Mr. Acheson--it's time.

In your best sniveling voices everybody say it together - “but it’s not my jooooobbbb”. 

Here’s what a leader does sometimes - even if they don’t know if they have the authority, they act, and most times, people line up behind them and follow. Dan should have already contacted the directors (perhaps he has), with this message - I’m going to pull the plug on the season. Assuming most go along, he does it. Maybe that will happen today. Or very soon. 

5 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Just tell me you will avenge my death. We’re gonna need Ream to hide a gun behind the restaurant toilet for you. 

Oh, I will.  And I won't make such a mess in the restaurant, either.

8 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

In your best sniveling voices everybody say it together - “but it’s not my jooooobbbb”. 

Here’s what a leader does sometimes - even if they don’t know if they have the authority, they act, and most times, people line up behind them and follow. Dan should have already contacted the directors (perhaps he has), with this message - I’m going to pull the plug on the season. Assuming most go along, he does it. Maybe that will happen today. Or very soon. 

You've never met Dave Gibbs, Jim Coates, (and other directors) have you?

These are the corps directors.  Dan works FOR them.  If he's says he's pulling the plug and they don't agree, you know what happens?  The plug is not pulled.

If they say "Pull the Plug" and Dan says No, they fire him (by BoD vote agreement) and replace him.

In about a zillion years they haven't done that (fired him), but I guarantee that there have been multiple instances over the years where his declarations have been summarily rejected and ignored.

I'm sorry that truth doesn't fit your notion of a DCI leader, but it is the absolute truth.  Dan serves to be the very best ED that his member corps want him to be; I think he'd agree that he's not always successful at that but it doesn't change the fact of its truth.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

Without question, the two most important considerations for all drum corps is simply the health and safety of their participants and the continued existence of their organizations.

The first one is easy if one believes the high-pitched hype from those with pure and transparent foresight (/sarcasm), but the second is quite different.

For some corps, calling off the season is the equivalent to :giljotiini:

The second doesn't have to be the case. At one point, this whole activity survived - hell, thrived, with all volunteer management and instructional teams.

The corps who are going to be most in danger of a non-season are those who might not remember or know what that felt like, but I honestly don't think there are many who, if they had to, couldn't mothball for six months and restart in the fall with auditions. Only those who can't come up with any way to cover their monthly expenses through fan/alumni donations and volunteer time would be hurt, and in the case of a national emergency, which is what this is, I'd like to believe that every element of the activity will step up.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

Unless, by some miracle, a vaccine is developed by summer AND it is widely available (hang on to that dream), you can forget about a summer season. To think otherwise is just wishful thinking. This is a novel, highly contagious virus. Only the previously infected are (presumably) immune. Social distancing measures are the proverbial finger in the dike until a vaccine is developed. If it peaks this month or next, it’s only going to be because of the increased pressure we’re applying. Let that off and the bleeding will continue, cases will start to rise again. (They’ve already seen an uptick in Hong Kong after relaxing a bit.) We’re going to have our backs against the wall until a vaccine is available. 

• Like 2

So how short a season makes sense?

a three week ST and a three week tour is about as short as I can picture. 

under that scenario  move in would need to be 6/28 and first show maybe 18 then u would have a couple regionals then worlds 

how short is worth it? 

15 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

So how short a season makes sense?

a three week ST and a three week tour is about as short as I can picture. 

under that scenario  move in would need to be 6/28 and first show maybe 18 then u would have a couple regionals then worlds 

how short is worth it? 

It's really not.

Too much $$ will be spent trying to hold a short season only to find that it can't proceed.

"All it takes is one student to get sick on a bus..."

• Like 3