Member corps vote to cancel 2020 DCI Tour

3 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

..and an entire summer's worth of revenues. Shows, parades, hosted contests, merchandise sales; everything.  Not being on tour saves some expenses, but at the cost of all guaranteed revenues.

$12 million to keep it going and put everyone PLUS DCI in a position to be financially sound going into the new year. 

The number you're using combines expenses of the tour with payout proceeds to the corps, neither of which are going to happen.

DCI has already furloughed its staff.  If the corps want any hope of having a tour in which to perform next year, they need to keep DCI alive but it's not going to take $12million to do it.

3 hours ago, garfield said:

In fairness, his issue is that the petition is to let EVERYONE contracted for '20 have an additional year of eligibility, not just the ageouts.

It's still a dumb petition and a dumber idea, but we should lambaste it for the actual reason the petitioners presented.

I fear an issue may be 'What do we do about age-out members who were contracted for 2020, but the Corps they were contracted to doesn't survive until 2021'.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, garfield said:

The number you're using combines expenses of the tour with payout proceeds to the corps, neither of which are going to happen.

DCI has already furloughed its staff.  If the corps want any hope of having a tour in which to perform next year, they need to keep DCI alive but it's not going to take $12million to do it.

Sorry, I may not have been clear enough. DCI,or the corps, entering the new season with next to nothing in the bank won't work. Raising enough money so that there's a healthy operating fund to re-build all brands involved will involve extra expenses over past models. 

I also suspect that the 2021 housing costs all summer long are going to shoot up over what they have been in the past. DCI and the corps have already had to start using hotel rooms for some shows in some locations, and if that continues to grow, as a factor, it's not unreasonable to think that every corps will see a significant cost increase for the new year that will have to be supported elsewhere than tour fees, since most corps will be hard pressed to raise their fees for next year for kids who are already contracted.

Edited by Slingerland

So 2020 ageouts get to finish in 2021. An “extra” year to make up for this years list year.   Very fair.  But a potential MM for 2021 may not get a spot because all spots were filled for 2020? 

So the potential MM MAY possibly miss out one year.  But only if a spot doesn’t open up with his/her dream corps. There are other corps to join if it means that much.  And there may be openings in the upper tier corps too.  
The way it’s looking is that the carry over 2020 ageout and the 2021 ageouts go out together.  That makes a lot of openings for 2022. That may hurt corps with typically high ageouts.  Most ageout numbers are in the 30-40 range yearly.   That may look like 60-80 ageouts in 2021. 
This will present a challenge for some corps to have a turnover that high.  I don’t know the answer, and I may be way off in how this might work,  but this years unprecedented situation, may result in an unprecedented corps membership issue next year.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IndigoDemonFan said:

Some folks petitioning DCI to extend age out year to all contracted this year.

On Change.org you can find it by searching DCI or link below.

http://chng.it/tw2YN8xVYD

https://www.change.org/p/drum-corps-international-allow-contracted-all-2020-dci-members-an-extra-year

Hmmmm, let me think about it...NO!   

Give the age-outs this year another year in DCI assuming there's one to come back to.  

• Like 2

Besides the difficulty in tracking a MM who was contracted for 2020 and lost the year, why are some of you against everyone getting a bonus year? I see “it’s life deal with it”. Why shouldn’t the age outs of 2020 “deal with it”? Seriously though. Thousands of MM are losing a year. It sucks for some that it was their last, yet they’re the ones who get the bonus year. 
I’m this year’s seniors in WGI or even graduation aren’t getting another run. It is what it is. So why not allow all a bonus year when one “class” gets it?

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

We went for a drive today to Geneva, Illinois.  A charming little town, full of locally owned businesses.  Restaurants, shops....ordinarily, the streets would have been packed and no street parking to be found. Ghost town today.  I am very worried for these businesses. 
Support your local businesses when this is over. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Slingerland said:

..and an entire summer's worth of revenues. Shows, parades, hosted contests, merchandise sales; everything.  Not being on tour saves some expenses, but at the cost of all guaranteed revenues.

$12 million to keep it going and put everyone PLUS DCI in a position to be financially sound going into the new year. 

tour and show fees/dues hardly pay all of the bills.