Member corps vote to cancel 2020 DCI Tour

Just a thought, rather than trying to increase the number of kids that can march in a corps and prop up World Class Corps, what we should do is push new members to Open Class corps and prop up their numbers in 2021. World Class units could adopt an Open Class sister corps and create an education partnership that allows the corps to spend time together and give the Open Class members a taste of World Class life. They could share some curriculum and Ike to two opportunities to perform standstills together. Just an idea...

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Cainan said:

I disagree.. I marched a corps that folded but still had eligibility left. I think the sensible thing to do is extend for those contracted ageouts for whom this was it.

CJ this is a completely different scenario. None of the units will be performing and the ageists will be allowed to march an additional year, plus I would assume that a good portion of the corps will be carrying over their shows from 2020. I think extending those contracts through 2021 makes the most sense. You’re probably going to have kids that drop, and that’s fine. But I would argue that if you were under contract with a specific corps in 2020, your contract should be extended. . 

• Like 3

The Silent Summer

Make donations. Not just to your favorites. We all need to stick together as one community during this time. Everyone stay safe, act wisely, and keep everything in perspective.

Edited by JustEnjoyIt
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Hmmm... very interesting.

It appears a simple solution to this predicament is to increase the marching member limit to 200!

Why let a good crisis go to waste!? 

(Your illustration is exactly the problem I see and have commented on in disagreeing with this idea.)

not a rules proposal year

4 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Adding one more bus and 50 more performers would result in a net loss of $50-100,000, even after taking into account those members' tour fees.

So no. 😛

this is drum corps...there is no place for logical discussions of financial awareness

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ECJ94 said:

Keep in mind - there were a number of corps that have undertaken large capital projects.... think new food trucks. 

Something like cancelling the season could absolutley decimate these organizations from a financing standpoint - in addition to losing a number of their fundraisers (DCI income, bingo, etc).

Between the past two years, new food trucks were (being) purchased by:

Boston Crusaders

Santa Clara Vanguard

Blue Devils

Blue Stars

There may be more that I am not aware of off-hand at the moment....

Please keep things like this in mind when you are debating where to direct any potential donations, as well as the groups that we know have financial struggles.

And most importantly, do not forget your open class corps.... most of these groups are still funded like local community groups, and losing any income at all could be the end for many of them.

it's possible at this time in some areas, those food trucks could be put to work and gain some revenue

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wonder if music licensing rights already obtained and / or paid for for the 2020 season could be used in 2021 instead?  

i know in wgi, those companies that specifically design for indoor groups have discussed this idea and some have announced plans to do so. but few corps go this route, so who knows.

if Tresona is involved, i doubt it

Edited by Jeff Ream

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Welcome back, Johnny One Note. 

Blue Devils 1989 and Bluecoats 1989.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ECJ94 said:

Keep in mind - there were a number of corps that have undertaken large capital projects.... think new food trucks. 

Something like cancelling the season could absolutley decimate these organizations from a financing standpoint - in addition to losing a number of their fundraisers (DCI income, bingo, etc).

Between the past two years, new food trucks were (being) purchased by:

Boston Crusaders

Santa Clara Vanguard

Blue Devils

Blue Stars

There may be more that I am not aware of off-hand at the moment....

Please keep things like this in mind when you are debating where to direct any potential donations, as well as the groups that we know have financial struggles.

And most importantly, do not forget your open class corps.... most of these groups are still funded like local community groups, and losing any income at all could be the end for many of them.

According to their website Blue Stars reached their food truck fundraising goal on 1/1/2020.