Mr. Acheson--it's time.

So when are the first pre-season show scheduled and what is first date for competition?

And what if DCI decided to have some sort of season and number of people in the stands sucked? Would that hurt DCI and the corps more or less than cancelling. Would having shows take a big financial hit by lack of audience cause some to close up forever?

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, of course, the other participants, the MM's can exercise their authority by simply not participating.

If Drum Corps says it's OK, and each corps says it's OK, and your's truly says it's not safe, then your's truly stays home.

If DCI HQ has not responsibility why do they exist?  To schedule Lucas Oil Stadium?

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

But seriously, I wish I could address this without derailing the thread (please don't!).  Perhaps PM me; I'm really curious why you say these things haven't been done. 

Others, please ignore or feel free to PM me, but please don't derail.

Fred Morrison. No way should he have been allowed to continue in this activity. I will stop there but that’s one example

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, garfield said:

If they chose to let their summer be dictated by the directors or the activity, don't stand there and scream it should be cancelled. Pretty simple. 

And sorry my post upset you, Boomer.

I ain’t upset; you’re just adding to the DC generational divide. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

"Governor Cuomo slams 'arrogant and insensitive' New Yorkers for going outside, warns 80% of the state will be infected and orders FOUR hospitals for 1,000 coronavirus patients to be built inside the Javits Center" 

Wasn't the USS Comfort hospital ship with about 1,000 beds going to be sent to New York?  Or is it not ready to sail?

Edited by Ghost

49 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

If DCI HQ has not responsibility why do they exist?  To schedule Lucas Oil Stadium?

Yes.  And the tour.  I thought this was clear?

DCI's job is to organize, manage, and maximize income from, the tour.  The DCI offices used to have many other responsibilities like I&E, marketing, outreach for the whole activity but that has changed over the years.  The BoD hires the ED and the membership votes in the voting representative members.

That said, and I've thought of this today, too, there are actually three four decision metrics that have to happen in order for a season to proceed:  DCI has to have confidence that they can arrange venues for corps to perform, corps directors have to agree to field their corps (or enough of them to make a "show"), and participant MM's have to be able to trust their corps' leaders and show up.  EDIT: Add fans.  The fans have to want to come to a show enough to risk sitting shoulder to shoulder.

If any one of those three is not on board, then, well, there's no season.

Edited by garfield

On 3/21/2020 at 3:52 PM, Phantom56 said:

Given that the Tokyo Olympics will certainly be postponed or cancelled, and the ongoing news this weekend, it is time for DCI to announce the closure of the 2020 season. The kids and instructors deserve to know, as well as us fans. Corps should go on lockdown till the end of the summer, decrease expenses, and do nothing but fund-raise.  

so the IOC just said they would decide in four weeks...

DCI let's consider this matter in a month!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TRacer said:

I ain’t upset; you’re just adding to the DC generational divide. 

No, I'm not.  But OK.  You can disagree.  It's fine.

Your child deserves every ounce of credit for his dedication to the activity.  But I wouldn't charge a young person like that with being responsible for the decision-making of a million-dollar non-profit.  As I said a bit ago, participant buy-in is absolutely necessary, but it's not singular.  

I appreciate your participation.  My participation puts me at the DCI Janual to see the hundreds of kids there for various participation sessions.  Their comments and input are encouraged in all kinds of seminars related to participating in drum corps.  But they don't, generally, participate in the executive sessions or, in fact, in most of the business meetings of most drum corps.

This activity is led by adults.  That doesn't say that kids' input isn't necessary or important, it is and it's solicited with enthusiasm.  But only a small portion of these MM's are adults; asking them to do anything other than trust their parents and directors to make the best decision for their safety is not appropriate or, in the purest sense, legal.

It's only my suggestion - and you've agreed that I'm a nobody - that it doesn't make good sense or form to both trust the adults and, at the same time, throw insinuations that they're uninformed, dragging their feet, somehow not seeing the full picture, and obligated to listen to the young people in their charge for final decision-making at a critical time like this.  Your mileage may vary.

Edited by garfield

27 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So when are the first pre-season show scheduled and what is first date for competition?

And what if DCI decided to have some sort of season and number of people in the stands sucked? Would that hurt DCI and the corps more or less than cancelling. Would having shows take a big financial hit by lack of audience cause some to close up forever?

6/25 is the scheduled first show. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

Accepting the above timeline is correct.Which does seem optimistic.

1.A number of school districts already shut down for the Spring Semester.

Why would they go through the trouble and expense of opening schools to house a corps ?

uh - schools host events/things all summer, including summer school, community sports, youth leagues, part time office staffs, and yes, even drum corps...

• Like 1