MM Refunds, and Ticket Buyers, too? Friends?

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hmmm no AL or VFW Nationals, no World or US Open, Dream, etc... If no DCI someone would have to come up with a new big show to get Corps to travel a far way to come together.

Oh, those contests were the big ones, but between them, most corps competed in their region because there were so many units.  When corps started folding in the late 60's and once DCI started, the corps became larger and started travelling for weeks at a time.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Oh, those contests were the big ones, but between them, most corps competed in their region because there were so many units.  When corps started folding in the late 60's and once DCI started, the corps became larger and started travelling for weeks at a time.

Who knows! Regional could become the new norm. Been told that drum corps was already evolving prior to DCI. Believe DCI had good intentions until it became a big money grab, and the self proclaimed pageantry experts got involved. 

Edited by Poppycock

12 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Glad you’re VERY happy! Unless you’re unemployed at the moment and one of the loyal fans who could use the money for their family, please try to not make it all about you. Thanks again for your wonderful understanding. 

i'm doing lots to help out friends and family in this time. i just don't feel the need to speak about it here.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rmm155 said:

That's how I read it ... not able to have the same seats, but just "credit" for the new ticket purchase (of which I"m presuming there will be a cost increase, so we'll pay a differential.)

i expect a lot of things in life will get more expensive when this breaks

6 hours ago, paulie1340 said:

Seriously?  The thing to do here Jeff, is to try to force yourself to think of other, less-fortunate people.

see above post. i'm doing lots of things to help out others and don't feel i need to pat myself on the back here talking about it. in fact when my company gives us some love for all of this i plan on hitting up some corps websites

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

More regional and the CA corps headed Eastward for some competition.  First time I saw SCV was at the 71 Danny Thomas Invitational in MA.  As for your question, as you may have read, there were hundreds of corps.  The season started a month or so earlier than DCI.  With just about every mm from within 50 miles of a corps/drill team/bands HQ, the final contests were into September if not October.  One 1960 era bread truck carried all the instruments and uniforms.  Most top corps had around 80 mm.

the season started earlier, and had no 4-6 weeks of spring training. that right there is a HUGE expense

IMO DCI became a caricature of what it once was. So if it’s blown up and started anew, that’s a great thing as far as I’m concerned. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

IMO DCI became a caricature of what it once was. So if it’s blown up and started anew, that’s a great thing as far as I’m concerned. 

here's the thing....whatever it becomes, you still have the 4 biggest costs to deal with....food, fuel, insurance and housing. eliminating amps, electronics, props, using the same old same old uniforms is not going to save the money everyone thinks

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I sense a attitudinal disposition ranging from mild dislike to abhorrence of my friends. 

Not really, but some feel I attitunize at times.  May the “self proclaimed pageantry experts” not ruin your enjoyment of DCI.

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Not really, but some feel I attitunize at times.  May the “self proclaimed pageantry experts” not ruin your enjoyment of DCI.

Know a few pageantry experts who are no longer making a living from the pageantry arts. Most are only in it for the money.