Member corps vote to cancel 2020 DCI Tour

Is it possible for DCI to "increase" the number of members on the Field for the 2021 season?   ... Ballpark figure ... increase the # of field members to fill one (1) another bus?  ... Just "food for thought" ... This would allow for those members who have been granted an additional year + those "new" members who have become of age to march their first (1st) year ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southshore said:

This would allow for those members who have been granted an additional year + those "new" members who have become of age to march their first (1st) year ...

This! And this is why I'm becoming more active on these boards as of late. 

This topic is now at the forefront of my mind going into 2021 due to the fact that my youngest son, and the only other musician in the family, who is 16 (will be 17 in summer '21) planned to march with a world class corps next year, and both of us are still hopeful it can happen.

As we have been following these events closely, we are now met with an odd predicament: Will there be enough spots open in 2021 for my son to audition for a corps if most members who would have marched this year are automatically guaranteed a spot for 2021? 

I completely understand the difficult situation we are in. But my son is a strong trumpet player, has dreams of marching drum corps and following in my footsteps. What if he is good enough to get a spot, but is turned away because the roster is already "filled" based on "last year's auditions"?  Are corps doing this guaranteed rollover now going to say to anyone who had hoped to march in 2021, "We only have "X" number of spots available due to the 2020 carryover" ?  Or "I'm sorry but we won't have any trumpet auditions this year because we already have all 25 from 2020 returning".   

Are there any other parents of hopeful soon-to-be members who share concerns like these? I know that 'it is what it is', but it's going to be difficult to explain this to my son if, in fact, he is unable to even audition for the corps he wants to march with if there aren't any spots available. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lance said:

lol, i was just thinking about if school gets canceled for the rest of the year up where i am.

i'm pretty sure our state's dept of ed will come up with a way to make sure on-track seniors can still graduate this year. 

but i was just thinking, what if we said "hey, you can just come back next year!" to seniors and "hey, you lucky 9-11 graders, we're adding a year of high school eligibility for all of you, congrats!"

the looks on their faces would be priceless.

When I first joined this zoo, I remember that my very first post was replying with a compliment to something funny you said.

I'm glad to know that you still have your sardonic wit all these years later.

41 minutes ago, PepsiTwist said:

This topic is now at the forefront of my mind going into 2021 due to the fact that my youngest son, and the only other musician in the family, who is 16 (will be 17 in summer '21) planned to march with a world class corps next year, and both of us are still hopeful it can happen.

As we have been following these events closely, we are now met with an odd predicament: Will there be enough spots open in 2021 for my son to audition for a corps if most members who would have marched this year are automatically guaranteed a spot for 2021? 

I completely understand the difficult situation we are in. But my son is a strong trumpet player, has dreams of marching drum corps and following in my footsteps. What if he is good enough to get a spot, but is turned away because the roster is already "filled" based on "last year's auditions"?  Are corps doing this guaranteed rollover now going to say to anyone who had hoped to march in 2021, "We only have "X" number of spots available due to the 2020 carryover" ?  Or "I'm sorry but we won't have any trumpet auditions this year because we already have all 25 from 2020 returning".   

Are there any other parents of hopeful soon-to-be members who share concerns like these? I know that 'it is what it is', but it's going to be difficult to explain this to my son if, in fact, he is unable to even audition for the corps he wants to march with if there aren't any spots available. 

I don't think you're going to have to worry about this too much.  There aren't that many ageouts in a given year, relative to the total number of members out there. Maybe it would be a concern if it has to be a returning championship contender, but a 17 year old rookie isn't going to make that level of corps very often.

There will be plenty of spots in world class corps for qualified applicants. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PepsiTwist said:

Worry isn't going to help. Practice will. World Class corps are looking for talent. If he has it, he'll find a spot. If not the first year he tries out, he eventually will. 17 is young for a World Class corps. 

Don't take this the wrong way, but what do you need to explain? This is a good learning experience for him. Are you familiar with the Love and Logic approach to parenting? 

Edited by madisonsmiley
  • Like 2

I cancelled my Flo Marching before it renewed. I'm going to take that money, add it to whatever I was going to spend on tickets, food, merchandise and hotels and make a donation to one of the corps.  There are going to be several that are going to have struggle to stay alive with no tour money coming in.

11 minutes ago, troopers1 said:

There aren't that many ageouts in a given year, relative to the total number of members out there. Maybe it would be a concern if it has to be a returning championship contender, but a 17 year old rookie isn't going to make that level of corps very often.

What I read was anyone who had a contract for 2020 would be guaranteed a spot in 2021. Not just age-outs. 

16 minutes ago, madisonsmiley said:

Worry isn't going to help. Practice will. World Class corps are looking for talent. If he has it, he'll find a spot. If not the first year he tries out, he eventually will. 17 is young for a World Class corps. 

Don't take this the wrong way, but what do you need to explain? This is a good learning experience for him. Are you familiar with the Love and Logic approach to parenting? 

I could have used my words much more wisely. Forgive my careless rambling.  

17 is young but he will have graduated high school by the time the summer 2021 tour starts. I don't believe that's too young for WC. 

Edited by PepsiTwist
typos

20 minutes ago, PepsiTwist said:

What I read was anyone who had a contract for 2020 would be guaranteed a spot in 2021. Not just age-outs. 

This is true in the corps my son has a contract with To an extent. They have the option to participate in a summer experience and keep their 2020 contract into 2021 or they can choose to audition again in the fall. 
This definitely cuts down available spots in 2021. 

1 hour ago, PepsiTwist said:

Hmmm... very interesting.

It appears a simple solution to this predicament is to increase the marching member limit to 200!

Why let a good crisis go to waste!? 

(Your illustration is exactly the problem I see and have commented on in disagreeing with this idea.)