Member corps vote to cancel 2020 DCI Tour

Just now, BDCorno said:

I don't know, maybe I got lucky but it was quite a bit better than the hot dogs. I'l generally grab dinner at Shapiro's anyway. 

...or maybe it was the beer talking. 🍻

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Sorry we dont get to tell them when they should be adult. I taught alot in DCA and believe me there are plenty of NON ADULT members there and I don't mean by age.

Also in this country 18 is a legal adult, why not lower the age, might stop alot of other issues

I fully agree but, for certain, don't extend the age.

We already have adults "sleeping with" kids.

Edited by garfield
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Sorry we dont get to tell them when they should be adult.  

Actually, that is quite literally what we do ALL THE TIME. Want to drink as a 17 year old? No, because you're not an adult. Vote as a 14 year old? No, because you're not an adult.

A 23 year old who'd want to spend the summer doing something that is better suited to high school and college aged kids needs to kick themselves in the schlatz and get on with their life.

• Thanks 4

Just now, garfield said:

I fully agree but, for certain, don't extend the age.

We already have adults "sleeping with" kids.

Can do like WGI World class different from Open or A class in WGI. World class no age limit now  No age I think would't work in DCI, although the way DC is going one day it might be

11 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Actually, that is quite literally what we do ALL THE TIME. Want to drink as a 17 year old? No, because you're not an adult. Vote as a 14 year old? No, because you're not an adult.

A 23 year old who'd want to spend the summer doing something that is better suited to high school and college aged kids needs to kick themselves in the schlatz and get on with their life.

So lower it to 18, a legal adult, might solve some of todays issues

I did read recently, I think it was in the digest of education stats, that12 or 13 million students fall under 25  and over 25, years old 7 or 8 million, pretty close and I'm sure quite different from BITD, just sayin. That might be an old stat too. Just happen to see it.

Edited by GUARDLING

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

If they had any sense they'd do it for free, to showcase what they can do before 2021.  WWE Network is doing something similar to that right now. 

Mike

Depends on licensing to re-broadcast. It’s why they don’t let you watch after the fact like the old fan network did 

41 minutes ago, garfield said:

Exactly.

Extending membership skews auditions for years in the future.

Better that some of the returns decide to get on with life and make spots for the newer and younger.

"Rook-outs" might have a case but the contrary, in my opinion, is a lesson to not rely on a single year if one wants to do drum corps.

It depends on how many age outs take advantage of marching in 2021. Many will have jobs, student loans will be due (assuming they’re have graduated college). I think the number could be small. 

• Like 1

Blue Devils post to the Drum Corps community

Dear Friends of the Blue Devils,

We believe in supporting the health and well-being of all participants in BD Performing Arts programs, including our members, staff, volunteers, and families.

We have been closely following and adhering to the guidance of the CDC and WHO, and we are committed to providing the safest possible environment, now and through these challenging times. Global health and economic conditions are currently affecting our ability to operate BDPA programs amidst these challenging circumstances.

After much deliberation with the Drum Corps International Voting Membership, the decision has been made to cancel the 2020 DCI summer tour. We at BD Performing Arts agree and support this decision. As a result, we are suspending specific BDPA programs as we work through a more favorable time to resume. This includes the Blue Devils, BDB, BDC, BDI, and Special Needs Guard.

We firmly believe that these conditions will not persist indefinitely. We will continue to work on all options available to us during this time. We intend to use the remainder of the 2020 calendar year to prepare for the future. Our hearts go out to the thousands of performers in the pageantry activity that have been affected by the coronavirus crisis.

To be able to resume our programs at the appropriate time, we must maintain a minimum level of funding. At this time, we ask for your help to keep BDPA in operation.

More than ever, We Need You! As you know, BDPA is a nonprofit organization. As such, the ability to execute our mission successfully requires ongoing philanthropic support from individuals like you along with funding from our BD Bingo program, which is currently closed due to the coronavirus. To ensure that we can resume our programs at the appropriate time, we ask you to consider making an investment in BDPA while we face this rapidly changing public health crisis. No amount is too small. We welcome and we thank you for your donation of any amount.

To donate, please visit bluedevils.org/donate or email donations@bluedevils.org.

We are aware that this information will create questions. We intend to reach out to all members and constituents within the next 7-10 days. At this time, we request your patience as we contact everyone. We have also developed an FAQ page.

We have never given up in any situation. We won’t back down. Ever. Our organization has always risen to every challenge we have faced and we are determined to meet this one confidently and unafraid. We understand that this crisis is affecting everyone. Please be safe and stay healthy.

Thank you...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

So lower it to 18, a legal adult, might solve some of todays issues

Except there are other areas in which 21 is considered the threshold (drinking, purchasing weapons in many states, etc). Keeping it there for drum corps aligns with other cultural norms. It's a little odd already for 16 and 17 year olds to be living in close proximity to 21 year olds all summer; adding 23 or 24 year olds would just be plain creepy . 

• Thanks 1