Everything Is Wrong And It’s _____ Fault!

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

But, we did take measures...

The original estimates presumed we wouldn't.

I didn’t bother to look at the numbers. I looked at “panicking officials into ill advised lockdowns” headline and my BS meter pegged....

Just now, garfield said:

But, we did take measures...

The original estimates presumed we wouldn't.

And the original estimates said that. For instance, the big Imperial College study out of the UK, which is probably the most cited analysis out there, and is the one that prompted British prime minister Boris Johnson to change his country's strategy, shows a wide potential range for that country, from as few as 5,600 deaths if the transmission rate is low and the most aggressive measures are taken, to as high as 550,000 deaths if the transmission rate is high and no measures are taken. Here's the key chart from that study:

EUDzNxUWsAQ8Eah?format=png&name=small

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And the original estimates said that. For instance, the big Imperial College study out of the UK, which is probably the most cited analysis out there, and is the one that prompted British prime minister Boris Johnson to change his country's strategy, shows a wide potential range for that country, from as few as 5,600 deaths if the transmission rate is low and the most aggressive measures are taken, to as high as 550,000 deaths if the transmission rate is high and no measures are taken. Here's the key chart from that study:

EUDzNxUWsAQ8Eah?format=png&name=small

Is this the revised data from two days ago?

The good doctor quoted that the Imperial College went from 550,000 to 20,000.  ("So sorry!")  Why did none of the news reflect the 20,000 revision before the Doc did?

And, you know that this discussion is much of why the other thread was shut down.  I don't think it's wise for us to hash this over again. 

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

Is this the revised data from two days ago?

The good doctor quoted that the Imperial College went from 550,000 to 20,000.  ("So sorry!")  Why did none of the news reflect the 20,000 revision before the Doc did?

And, you know that this discussion is much of why the other thread was shut down.  I don't think it's wise for us to hash this over again.

LOOK AT THE CHART.

That's the original chart, from the original study.

See the 550,000 down at the lower left? That was there the whole time.

See the 20,000 five levels up from there and two over? That was there the whole time too.

The good doctor didn't change anything.

- - - - - - - - - -

What changed is that Boris Johnson originally said the UK was just going to let the disease run its course.

Then he saw this study, and imposed social distancing requirements on that country.

That moved the likely number of deaths from 550,000 to 20,000.

Further actions could improve the situation even more.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Just now, skevinp said:

Me 2 days ago:  What a fun idea for a thread!  But there will be one poster who conveniently won’t get its playfully sarcastic and positive purpose, and will ruin it by proceeding accordingly.

Me today:  Yep.

i'm avoiding all medical conversations and just making fun of people if it helps you feel better

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Me 2 days ago:  What a fun idea for a thread!  But there will be one poster who conveniently won’t get its playfully sarcastic and positive purpose, and will ruin it by proceeding accordingly.

Me today:  Yep.

You shouldn't be so hard on garfield. I think he meant well.

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, skevinp said:

It does in a thread that was not supposed to be serious, negative, political, or laden with faux medical expertise.  

I hereby prescribe copious amounts of Jack Daniels straight no ice. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You shouldn't be so hard on garfield. I think he meant well.

famous last words when i try that line out on my wife for something i did around the house

• Haha 1