfort being used here, though it is sad that there is a need. My son was posted to the Comfort when it was anchored in Haiti after they had their huge  earthquake a number of years ago. He was an OR tech on active duty in the USN.  

it was under repair and some upgrades, they have shortened that timeline to get it to NYC faster. April now I believe is the goal

the west coast ship was being loaded and staffed for departure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My understanding is the Comfort and the west coast ship are in port. My guess (based on dealing with ship IT problems) is if they were docked then they were not fully supplied, especially with perishable items like blood. And no idea how medical equipment needs to be stowed if not to be used for a while. And the crew (including medical staff) would not be filling their heels on ship if ship is docked. No idea how long it takes to get the supplies and load but I heard few weeks some places

They have a lot of temporary help posted to the ship as-needed. My son was based in CT, and they gave him 24 hours to get to the Comfort. Took a scheduled commercial flight from Logan to Miami, a jet to an aircraft carrier docked near the Comfort, and coptered over to the Comfort. He was one of many.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

They have a lot of temporary help posted to the ship as-needed. My son was based in CT, and they gave him 24 hours to get to the Comfort. Took a scheduled commercial flight from Logan to Miami, a jet to an aircraft carrier docked near the Comfort, and coptered over to the Comfort. He was one of many.

Thanks Mike, my IT responsibilities were an app that dealt with hazardous waste and rest of office with food services. Never dealt with a ship that had a 24 hour notice so good to know

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BoaDci said:

why

I’m not an expert on communicable diseases but thank goodness DCP seems to be stocked full of them.

Today is March 22nd.  There is no need to cancel the entire season at this point.  That is a drastic last step that could be a fatal blow to the activity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I’m not an expert on communicable diseases but thank goodness DCP seems to be stocked full of them.

Today is March 22nd.  There is no need to cancel the entire season at this point.  That is a drastic last step that could be a fatal blow to the activity. 

(emphasis mine)

I don't think many people realize that this is true.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Actually, we're at about day-81.  I believe we're much closer to the end of it than we are the beginning of it.

Global pandemics (for diseases without vaccines) in the 20th Century lasted 12-18 months, and that is what they are predicting for SARS-CoV-2. The first hospitalizations in Wuhan were in December 2019, so this is month 4. If we're lucky, this will all be over by the start of 2021. But it could easily last until mid-2021.

I'm afraid not a single infectious disease expert on the planet shares your optimism.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

Global pandemics (for diseases without vaccines) in the 20th Century lasted 12-18 months, and that is what they are predicting for SARS-CoV-2. The first hospitalizations in Wuhan were in December 2019, so this is month 4. If we're lucky, this will all be over by the start of 2021. But it could easily last until mid-2021.

I'm afraid not a single infectious disease expert on the planet shares your optimism.

Yea, well most infectious disease experts don't vaticinate as well as I do, so there's that.

:tounge2:

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, I'm not.  But OK.  You can disagree.  It's fine.

I appreciate your participation.  My participation puts me at the DCI Janual to see the hundreds of kids there for various participation sessions. 

Thanks, I will. 🤙

My degree of participation extends to the 70s in one form or another (performer, parent, instructor, etc.) and I have information pipelines to the Januals as well. There’s also a 50% chance we have the same dominant hand. This “moral high ground post” is probably the “adult” post that was merited a few pages back. 

• Thanks 1