Mr. Acheson--it's time.

13 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I see Florida's governor just announced that visitors from New York and New Jersey must self-quarantine for two weeks.

That's rather like the travel policies in China described by JustEnjoyIt above, and possibly the right call.

Although the virus is probably well established in Florida's population at this point.

only for people FLYING in to Florida. no way are they going to be stopping and quarantining people on I-95. And this is the time of year when the snowbirds start their northern migration.

10 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Some of y’alls hypotheticals for a salvaged season are downright bizarre.
leasing sleeper busses? KOA campgrounds? School parking lots? Please, just accept the writing on the wall. 

Sometimes the bizarre becomes the seed that makes things grow again. 

That being said, even if we had a shortened season, there would always be an asterisk next to it....the "Oh - that was because of this so it doesn't really compare to any other season."

IMO DCI can have a space next to 2020.  That space is filled with stories and heartbreak for so many we know. 

We will all remember this time as one of redefining much of our lives.

Edited by Continental
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

April 1st! 

Of all days....

Weird thing I’m seeing in PA is supermarkets pushing that the first hour they open is for seniors and people with suppressed immune systems. Went to one store and have seen pics from other stores. I’d say that this is when the stores are most crowded and people jammed up waiting for the doors to open is sickening to see. Young people at Spring break aren’t the only (can I say idiots?).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, garfield said:

(...if you need a mortgage)

I'm kidding!  Come on, that was funny.

(But seriously, decent offer.  Would have been better if you'd offered your house and car, but nice offer anyway.  :tounge2:)

we're a few states away. and my help wasn't giving a mortgage, offering help as he navigates the process.

plus if he stayed here, the out of school mom and out of school 7 year old butting heads all day in home school would scare him off. thats why i set up shop in the basement

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Yes, I fully agree.  I was talking about DCI refunding ticket purchases.

I'd think corps prorating by the day all of the costs so far (bus leases lost, food restocking charges, cancellation charges for travel and hotels, staff costs, camps so far...)  refund from the day DCI makes the announcement.

Then, make a drastic effort to retain those payments as charitable donations to the corps.  It's going to take phone calls from every board member, and it's going to take MM's appeals to their parents, and it's going to take recognition that, despite this being a "wealthy kid's hobby", many families won't be able to contribute because they need the money more than the corps does.

i think it was 2011 the weekend before DCA was washed out due to a hurricane. The Bucs offered a choice....we send back your ticket money or you can donate it to us. I know several people that said keep it.

i'm not rich, but i'd donate my East ticket money back to DCI if offered.

47 minutes ago, garfield said:

In all fairness, DCI's "Dan-office" DOES need to, first, hear from each drum corps and, second, assemble the voting members to take the vote, then, third, coordinate the message.

Each corps has to call a Board meeting (herding cats), discuss, and ratify a decision in order to pass on to their voting member their decision.

Then DCI's BoD can take a vote based on that.  And, only AFTER all of that, will DCI make a formal statement.

Of course, the IOC had to coordinate COUNTRIES to make their decision, but yeah, we can wait.

could be this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

only for people FLYING in to Florida. no way are they going to be stopping and quarantining people on I-95. And this is the time of year when the snowbirds start their northern migration.

Hawaii did the same

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Of all days....

Weird thing I’m seeing in PA is supermarkets pushing that the first hour they open is for seniors and people with suppressed immune systems. Went to one store and have seen pics from other stores. I’d say that this is when the stores are most crowded and people jammed up waiting for the doors to open is sickening to see. Young people at Spring break aren’t the only (can I say idiots?).

They started this last Thursday where I live in North Jersey.

As I posted before,I drive past one of the stores on my way to work.

First couple of days, lines were around the building before they opened.

People were crazy,including bringing friends or relatives to help,with carts full of

TP and PT.

By this morning,only a couple of people no lines at opening. 

• Like 1