njthundrrd

Member corps vote to cancel 2020 DCI Tour

Recommended Posts

Lost in the "extended eligibility" discussion...what about kids just coming of age/experience/proficiency, that would have been in the mix for a spot in 2021? Now, the natural flow of available spots has been disrupted by the change in policy. Gotta feel good for those age-outs that get a second chance, but it's going to limit/destroy a year of eligibility for others. I really doubt that all potential age-outs will still march next year, as life goes on and forward, but I feel bad for the kids unintentionally caught up in the situation. Maybe they could bump, or ignore membership limits for one year, allowing an equal amount of spots to the "grandfathered" members? Just a thought.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly.

Extending membership skews auditions for years in the future.

Better that some of the returns decide to get on with life and make spots for the newer and younger.

"Rook-outs" might have a case but the contrary, in my opinion, is a lesson to not rely on a single year if one wants to do drum corps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, patrick643 said:

The news crushed me. I've been a fan since 2010 and I planned on flying to Indiana since 2012. This would've been my first time ever seeing a corps perform live... I wonder how they're gonna handle the tickets that were already bought.

Don't give up! Seeing corps live is worth it even if there's a year's delay.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

what about kids just coming of age/experience/proficiency, that would have been in the mix for a spot in 2021?

I was just having a chat with a friend who works with WGI and does design work for indoor groups, and he brought up an interesting question. Why not use this as an opportunity to permanently extend the age-out eligibility to 22 (or 23 during the summer competition)? 

This will obviously not go over well with some people on here, but under the circumstances, it might make the most sense in order to avoid any confusion if/when it's reverted in 2022. Thoughts? 

Edited by PepsiTwist
edited for grammar/clarification
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, chadwick said:

Curious if most corps perform their 2020 production in 2021 or which corps go back to the drawing board. 

The Blue Stars will at least need to change their show title. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man...I was really looking forward to a hot dog at Lucas Oil Stadium.  :sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PepsiTwist said:

I was just having a chat with a friend who works with WGI and does design work for indoor groups, and he brought up an interesting question. Why not use this as an opportunity to permanently extend the age-out eligibility to 22 (or 23 during the summer competition)? 

This will obviously not go over well with some people on here, but under the circumstances, it might make the most sense in order to avoid any confusion if/when it's reverted in 2022. Thoughts? 

They can solve the problem by simply not allowing age-outs an extended year.  Making it permanent is not a good idea.

 

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, garfield said:

Exactly.

Extending membership skews auditions for years in the future.

Better that some of the returns decide to get on with life and make spots for the newer and younger.

"Rook-outs" might have a case but the contrary, in my opinion, is a lesson to not rely on a single year if one wants to do drum corps.

 

It's a tough spot. Extending membership has its own challenges. Groups like BD, who routinely have ageout numbers in 20-30-40 range, are looking at another bus, and additional infrastructure/feeding/show related issues. I don't know if there is a perfect answer, though I'd be shocked if 100% of eligible would take advantage. Life goes on, as do every person's situation...especially when you're young. As harsh as it sounds, just let it be and move on. That's just the way life works at times, and there is no way to shield ourselves from the inevitable challenges of life. This is a perfect example of that. It's how you respond to the challenge and move on that is important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

Oh man...I was really looking forward to a hot dog at Lucas Oil Stadium.  :sad:

Dude, the pork tenderloin sandwich rocks.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PepsiTwist said:

I was just having a chat with a friend who works with WGI and does design work for indoor groups, and he brought up an interesting question. Why not use this as an opportunity to permanently extend the age-out eligibility to 22 (or 23 during the summer competition)? 

This will obviously not go over well with some people on here, but under the circumstances, it might make the most sense in order to avoid any confusion if/when it's reverted in 2022. Thoughts? 

22 or 23? Hell, make it 30, since we're being told that today's 20-somethings are just overgrown teenagers incapable of handling adult lives on their own. 😎

A kid who was contracted and would have aged out this summer has a reason to ask for extension, under the circumstances. Everyone else, not so much, though the wording makes it sound like everyone currently contracted will get a bonus year (which makes no sense).  

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.