Member corps vote to cancel 2020 DCI Tour

26 minutes ago, PepsiTwist said:

I was just having a chat with a friend who works with WGI and does design work for indoor groups, and he brought up an interesting question. Why not use this as an opportunity to permanently extend the age-out eligibility to 22 (or 23 during the summer competition)? 

This will obviously not go over well with some people on here, but under the circumstances, it might make the most sense in order to avoid any confusion if/when it's reverted in 2022. Thoughts? 

I think it's time. The old age limit ( or current in place forever rule ) catered to a member BITD who by 21 was in a career and often married. Today's young person for the most part has little interest in settling down with a marriage and kids. Some , who chose as in the past  to put drum corps behind them can do so.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

I think it's time. The old age limit ( or current in place forever rule ) catered to a member BITD who by 21 was in a career and often married. Today's young person for the most part has little interest in settling down with a marriage and kids. Some , who chose as in the past chose to put drum corps behind them can do so.

There is a thing called DCA. You can march till the cows come home. No need to raise the age limit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

There is a thing called DCA. You can march till the cows come home. No need to raise the age limit.

well thats your opinion and I'm sure many . DCA is pretty much on a last leg ( sadly ) and also very regional. 

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Kudos to rpbobcat, who had the foresight to raise this question here on DCP one month ago today -- although I imagine he wishes he was wrong to think this could happen.

9 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I think it's time. The old age limit ( or current in place forever rule ) catered to a member BITD who by 21 was in a career and often married. Today's young person for the most part has little interest in settling down with a marriage and kids. Some , who chose as in the past chose to put drum corps behind them can do so.

"...settling down and marriage and kids..." can be delayed.

Becoming an adult can't.

DCI drum corps is supposed to be for "yoots".  Twenty-two year olds are adults.

It's truly is binary: One is either an adult (over 21) or one is a youth (under 21). 

1 minute ago, kkrepps said:

Not there!  :laugh:

I had many PT samwiches in Indiana, and I thought no one could make a tasteless one until I had one at LOS. 

I don't know, maybe I got lucky but it was quite a bit better than the hot dogs. I'l generally grab dinner at Shapiro's anyway. 

• Like 1

Just now, garfield said:

"...settling down and marriage and kids..." can be delayed.

Becoming an adult can't.

DCI drum corps is supposed to be for "yoots".  Twenty-two year olds are adults.

It's truly is binary: One is either an adult (over 21) or one is a youth (under 21). 

Sorry we dont get to tell them when they should be adult. I taught alot in DCA and believe me there are plenty of NON ADULT members there and I don't mean by age.

Also in this country 18 is a legal adult, why not lower the age, might stop alot of other issues

• Like 2