Member corps vote to cancel 2020 DCI Tour

3 minutes ago, DCIat14 said:

Petitions are a way for the current generation to be heard.  They are passionate & tired of people putting them down for their efforts to work hard.  Drum Corps Members of today are incredibly hard working.  What is asked of them both on and off the field is intense & requires skills that far exceed just an ability to play & move.  These petitions were met with such blatant disrespect in some groups online that they were removed.  Yet this is merely an intent by members to be heart, peacefully, & shows how much this activity means to them.  Please stop putting them down for their dedication to the activity.

...and yes, many have already paid their dues in full, purchased airfare, & contributed many hours to these groups.  Have you?

You are incorrect.  The age-out has been extended for those who would have aged out in 2020.  However, this petition covers ALL currently contracted members as 2021 will see the largest age-out group and all currently contracted members will be impacted & have lost a year. 

Who, in God's name especially here (!) is putting down anyone?  BTW, do you speak for "they"?

I don't respect the ACTION, that doesn't me I'm "putting them down".  Jeesh, the youngin's sure are a sensitive lot!  LIFE ISN'T FAIR - GET USED TO IT.

That is, after all, one of the things drum corps teaches MMs.  The activity is doing a great service by allowing age-outs another year; they are the ONLY group who can make any claim.  And let's not forget those rookies who will now have to compete with 23 year old music majors for a spot.  Is that fair to them?

Next will be a petition to award everyone medals for 2020.

This is a time to show how greedy and self-centered one can NOT be, and to think of others first.  You know, kind of what drum corps teaches.

REALLY disappointed that anyone in this activity has to be reminded of that.

Nah, I'm not really all that involved...

:bleah:

19 minutes ago, garfield said:

Who, in God's name especially here (!) is putting down anyone?  BTW, do you speak for "they"?

I don't respect the ACTION, that doesn't me I'm "putting them down".  Jeesh, the youngin's sure are a sensitive lot!  LIFE ISN'T FAIR - GET USED TO IT.

That is, after all, one of the things drum corps teaches MMs.  The activity is doing a great service by allowing age-outs another year; they are the ONLY group who can make any claim.  And let's not forget those rookies who will now have to compete with 23 year old music majors for a spot.  Is that fair to them?

Next will be a petition to award everyone medals for 2020.

This is a time to show how greedy and self-centered one can NOT be, and to think of others first.  You know, kind of what drum corps teaches.

REALLY disappointed that anyone in this activity has to be reminded of that.

Nah, I'm not really all that involved...

:bleah:

You forgot to add - “now get off my lawn!!”

Ok just kidding. I can’t get past how you do the accounting on this.  Johnny is a 17 year old member of the Madison Scouts - oh wait let’s go with Jenny!  Ok Jenny is a 17 year old contracted member of Madison Scouts. Ok so Jenny gets another year, so five years from now someone’s going to keep track that Jenny gets another year. Although quite frankly, any college graduate should probably be moving on, but that’s just my opinion. So - what a mess. How do you keep track?  Not necessary. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IndigoDemonFan said:

Some folks petitioning DCI to extend age out year to all contracted this year.

On Change.org you can find it by searching DCI or link below.

http://chng.it/tw2YN8xVYD

https://www.change.org/p/drum-corps-international-allow-contracted-all-2020-dci-members-an-extra-year

no thanks

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

You forgot to add - “now get off my lawn!!”

Ok just kidding. I can’t get past how you do the accounting on this.  Johnny is a 17 year old member of the Madison Scouts - oh wait let’s go with Jenny!  Ok Jenny is a 17 year old contracted member of Madison Scouts. Ok so Jenny gets another year, so five years from now someone’s going to keep track that Jenny gets another year. Although quite frankly, any college graduate should probably be moving on, but that’s just my opinion. So - what a mess. How do you keep track?  Not necessary. 

And then everybody who gets cut in 2021, 2022, 2023... until all the Johnnys and Jennys age out... should get another year.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, DCIat14 said:

Petitions are a way for the current generation to be heard.  They are passionate & tired of people putting them down for their efforts to work hard.  Drum Corps Members of today are incredibly hard working.  What is asked of them both on and off the field is intense & requires skills that far exceed just an ability to play & move.  These petitions were met with such blatant disrespect in some groups online that they were removed.  Yet this is merely an intent by members to be heart, peacefully, & shows how much this activity means to them.  Please stop putting them down for their dedication to the activity.

So you think this is the only generation that has worked hard and made use of petitions? Seriously, petitions have been around for centuries. People running for public office have had to have petitions signed. Referendum questions on a ballot require petitions. Petitions are not new tools of the young. They are as old as democracy.

Keep a few important things in mind. Most of drum corps is dedicated to marching members. All of us who love drum corps are broken hearted about the young people losing the opportunity to march. However, many of the people who make drum corps a reality for young people have lost their jobs. Michael Boo is a beloved and dedicated member of the drum corps community. If you are able, read Michael Boo’s Facebook page and you’ll see another side of the reality of the loss of a drum corps season, his livelihood.

Let’s let the dust settle first. As a nation we are all worked up, and staying in place has given us time to fill. The most important priority for drum corps now is survival.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2