Member corps vote to cancel 2020 DCI Tour

19 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

You're talking about the same 18 to 20-somethings that don't show up to vote, right? 😎

A petition demanding that The Man do something that he already did, proactively, is the height of stupid.

In fairness, his issue is that the petition is to let EVERYONE contracted for '20 have an additional year of eligibility, not just the ageouts.

It's still a dumb petition and a dumber idea, but we should lambaste it for the actual reason the petitioners presented.

43 minutes ago, garfield said:

In fairness, his issue is that the petition is to let EVERYONE contracted for '20 have an additional year of eligibility, not just the ageouts.

My understanding is that the voting membership agreed to take that question up down the line, after they've had time to consider the options. 

In any case, this type of "what about ME???!!!" bull___ at the point in time when the leaders of the entire activity needs to figure out how to survive the next 12 months is the epitome of self-centeredness. They'll get to the 18 year olds, in good time.  

I would argue that if those who are currently contracted and have more than one year left really care about the fate of the activity, that they start figuring out how to raise about $12,000,000 this summer to sustain it, because that's on the very low end of what it's going to take to keep everyone going until next spring.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

My understanding is that the voting membership agreed to take that question up down the line, after they've had time to consider the options. 

In any case, this type of "what about ME???!!!" bull___ at the point in time when the leaders of the entire activity needs to figure out how to survive the next 12 months is the epitome of self-centeredness. They'll get to the 18 year olds, in good time.  

I would argue that if those who are currently contracted and have more than one year left really care about the fate of the activity, that they start figuring out how to raise about $12,000,000 this summer to sustain it, because that's on the very low end of what it's going to take to keep everyone going until next spring.

You know I agree with you, but your numbers are wrong.  The activity doesn't need anywhere near that amount to sustain it until October's "new" season.

12 minutes ago, garfield said:

You know I agree with you, but your numbers are wrong.  The activity doesn't need anywhere near that amount to sustain it until October's "new" season.

Except that audition revenues are going to be depressed.  Significantly. With many corps keeping a spot every kid contracted for next year, there will be a finite number of openings, so I wouldn't be surprised to see audition numbers halved or worse from previous years, and audition camp revenues are how most corps get through the first few months of the new season.

Figure that there are 30 to 35 existing organizations, who'll need anywhere from $50k to $300k each to get through the end of this calendar year and make sure they can cover their rent/utilities/skeleton staff, etc.  Behemoths like SCV and BD are going to be missing potentially hundreds of thousands of Bingo income over the next 9 months, and if those two are going to be facing problems, everyone else is going to be facing Biblical famines.

As for DCI, it's quite possible that without a half million to million in loans/grants/gifts in the next three months, they might have to fold up this summer, and that's after letting a majority of the staff go this week. 

The point isn't to survive enough to walk into the new season as an emaciated child with whooping cough; it's to be strong enough to enter the new season fully prepared for battle.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

I feel like we just jumped the shark and crashed into the Hindenburg. 

oh no, lots of time yet

17 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Except that audition revenues are going to be depressed.  Significantly. With many corps keeping a spot every kid contracted for next year, there will be a finite number of openings, so I wouldn't be surprised to see audition numbers halved or worse from previous years, and audition camp revenues are how most corps get through the first few months of the new season.

Figure that there are 30 to 35 existing organizations, who'll need anywhere from $50k to $300k each to get through the end of this calendar year and make sure they can cover their rent/utilities/skeleton staff, etc.  Behemoths like SCV and BD are going to be missing potentially hundreds of thousands of Bingo income over the next 9 months, and if those two are going to be facing problems, everyone else is going to be facing Biblical famines.

As for DCI, it's quite possible that without a half million to million in loans/grants/gifts in the next three months, they might have to fold up this summer, and that's after letting a majority of the staff go this week. 

The point isn't to survive enough to walk into the new season as an emaciated child with whooping cough; it's to be strong enough to enter the new season fully prepared for battle.

first you assume every kid will return or can return. life gets in the way

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

first you assume every kid will return or can return. life gets in the way

If 20% of those eligible notify corps that they won't be coming back, that still leaves  more than half of the available spots taken, vs 100% of all spots being up for competition in a regular year.

Those who view themselves as being weak as best will opt out, unless the corps can come up with a radically different approach to what the fall camps are supposed to be about.

Edited by Slingerland

5 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

If 20% of those eligible notify corps that they won't be coming back, that still leaves  more than half of the available spots taken, vs 100% of all spots being up for competition in a regular year.

Those who view themselves as being weak as best will opt out, unless the corps can come up with a radically different approach to what the fall camps are supposed to be about.

corps now have many months to start looking at very creative ways to rase funds to make things up. also they have eliminated an entire summer's worth of expenses.

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

corps now have many months to start looking at very creative ways to rase funds to make things up. also they have eliminated an entire summer's worth of expenses.

..and an entire summer's worth of revenues. Shows, parades, hosted contests, merchandise sales; everything.  Not being on tour saves some expenses, but at the cost of all guaranteed revenues.

$12 million to keep it going and put everyone PLUS DCI in a position to be financially sound going into the new year. 

Edited by Slingerland