MM Refunds, and Ticket Buyers, too? Friends?

As much as I love Drum Corps, I think it would be huge mistake to assume that ticket money paid for canceled 2020 events would be automatically donated to any organization, corps or promoter.  The money should be refunded to the buyers and let them figure out what to do with it.  It should be a personal decision because some people need it for family expenses, to live on while they're out of their jobs, donating to a local food bank, or donating to local humanitarian charities.  Yeah, lots of us can afford to let the money go to member corps, but I think it a mistake to do that in light of the gravity of this human and economic disaster, everyone's situation is unique, and we're all at risk.

There's a side effect of this that should be considered.  The most-devoted drum corps fans, the ones that plan their entire summer around it, tend to buy their tickets early.  Allentown offers their 2-day ticket package only in October.  Done that myself, and I travel there from California.  So not refunding, keeping the money as a donation, is a decision that DCI would be making for its best customers.  The last-minute buyers who had not yet bought tickets would still be whole and able to spend their money on more essential things.

IMHO

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, paulie1340 said:

As much as I love Drum Corps, I think it would be huge mistake to assume that ticket money paid for canceled 2020 events would be automatically donated to any organization, corps or promoter.  The money should be refunded to the buyers and let them figure out what to do with it.  It should be a personal decision because some people need it for family expenses, to live on while they're out of their jobs, donating to a local food bank, or donating to local humanitarian charities.  Yeah, lots of us can afford to let the money go to member corps, but I think it a mistake to do that in light of the gravity of this human and economic disaster, everyone's situation is unique, and we're all at risk.

There's a side effect of this that should be considered.  The most-devoted drum corps fans, the ones that plan their entire summer around it, tend to buy their tickets early.  Allentown offers their 2-day ticket package only in October.  Done that myself, and I travel there from California.  So not refunding, keeping the money as a donation, is a decision that DCI would be making for its best customers.  The last-minute buyers who had not yet bought tickets would still be whole and able to spend their money on more essential things.

IMHO

my hunch is they may offer an option to roll it over towards 2021

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 12:45 PM, Yorkvillain said:

I may have Uber Eats deliver me a funnel cake. 

i'll probably stop at the Brass Rail

Boston’s show at Boston College is cancelled along with other 80th anniversary events taking place that weekend.  Would have loved seeing a show at BC.  They offered 3 options for prepurchased tix for the show:

Full refund or rollover to 2021 (not sure you’d get the same lineup and be at BC) or donate the cost to the corps.  I’ll probably do a full refund, give $ back to seatmates and donate back what was my personal ticket cost.  My thinking is that one of the corps biggest fundraisers, Concert In The Park, May be lost to them this year and that has brought in $600k - $800k in past years.  So they’ll need the $.  Especially with their capital fundraising to obtain new  transport equipment.  Which now extends another year so that helps.

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Boston’s show at Boston College is cancelled along with other 80th anniversary events taking place that weekend.  Would have loved seeing a show at BC.  They offered 3 options for prepurchased tix for the show:

Full refund or rollover to 2021 (not sure you’d get the same lineup and be at BC) or donate the cost to the corps.  I’ll probably do a full refund, give $ back to seatmates and donate back what was my personal ticket cost.  My thinking is that one of the corps biggest fundraisers, Concert In The Park, May be lost to them this year and that has brought in $600k - $800k in past years.  So they’ll need the $.  Especially with their capital fundraising to obtain new  transport equipment.  Which now extends another year so that helps.

Yeah, I had bought 4 seats at a bit over $50 each for the BC show and I just msg'd the admins to donate it toward the corps.  I suspect they are already in very solid shape but it just felt right.  Right now, my biggest concern isn't the money..it's whether the activity in general can resume next summer right where it left off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

my hunch is they may offer an option to roll it over towards 2021

Based on the Ticketmaster canceled vs postponed events on my account, I'm thinking they'll refund Detroit (canceled) & Mid-West (not marked yet) but give you a "roll-over" for Indianapolis (postponed).  I'm thinking this is probably due to DCI having an extended contract with the Lucas Oil for finals week but the other dates are contracted year to year?  I'll take the roll over for Finals week.  Haven't heard any details for the DCI Ticket Office smaller events.  😷  

Edited by keystone3ply
correction

4 hours ago, craiga said:

Yeah, I had bought 4 seats at a bit over $50 each for the BC show and I just msg'd the admins to donate it toward the corps.  I suspect they are already in very solid shape but it just felt right.  Right now, my biggest concern isn't the money..it's whether the activity in general can resume next summer right where it left off.

For me it’s 6 VIP packages for nearly $600.  So some cost is being returned to others who were coming with me. My piece will be donated back.  At least half,  unless the others wish to donate back to the corps.  They’ll need it with the CIP gone. 

On 3/26/2020 at 12:22 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i may stil go to allentown and tailgate if we're allowed

Bethlehem's Music fest starts that weekend.

Assuming its not canceled,my wife and i considering tailgating,then heading over there.

We tailgate on the street,so it shouldn't be an issue (we hope).

30 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

I know a couple corps are hoping that there might be a chance to bring the members together and do a little playing in the park.  I hope it works out.

COULD be a wonderful fundraising opportunity, and Public Relations booster!

Big video screen, non-stop drum corps sights and sounds. Especially, with a Single Event, Liquor Control Board waiver. City of Allentown approval, of course!