Mr. Acheson--it's time.

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i think it was 2011 the weekend before DCA was washed out due to a hurricane. The Bucs offered a choice....we send back your ticket money or you can donate it to us. I know several people that said keep it.

i'm not rich, but i'd donate my East ticket money back to DCI if offered.

I’d rather give it to an individual corps.  

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

They started this last Thursday where I live in North Jersey.

As I posted before,I drive past one of the stores on my way to work.

First couple of days, lines were around the building before they opened.

People were crazy,including bringing friends or relatives to help,with carts full of

TP and PT.

By this morning,only a couple of people no lines at opening. 

Think tomorrow I’ll drive by in afternoon and again about hour before closing and check the parking lot. Bro in law hit different store after work (before he went stay at home) and said no mobs.

Cancelling, soon, would be less of financial hardship than continuing to operate as if the season will be a go. Sure, losing the opportunity to gain revenue will hurt. But a corps has to burn through a mountain of cash -- about a month of instructional time, staff travel and corps logistical support (food, facility rental) -- before it can even start to bring in show revenue. And while show revenue for an entire season is not nothing, it is less meaningful to a corp's annual revenue total than tuition. If a season is to be cancelled, the No. 1 revenue lamentation is lost tuition, not lost show revenue. Cancellation sooner rather than later at least plugs up the holes in the bottom of the bucket. Less water will flow into the top of the bucket, of course, but the outflow is minimized. The longer a corps continues as if the season is a possibility, the longer those holes in the bottom remain open, and when the season inevitably is canceled, all those tuition refunds will leave less water in the bucket than would have been the case if the holes had been plugged sooner.

The headwinds against a 2020 season are mighty. Set aside the armchair hair-splitting about whether the new-case inflection point will arrive soon enough that we could start spring training on time. How many kids, even if they were gung-ho to jump into spring training in May, are going to have the money? Their part-time jobs, which were providing the money they were saving to pay tuition, are gone. Or, their parents, once glad to help with tuition, now either have lost their jobs, or are on such thin financial ice that every last penny is being hoarded to keep the family solvent. Epidemiology ain't the half of it; pure financial self-preservation is making a summer DCI tour look like an extravagant luxury for the forseeable future.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Coronavirus update (March 23) by Drum Corps Associates

On Sunday, March 22, the Board of Drum Corps Associates held an emergency conference call with all their member corps directors to discuss the ongoing concerns and impact of the Coronavirus on its member corps as well as the entire DCA community. The corps directors shared their concerns, challenges and options as it relates to its members, staff and sponsors. The DCA board
has been in constant communication with our host sponsor, Lycoming County Visitors Bureau and the City of Williamsport, who have assured DCA that they will work with DCA and are excited about future opportunities to host the DCA World Championships.

All DCA corps have canceled their in person rehearsals and meetings adhering to Federal, State & Local laws, restrictions and guidance (President's Guidelines PDF 0316).  DCA member corps have been utilizing virtual and cloud technologies in order to keep their membership(s) engaged.  Some of the issues discussed on the call  concern the availability of show venuesites, what would an abbreviated season look like, and what kind of strategic planning would be required should the entire season be canceled.
The DCA board and its member corps agreed to meet on a regular basis while monitoring the situation over the next few weeks.

The DCA Board as well as all its DCA member corps continue to be vigilant and committed to protecting performers, staff, families, volunteers, fans, corporate sponsors, and all who partner with the DCA community.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, JustEnjoyIt said:

Here in China, we are back to work. I've been back to work for about 3 weeks now. Some here just started back today. Others are still unable to start back to work. It is not like flipping a switch and everyone gets back to work immediately, or at least it SHOULDN'T be. If it is, then get ready for Quarantine Part 2 in a few weeks when it cycles back around.

Here in China, as I talked about in the previous post, I'm STILL having to have my temperature scanned multiple times each day and you're expected to wear a mask anytime you're outside of your home. I've now been back at work for 3 weeks now, after a full month of quarantine - which was originally mandated for everyone here. If you go from one city to another, you must quarantine for two weeks now. Doesn't matter if it's domestic or foreign travel. Fly from Beijing to Shanghai? That'll be two weeks in home-quarantine. Fly from Bangkok to Shanghai? Two weeks in a hotel quarantine near the airports. I look at how the US is handling things, and I look at how China's largest cities are handling things... If you think the US is going to be seeing the same peak... a rude awakening is in store. It's nowhere near over here in China, and the US has a long ways to go as well. Even when it calms past the peak, it still would be unwise to do a tour. Should the members remain safe, with them going state to state like they do - it could just end up carrying the virus even more than it already has been. That can happen even if we're past the 'peak'.

Bueller? Bueller?

Again glad for your perspective, which I reread for your comment about a "rude awakening", in light of something published on March 16 by a prominent think tank: "Coronavirus Perspective". In that column, the author, who teaches law at New York University and the University of Chicago, argued, one week ago today:

"From this available data, it seems more probable than not that the total number of cases world-wide will peak out at well under 1 million, with the total number of deaths at under 50,000 (up about eightfold). In the United States, if the total death toll increases at about the same rate, the current 67 deaths should translate into about 500 deaths at the end. Of course, every life lost is a tragedy—and the potential loss of 50,000 lives world-wide would be appalling—but those deaths stemming from the coronavirus are not more tragic than others, so that the same social calculus applies here that should apply in other cases." (emphasis added)

Today, which I repeat is just one week after that column was written, the U.S. death toll is 546.

That prediction was made as part of an argument that the U.S. doesn't need to take any drastic measures.

(Or as another wag put it: "We can't err on the side of caution anymore. That's the strategy of losers.")

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Speaking of perspectives that haven't aged well: back January, I recall some folks suggesting that the coronavirus outbreak, while unfortunate for those falling ill in China, might prove to be a good thing for the U.S. because it could encourage American companies not to outsource to that country. Ah, well.

• Thanks 2

On the upside, I guess, we're living through a memorable period of history. Future economics textbooks will include figures (full chart here) like this, and we can tell our grandkids how it was back in the wild COVID times:

ETvZvnYXQAI1bJ5?format=png&name=small

Once this passes, the jobs numbers ought to recover a lot faster than after the last recession. But for now: yikes!

• Like 2

That said, has anyone else started to see comments suggesting that it's not worthwhile to take these extraordinary measures that hurt our economy just to save the lives of a few million older people? If that's your attitude, man up and just take grandma up to the mountain now. Go old school or go home.

balladofnarayama.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of grandmas, I saw a joke last week about how in 2050, the grandchildren of millennials will be annoyed by how their linen closets are stacked with packages of toilet paper sent by grandma "just in case".

ETzBv_KWoAETM3j?format=jpg&name=small

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That said, has anyone else started to see comments suggesting that it's not worthwhile to take these extraordinary measures that hurt our economy just to save the lives of a few million older people? If that's your attitude, man up and just take grandma up to the mountain now. Go old school or go home.

balladofnarayama.jpg

I am thinking of giving my 96 year old mother a pistol and one bullet for her birthday.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

balladofnarayama.jpg

Well, they were calling it the “Boomer Remover”. 

• Thanks 1