Mr. Acheson--it's time.

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

I wonder if anyone will post on DCP once the season is canceled. 

Those on DCP who receive the inside messages should stay silent.  Let's make DA post the news on DCP.

Edited by Ghost
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

And, let me be the one to say that Great! We're at this number a full six days SOONER than Italy got to this number.  That's GREAT news!  We'll be done with it that much sooner!

And, yes, I'm looking at the economics.  The CDC would just as soon drag this out as long as possible so they can get as many test cases as possible through the health system in order that they may get enough data and samples in order to fabricate an antivirus.

Economically, it's MUCH better to pull off the bandaid and NOT #flattenthecurve (bwahahahaha!).

"Pulling off the band-aid" means condemning many thousands to death. And I don't think that's hyperbole.

Our hospital system is not prepared for a situation in which we "pull off the band-aid".

In northern Italy they were overwhelmed and hospitals were turning people away who could have been saved if there was enough capacity. The death rate would be much lower there if they'd taken aggressive action early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You're hard to read. 

To be fair, it is in his name.

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, garfield said:

Yes, I fully agree.  I was talking about DCI refunding ticket purchases.

I'd think corps prorating by the day all of the costs so far (bus leases lost, food restocking charges, cancellation charges for travel and hotels, staff costs, camps so far...)  refund from the day DCI makes the announcement.

Then, make a drastic effort to retain those payments as charitable donations to the corps.  It's going to take phone calls from every board member, and it's going to take MM's appeals to their parents, and it's going to take recognition that, despite this being a "wealthy kid's hobby", many families won't be able to contribute because they need the money more than the corps does.

100% agreement

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"Pulling off the band-aid" means condemning many thousands to death. And I don't think that's hyperbole.

Our hospital system is not prepared for a situation in which we "pull off the band-aid".

In northern Italy they were overwhelmed and hospitals were turning people away who could have been saved if there was enough capacity. The death rate would be much lower there if they'd taken aggressive action early.

All this time I thought flatten the curve was not to overwhelm the system... ya know like NYC. But geez it’s so CDC can test.... guess we were corrected.  (Sarcasm)

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Crashing the entire economic system also results in many thousands of deaths as well.  Let's not pretend otherwise.  

IMO this is not a choice, but rather a balancing act.  The scales tipping too far either way can be equally as catastrophic.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

If one is to assume that the very best performers are involved! I’m not convinced that’s the case. 

Right. The difference between a weekender DCA all-ages or lower-ranked Open Class corps and BD and Crown has nothing to do with the average age, experience, and proficiency levels of the performers in the more competitive corps. 🤠

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

All this time I thought flatten the curve was not to overwhelm the system... ya know like NYC. But geez it’s so CDC can test.... guess we were corrected.  (Sarcasm)

Well, testing is going to become a big part of the solution eventually. People are right that it's going to be impossible to keep up social distancing protocols for the 17 months it make take until a vaccine is ready. But *right now*, we haven't tested even 10% of the people we should, so we have to go with these distancing measures. It's our best tool.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Or docked even.  😂 

Reminds me of the time MNF Howard Cosell told a story about a player who was a very good equestrian and Don Meredith replied that he also could ride horses.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, garfield said:

Whiskey.  You need to get all those people in your head smashingly drunk and then, one by one, roll them out to the street.

<sigh> you make me miss my Friday Wisconsin fish fries.