Mr. Acheson--it's time.

On 3/22/2020 at 4:56 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

My understanding is the Comfort and the west coast ship are in port. My guess (based on dealing with ship IT problems) is if they were docked then they were not fully supplied, especially with perishable items like blood. And no idea how medical equipment needs to be stowed if not to be used for a while. And the crew (including medical staff) would not be cooling their heels on ship if ship is docked. Any medical staff are probably working elsewhere at the present but doesn’t look like Norfolk area has been hit too bad. No idea how long it takes to get the supplies and load but I heard few weeks some places

The USNS Comfort is in Hampton Roads ,Va  ( USNS means naval vessel with civilian crew ) and is operated by MSC   Military Sealift Command ( USS signifies all navy crew )  Equipment aboard ship is intact ( sans calibration and operational testing) Basic stores , fuel and stability requirements can be done in short order.  Doctors , nurses, technicians on board is the main prerequisite...  It's an overnight run from Norfolk to the Ambrose pilot station (N.Y..)

Could be there in 9 days

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Easy.... no income and while yes expenses will be down, there’s debts to be paid. Fundraising will only go so far with the economy in a tailspin. Corps/ dci will have to refund ticket money. Some have people that gat year round salary that is contractually obligated to be paid. 

Perhaps creditors could agree also to push that Pause button. I think we will see some of that creative thinking take hold.  Also, just as one example, Does a financial institution want to make headlines by foreclosing on bunches of properties during this? I would think not. 

Edited by HockeyDad

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

No.

But just speaking hypothetically, what if some extent of economic/societal damage caused more deaths than the worst-case virus scenario?  Should no one even ask that question?

We should be willing to suffer only modest and acceptable civilian casualties in order to keep Applebee's open.

vlcsnap-2011-01-19-14h13m32s118.png?w=60

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

At this point I would be satisfied if DCI wanted to hold off until making a decision if DCI did the following: I would like them to announce a date when a final decision would be made, I would say no later than mid-April. I would also think that an announcement allowing those veterans who have already been issued contracts and have signed them and would age out this year permission to march next year would be helpful. I would also want corps to be required to honor contracts issued for 2020 in 2021.  Given the reality of student loans and what will probably be a tight job market, we may not be talking about huge numbers of would be age outs who will take advantage of one more year of eligibility.  For ticket holders, DCI should announce that if the season in cancelled, tickets for shows it sponsors will be refunded or honored in 2021.

How dare you propose a calm & logical approach to the 2020 DCI season?  I'm absolutely SHOCKED!!

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

But just speaking hypothetically, what if some extent of economic/societal damage caused more deaths than the worst-case virus scenario?  Should no one even ask that question?

2 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

We should be willing to suffer only modest and acceptable civilian casualties in order to keep Applebee's open.

So there will be competition for "most grotesque mischaracterization".  Your entry has been received.

49 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I’m still fuzzy as to why some of you think corps will fold due to cancelling the season. Maybe that’s a new thread but can you help me understand?  My mindset is that we are pushing a big Pause button on the activity and so absent any recurring payments a corps would need to make (for example - monthly mortgage or other payments), things don’t much change financially. But I haven’t given it much thought. 

I believe that it may be that some Corps use current & near-future revenue to pay past bills.  No new revenue, then bills don't get paid, with potential folding of the Corps.

33 minutes ago, bluehull said:

The USNS Comfort is in Hampton Roads ,Va  ( USNS means naval vessel with civilian crew ) and is operated by MSC   Military Sealift Command ( USS signifies all navy crew )  Equipment aboard ship is intact ( sans calibration and operational testing) Basic stores , fuel and stability requirements can be done in short order.  Doctors , nurses, technicians on board is the main prerequisite...  It's an overnight run from Norfolk to the Ambrose pilot station (N.Y..)

Could be there in 9 days

I live in Hampton Roads - Last Thursday I saw the USNS Comfort at Norfolk Naval Station parked near the aircraft carriers.  IDK if it is still there, but Naval medical people I know were being mobilized to man it (they have stopped the practice of sourcing all personnel from a single medical facility, rather getting smaller numbers from a variety of medical facilities as that is less disruptive on the system).

I suspect that for now the west coast hospital ship(s) will stay out there to provide support as needed in that part of the country.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

But what about the mine shaft gap?

• Haha 3