Mr. Acheson--it's time.

9 hours ago, jonwoody said:

Glad to hear that but Kentucky is not New york or New Jersey, the population far exceeds the state population. With people coming in from all over the world it's grim right now.

Never said we were. Sorry I wanted to say something about how Kentucky is responding to the pandemic. This hillbilly who thinks Kentucky is the only state in the U.S. will crawl back into the holler now.

Reality Checks:

China reported 85 new cases in the past 24 hours.  It's not over for them and it's not going to stop either.

CBS news reports that experts estimate our actual number of infected in the USA is 11x the 35k reported cases due to lack of test availability.  That's 385K!!!!  And expect that number to hit 650k within 21 to 32 days.

18 months is the life cycle.

THIS SEASON ISN"T HAPPENING..

That is all 😞

16 hours ago, garfield said:

Well, then isn't 'X' the big issue then?

And we know how many weeks are demonstrated in Italy.  And we don't have planeloads of Wuhan residents flying into the fashion district of NYC, and we're a hundred times bigger than Italy and we have LOTS more space between us (I've been there each of the last 4 years and the crowds are shocking during the summer).

Yes, 'X' is the big issue.  EDIT: My hunch is that our headline news will not be C-19 by July 1st.

(Where are the big cubes when I need them?)

You don't need planeloads coming from Wuhan. It started in China with ONE case. It then blew up across all of China - which it's nice to mention that China and US have very close to the same land area. As others have mentioned, though, this comparison only means things would more slowly spread in the US. Which is a GOOD thing for hospital resources, and is exactly what people are hoping for. It is a BAD thing for the potential upcoming season.

14 hours ago, garfield said:

Yes, if contagious infected kids are put in...

Even if everyone at the start of the season is 100% free from the virus, it is guaranteed at least one person will catch it during the tour. They are around a lot more people than just those immediately around them on the field, and it will absolutely enter into one of the groups. That group will then need to be put on quarantine. Not to mention the fans. Go to an event like this, and someone in the crowd will almost be guaranteed to have it.

14 hours ago, garfield said:

Yep.  And what if confirmed cases peaks by April 15 and by May 1st everyone is back to work?

Here in China, we are back to work. I've been back to work for about 3 weeks now. Some here just started back today. Others are still unable to start back to work. It is not like flipping a switch and everyone gets back to work immediately, or at least it SHOULDN'T be. If it is, then get ready for Quarantine Part 2 in a few weeks when it cycles back around.

12 hours ago, garfield said:

70 days.  

First reports on Dec 31 to March 12 when Chinese officials reported "no new cases".  EDIT: Remember, this is NOT to the peak; this is to "no new cases".

That would mean from the January 19th first report in the US, 70 days is 10 weeks, or March 29th.

And I contend that case reports will peak earlier in the US, for lots of reasons.

Do you think Dr. Fauci is under the assumption that our report-to-peak cycle will be different? 

12 hours ago, garfield said:

June is even late, Jon.  Cases are expected to peak in the US in early April and, if China is any guide, it will be a week or so after that before we report no new cases.  

So, mid-April, or even late April to see new cases stop.  Another month after that, the feasibility of some sort of drum corps season could start is very real.

Logistics are surely the problem, as you and others have state.  Getting housing TODAY might be tough, but maybe not so tough after the peak and the light at the end of the tunnel is upon us.

This would only apply if the US is 100% copying how Chinese cities have responded to this. It should absolutely be assumed that the report-to-peak cycle will be different. Even under the best of circumstances, the peak would be different between two different nations. The US is NOT handling this situation well, though.

I've previously talked about how Wuhan handled the situation vs. the city where I've lived now for a few years - Shanghai. For those interested, click here. So let me now talk about how the US is handling it as well. I'll use NYC, simply due to the sizes being the only thing close enough in scale.

Shanghai: Population - 25 Million, COVID-19 Cases - 370, COVID-19 Deaths - 3
Beijing: Population - 21.5 Million, COVID-19 Cases - 512, COVID-19 Deaths - 8

NYC: Population - 8.6 Million, COVID-19 Cases - 11,000, COVID-19 Deaths - 63

Not every city in China has handled it as well as Shanghai and Beijing (to a lesser extent), obviously. But not every city in the US is handling it as well as NYC, either. 

Back to my area now. When this virus entered Shanghai, it entered as one single case originally. When it entered NYC, it entered as one single case. It doesn't matter where those cases came from, but those numbers show something is not being done quite right. The US is not handling this well right now.

Here in China, as I talked about in the previous post, I'm STILL having to have my temperature scanned multiple times each day and you're expected to wear a mask anytime you're outside of your home. I've now been back at work for 3 weeks now, after a full month of quarantine - which was originally mandated for everyone here. If you go from one city to another, you must quarantine for two weeks now. Doesn't matter if it's domestic or foreign travel. Fly from Beijing to Shanghai? That'll be two weeks in home-quarantine. Fly from Bangkok to Shanghai? Two weeks in a hotel quarantine near the airports. I look at how the US is handling things, and I look at how China's largest cities are handling things... If you think the US is going to be seeing the same peak... a rude awakening is in store. It's nowhere near over here in China, and the US has a long ways to go as well. Even when it calms past the peak, it still would be unwise to do a tour. Should the members remain safe, with them going state to state like they do - it could just end up carrying the virus even more than it already has been. That can happen even if we're past the 'peak'.

This isn't a call to PANIC PANIC PANIC!! But we need to not constantly brush concerns aside and be so dismissive when there's no grasp on the true reality we're now living in.

I do not want the season cancelled. I understand the entire activity could be at risk should that be what happens. But more and more I'm not seeing how it can continue. Corps housing may be one of the biggest challenges, but we have to first look at the safety challenge itself.

Edited by JustEnjoyIt
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Not having a 2020 tour could be a fatal blow to the activity?  Really?  So. Huh. How can I say this delicately. So, a possibility to rebuild this thing from the ground floor?  A possibility to revisit the use of the bells, whistles and toys employed today?  Hmmmm....

Sounds Crazy, Might Work

SHUT IT DOWN  period.  Anything else is complete denial of the facts.

55 minutes ago, EricS said:

SHUT IT DOWN  period.  Anything else is complete denial of the facts.

Yes, do this.

The "Creative Destruction" it inspires will be breathtaking!

For those that survive, anyway.

I wonder if those calling to simply shut it down will be anywhere near the front of the line to willingly support the activity when the activity calls for help, financial and otherwise.

I hope so.

Edited by garfield
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

a month may be too late for some financial decisions corps have to put in motion

Well, “DCI is the corps” so, each corps could and I guess should individually pull the plug on their season. They could do it today. Apparently this is another one of those decisions that isn’t Acheson’s job. /s

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, “DCI is the corps” so, each corps could and I guess should individually pull the plug on their season. They could do it today. Apparently this is another one of those decisions that isn’t Acheson’s job. /s

Great point!

The decision to operate/not operate is best left to EACH corps. Dan Acheson carries out and supports the plans of the collective decision-makers.

This is quite similar to what is happening nationwide. Each STATE GOVERNOR is responsible for it’s own response. Some are doing a good job, some are doing something else. In Pennsylvania, our Governor is acting a little heavy-handed in my opinion.

• Like 1

I don't know if this has been posted.

Yesterday Steve Mnuchin said the "lock down" was likely to last 

"10-12 weeks,or early June".

That's just the lock down.

Then each state has to lift their own restrictions.

Which,as I've I posted,will most likely be done incrementally.

Then the shuttered businesses that survive,can start to reopen.

As has also been posted,the Olympics will either be postponed,at least a

year,or a number of athletes or countries will boycott.

#DCI,what are you waiting for ?

38 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Someone posted earlier when talking about The Cadets,that DCI corps can't

withdraw from the 2020 season unless DCI allows it.

I don't know if that's true.

If it is,then DCi needs to step up to the plate,now.

Edited by rpbobcat