Member corps vote to cancel 2020 DCI Tour

12 hours ago, Hafe said:

You're absolutely correct.  DCI needs to stay alive to have a tour.  Not sure if everyone recognizes that.

i think everyone realizes that.

12 hours ago, Hafe said:

You're absolutely correct.  DCI needs to stay alive to have a tour.  Not sure if everyone recognizes that.

Just thinking what would happen if another organization would take over. Schools are going to be less likely to allow their facilities to be used for housing and shows because of the virus and it’s after effects. Then this new (IOW unknown) organization comes up wanting to use the facilities. Going to tougher with an unknown group...

1 hour ago, TwoValves said:

There could many other ways to have a season and tour without what we currently know as DCI.  Individual corps could take on more production of shows.  Smaller regional bodies could re-emerge.  Possibly even an entirely new entity could be born to do what DCI once did. 

The member corps basically govern themselves.  DCI is a  show producer/promoter.  Others could fill the void.

You could end up dusting off the old G7 threads.

There could many other ways to have a season and tour without what we currently know as DCI.  Individual corps could take on more production of shows.  Smaller regional bodies could re-emerge.  Possibly even an entirely new entity could be born to do what DCI once did. 

The member corps basically govern themselves.  DCI is a  show producer/promoter.  Others could fill the void.

Read:  System Blue?

• Like 1

I'm not sure the Corps could or would want to take that on.   The resources in terms of $$ and/or manpower to manage an entire season would certainly strain their world even more that it already is.

And yes, the activity is already set up that the member Corps govern themselves and DCI is a show producer/promoter.

21 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Overdue 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TwoValves said:

I actually wondered whether DCI would cancel the tour and thought we might see some corps field shows and have some sort of tour. I also thought it might involve Open Class rather than World Class. The more I wondered about this possibility, the more problems I saw. First is timing. You can’t organize a tour in so short a period of time. A second problem was having enough shows to make any kind of tour worthwhile. Corps rely on revenues from shows. Third, with the exception of some OC corps, drum corps is not regional and if you were to see some sort of reincarnation of DCE or the like, you would need regional corps. 

I think we will find when the dust settles that the DCI tour could not have happened not so much due to the Covid-19 threat extending longer than expected, a threat of a resurgence in the fall, or fears of housing not being available. The time that has been lost thus far and would have been lost in the months ahead are the real culprits or at least major culprits. Even if we have a best case scenario with things settling down by the end of April, too much time would have been lost. I hate the decision and wanted DCI to wait until mid-April to make a decision, but when it was announced I knew they made the best decision possible even though it was difficult.

Could others coordinate a tour? Maybe, but for all it’s faults, the one thing DCI does well is produce shows. Very few of the snafus that happen at shows are the fault of DCI. DCI is organized, creates an atmosphere, and things go relatively well. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lance said:

Ethnocentrism should not be the result of this.  That's really gross.  

Spend money where you want.  You earned it. 

Well said.