Mr. Acheson--it's time.

7 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

What do plane loads of Wuhan residents flying in have anything to do with it when the virus is already here? The fact that we have more space between us than in Italy just means the virus will spread slower. 

It means we don't have the month's concentration of spreading in our country like they did in Wuhan and Milan.  

Your presumption of 100% terminal infection is unknowable.

11 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

What do plane loads of Wuhan residents flying in have anything to do with it when the virus is already here? The fact that we have more space between us than in Italy just means the virus will spread slower. 

well they would seed more virus if in contagious stage... 

space is a key factor - Italy's issue I feel is probably the result of less space, poor government planning, open borders, a weak socialized health care system that reacts slowly, more tactile community and many other factors... Our controlling travel from China to here so fast very much helped us. 

• Like 2

Just now, George Dixon said:

well they would seed more virus if in contagious stage... 

space is a key factor - Italy's issue I feel is probably the result of less space, poor government planning, open borders, a weak socialized health care system that reacts slowly, more tactile community and many other factors... Our controlling travel from China to here so fast very much helped us. 

I have a good friend, Federico, 66 years old, hunkered down in Rome.  He agrees with you and, hence, so do I.

Travel from China was restricted at the end of January, thank God.  We didn't have the "seeds" in our garment district like they did in Milan.

These were temporary workers on "work vacation" in Milan.  Many of them traveled the country as tourists before they knew they were sick.  They were doing that a full month after they originally discovered the virus and suppressed the news.  We don't have that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, troopers1 said:

Here's an impact of different "X" scenarios on our ability to hospitalize and care for people.

https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/covid-hospitals

Interesting that their base assumption is that 20% of the population is affected.

I want to see what a 10% infection rate laid over an average 15-day treatment period.

We'll likely know this week if the reality is as bad as the expectations.

16 hours ago, garfield said:

OMGosh, think of all the economic, geopolitical, environmental, national security, and sociological changes that drum corps has survived!  "Nothing like this..."?  Please, calm down  You're overreacting. 

We've been through much worse than this as a country and as a hobby to think this is going to somehow drastically change the activity.

How does that song go?  "We will survive..."?   

One kid getting sick on tour can shut down a whole corps. Now imagine that corps is in close contact with another corps. Boom 2 down. Maybe a show site.

at least one corps says no summer. Several others pretty much right there with them. This is not going to be over for a while

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Algernon said:

It comes down to available housing, parents and money.

Can't see a school system allowing 200+ individuals to stay in their gym for 1-2 days this Summer, not to mention 3-4 weeks in the late Spring

Can't see parents allowing their children to get on a bus and ride around the country for weeks on end.

Can't see corps organizations having the funds to do go on the road without housing or members or.......bingo. Wouldn't be surprised for BD or SCV to make the call to do what's right for their corps and then DCI to follow

Winner

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

One kid getting sick on tour can shut down a whole corps. Now imagine that corps is in close contact with another corps. Boom 2 down. Maybe a show site.

at least one corps says no summer. Several others pretty much right there with them. This is to going to be over for a while

Yes, if contagious infected kids are put in...

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

And as more tests actually become available more confirmed cases will become known. I’m not happy stuck at home.... my ability to earn shut off by my state effective Friday. But this isn’t going away anytime soon and corps need to make expensive decisions in the next two weeks. 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, garfield said:

Would like to see testing procedures for that. Or are members, staff, bus drivers, etc are all going to be totally separated from the rest of the public. Kind of hard to buy supplies, get gas, sign paperwork, etc etc without some contact

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

And as more tests actually become available more confirmed cases will become known. I’m not happy stuck at home.... my ability to earn shut off by my state effective Friday. But this isn’t going away anytime soon and corps need to make expensive decisions in the next two weeks. 

Yep.  And what if confirmed cases peaks by April 15 and by May 1st everyone is back to work?