Mr. Acheson--it's time.

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It seems like years ago that people were saying COVID19 was no big deal because the flu kills anywhere from 12,000 to 61,000 Americans each year (though it would be more if not for people getting flu shots annually). But now we have people talking about letting hundreds of thousands or even millions die (2.5% of Americans = 8 million) in order not to disturb the economy.

This is the most grotesque mischaracterization I have ever seen.

"Not to disturb the economy"?  Really?  Millions are out of work.  Entire industries are shut down.  Markets are taking a depression-level hit.  We are infinitely far past "not disturbing the economy", and we are doing it voluntarily.  No one is saying we should "not disturb the economy".  No one.

At that rate of increase (averaging 33% per day), there would be 380,000 COVID19 deaths in this country by April 15.

Here we go again with the statistical scare campaign.

(Now it almost certainly won't be that high that fast, because plenty of steps are now being taken to fight the outbreak. 

Then why did you make up that scary number in the first place?

That said, the number of automobile deaths each year would be about four times higher than it is if not for a lot of money spent on safety features.)

Lockdowns will reduce the number of automobile deaths significantly, as well as those from COVID-19.  Should we make the lockdowns permanent, then?

Edited by cixelsyd
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Speaking of perspectives that haven't aged well: back January, I recall some folks suggesting that the coronavirus outbreak, while unfortunate for those falling ill in China, might prove to be a good thing for the U.S. because it could encourage American companies not to outsource to that country.

Any sentence combining "coronavirus outbreak" and "good thing" is not going to age well.

There is an underlying premise, though, that is worth noting.  If the proper response to a pandemic is to limit the movement of all things that can carry a viable virus, then local sourcing becomes very important.  Most specifically, for essential goods, it would seem wise for their supply chains to be entirely domestic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That said, has anyone else started to see comments suggesting that it's not worthwhile to take these extraordinary measures that hurt our economy just to save the lives of a few million older people?

No.

But just speaking hypothetically, what if some extent of economic/societal damage caused more deaths than the worst-case virus scenario?  Should no one even ask that question?

At this point I would be satisfied if DCI wanted to hold off until making a decision if DCI did the following: I would like them to announce a date when a final decision would be made, I would say no later than mid-April. I would also think that an announcement allowing those veterans who have already been issued contracts and have signed them and would age out this year permission to march next year would be helpful. I would also want corps to be required to honor contracts issued for 2020 in 2021.  Given the reality of student loans and what will probably be a tight job market, we may not be talking about huge numbers of would be age outs who will take advantage of one more year of eligibility.  For ticket holders, DCI should announce that if the season in cancelled, tickets for shows it sponsors will be refunded or honored in 2021.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Tim K said:

At this point I would be satisfied if DCI wanted to hold off until making a decision if DCI did the following: I would like them to announce a date when a final decision would be made, I would say no later than mid-April. I would also think that an announcement allowing those veterans who have already been issued contracts and have signed them and would age out this year permission to march next year would be helpful. I would also want corps to be required to honor contracts issued for 2020 in 2021.  Given the reality of student loans and what will probably be a tight job market, we may not be talking about huge numbers of would be age outs who will take advantage of one more year of eligibility.  For ticket holders, DCI should announce that if the season in cancelled, tickets for shows it sponsors will be refunded or honored in 2021.

Mid -April is only around 3 weeks away.

Can't see much changing by then.

Didn't Michigan just announce a 3 week shut down yesterday ?

I agree with refunding tickets for 2020.

I don't know if DCI has long term contracts with 

venues,so some shows could be "up in the air".

I would give people the option,if the event is in the same venue,

of keeping their seat locations.

Kind of like what they always used to do.

Edited by rpbobcat

22 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Would this be a cancelation of the 2020 tour or a postponement to 2021?  See what I did? :whistle:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Honestly - No. I have not read any such comments.   I have a 25 year old daughter putting her own personal health at risk for the sake of a few “older people”.  

May God (whichever one you like) bless her

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Hearing the big day is this week.  

Yup

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Amen Fred. It’s beyond time to stop the divisiveness.  Before someone pulls the trigger on their next post declaring, no matter how obliquely, someone (generally from the opposite political party) is doing it wrong, maybe go look in the mirror and ask yourself what YOU are going to do today to help make things better. Otherwise the snark posts are transparent, no matter how you try to cleverly mask it. Thank you. 

Sadly some of the “medical experts” need to chill also, bickering like politicians 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1