Member corps vote to cancel 2020 DCI Tour

2 hours ago, Algernon said:

I do not believe DCA corps spend the Summer living together in gyms and buses. Am guessing most parents wouldn't thrilled with under 18 children and those who are out of

college co-habitating

Something I also posted to a thread in the DCA forum about events in Washington state that may bear on DCA's decision:

"60 people showed up for a choir practice earlier this month. 45 got sick. 1 has died.

A remarkable window into how contagious coronavirus can be, even when it appears nobody is symptomatic."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/coronavirus-usa-03-26#a-choir-group-had-60-people-show-up-for-practice-now-45-are-sick

No cohabitation there either.

1 hour ago, southshore said:

Is it possible for DCI to "increase" the number of members on the Field for the 2021 season?   ... Ballpark figure ... increase the # of field members to fill one (1) another bus?  ... Just "food for thought" ... This would allow for those members who have been granted an additional year + those "new" members who have become of age to march their first (1st) year ...

Just a few months ago we were discussing the DCI proposal to increase the size of each corps by a busload or so.

Little did we know that DCI's mad scientists had secretly cooked up a virus and were setting it loose in China to force the issue in 2021.

(That's a joke. Nobody take it seriously, please.)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, southshore said:

Is it possible for DCI to "increase" the number of members on the Field for the 2021 season?   ... Ballpark figure ... increase the # of field members to fill one (1) another bus?  ... Just "food for thought" ... This would allow for those members who have been granted an additional year + those "new" members who have become of age to march their first (1st) year ...

Adding one more bus and 50 more performers would result in a net loss of $50-100,000, even after taking into account those members' tour fees.

So no. 😛

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, southshore said:

Short answer - no.

Long answer - that would make it more costly, harder to get housing, etc., when just regenerating the status quo will be a heavy lift.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Just a few months ago we were discussing the DCI proposal to increase the size of each corps by a busload or so.

Little did we know that DCI's mad scientists had secretly cooked up a virus and were setting it loose in China to force the issue in 2021.

(That's a joke. Nobody take it seriously, please.)

Welcome back, Johnny One Note. 

Keep in mind - there were a number of corps that have undertaken large capital projects.... think new food trucks. 

Something like cancelling the season could absolutley decimate these organizations from a financing standpoint - in addition to losing a number of their fundraisers (DCI income, bingo, etc).

Between the past two years, new food trucks were (being) purchased by:

Boston Crusaders

Santa Clara Vanguard

Blue Devils

Blue Stars

There may be more that I am not aware of off-hand at the moment....

Please keep things like this in mind when you are debating where to direct any potential donations, as well as the groups that we know have financial struggles.

And most importantly, do not forget your open class corps.... most of these groups are still funded like local community groups, and losing any income at all could be the end for many of them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

Probably depends on the corps and the show. My thinking is that so many corps enjoy keeping things secret, and a cancelled season could lead to lose lips about what a corps planned to do, new concept will probably be developed by most corps. 

I wonder if music licensing rights already obtained and / or paid for for the 2020 season could be used in 2021 instead?  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wonder if music licensing rights already obtained and / or paid for for the 2020 season could be used in 2021 instead?  

I’m not a lawyer, but my guess would be that performance rights would probably be fine. It seems as if it’s the broadcasting rights that either change or are problematic. It could also depend on the music. I know in the 90’s Broadway had a revival of “Guys and Dolls.” Prior to the revival, performance rights for high school drama programs and community theaters were reasonable and lower than standards such as “Sound of Music” and “West Side Story.” After the revival, rights became pricier and difficult to attain. 

12 hours ago, ECJ94 said:

Keep in mind - there were a number of corps that have undertaken large capital projects.... think new food trucks. 

Something like cancelling the season could absolutley decimate these organizations from a financing standpoint - in addition to losing a number of their fundraisers (DCI income, bingo, etc). 

Boston Crusaders 

With the season over, Boston supporters/alumni should know shortly if the 80th anniversary Concert in The Park, Bell and Hand Social, and the 80th Gala Fundraiser are still on.  That would pay for a few kitchen trucks and other needs this year.  Maybe pay down some debt.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1