Mr. Acheson--it's time.

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

No worries. Garfield is going to PROVE to us all very shortly how Dan is leading.  I guess for the rest of you it’s enough to giggle at each other about the secrets you all know. 

we've proven it many times. you refuse to accept and understand how DCI and Dan's job is structured

Edited by Jeff Ream

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

No worries. Garfield is going to PROVE to us all very shortly how Dan is leading.  I guess for the rest of you it’s enough to giggle at each other about the secrets you all know. 

No, I'm going to prove that Dan A does not have, and does not want to have, the authority to cancel the season, stop corps from dropping out, or force corps to do any particular thing in this situation.

Dan's job is to run the tour.  If you need proof of that to believe I'm right, just say so and I'll produce it.

(BTW, you can find this proof yourself by just reading any of the business plans issued in recent years.)

This is no secret and I'm not snickering at you because I know something you don't (not my style), but I presumed you are a self-sufficient Midwesterner and would have sourced the answer yourself by now.

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

By DCI?  Other directors?  Their Boards?

Who is pressuring?

You don't need to out sources (I think you know I'd not as THAT).  But other posters here are not privy to your source comments and will make up their own stories if you don't clarify.

No need to light fires for them when they're constantly rubbing sticks together anyway.

some corps say pull the plug now. guidance from on high is to please wait. you're a smart and connected guy

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

Now, now.  We're all friends here, right?

it's not personal, it's business.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's not personal, it's business.

That means HockeyDad gets gunned down at the causeway.

STAY INSIDE, HOCKEYDAD!  DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE OR USE ANY ROAD WITH A TOLL BOOTH!  AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

😀

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

some corps say pull the plug now. guidance from on high is to please wait. you're a smart and connected guy

Ahh, your answer makes me believe that, by "Wait", they want the message to be consistent and singular.  

This is a "brotherhood" of corps.  It's not asking much for the WC members to give ALL corps the chance to meet and decide. 

I wouldn't call that "pressure".  More like a suggestion for the gain of a consistent message.

I'm sure there's sensitivity to differing messages indicating a fractured community of corps.  No sense when a single voice and office can field whatever questions come in from fans or other interested parties.

Big G is correct. It's not Dan's call, exclusively, though he certainly would be expected to have an opinion that he'd share with the members. Many of the member corps Boards and executive staffs have been discussing the situation for several weeks now, and then meeting jointly with the DCI staff to discuss the options. Reportedly several of them have already come down to a decision to not field, but they're holding off announcing until there's a consensus opinion on the season, which might not happen until two or three weeks from now.

That being said, even if, in the next two weeks, tens millions of more tests were administered (ain't gonna happen) and the virus is brought into control through focused quarantines, etc, etc,  the lack of summer housing options will be the biggest obstacle, and an unwillingness for many parents or members to have kids out on the road this summer won't help.  

With everything on hiatus, there's probably no rush here, but the smart ones should be lookin at how they survive the next two business quarters to get into the new season in relatively healthy shape.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, garfield said:

That means HockeyDad gets gunned down at the causeway.

STAY INSIDE, HOCKEYDAD!  DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE OR USE ANY ROAD WITH A TOLL BOOTH!  AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

😀

Just tell me you will avenge my death. We’re gonna need Ream to hide a gun behind the restaurant toilet for you. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Big G is correct. It's not Dan's call, exclusively, though he certainly would be expected to have an opinion that he'd share with the members. Many of the member corps Boards and executive staffs have been discussing the situation for several weeks now, and then meeting jointly with the DCI staff to discuss the options. Reportedly several of them have already come down to a decision to not field, but they're holding off announcing until there's a consensus opinion on the season, which might not happen until two or three weeks from now.

That being said, even if, in the next two weeks, tens millions of more tests were administered (ain't gonna happen) and the virus is brought into control through focused quarantines, etc, etc,  the lack of summer housing options will be the biggest obstacle, and an unwillingness for many parents or members to have kids out on the road this summer won't help.  

With everything on hiatus, there's probably no rush here, but the smart ones should be lookin at how they survive the next two business quarters to get into the new season in relatively healthy shape.

Without question, the two most important considerations for all drum corps is simply the health and safety of their participants and the continued existence of their organizations.

The first one is easy if one believes the high-pitched hype from those with pure and transparent foresight (/sarcasm), but the second is quite different.

For some corps, calling off the season is the equivalent to :giljotiini: