Member corps vote to cancel 2020 DCI Tour

34 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I wonder if DCI will allow us to roll Indy tickets over to 2021?  I’ll do that.  

a follow up email came out stating they would be rolling out "options" for ticket buyers soon, but no details given

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest News From Vanguard Music and Performing Arts (VMAPA)

https://www.scvanguard.org/covid-19-update-vanguard-cancels-summer-tour/

COVID-19 Update: Vanguard Cancels Summer Tour

• Posted by:Michael Still
  • On March-26-2020

Vanguard Music and Performing Arts (VMAPA), parent organization of the world champion Vanguard and Vanguard Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps, based in Santa Clara, California, today announced that neither the Vanguard nor the Vanguard Cadets will travel or perform across the country this summer. The decision corresponds with the cancellation of the 2020 Drum Corps International summer tour due to health and safety concerns associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.

“No one wanted to cancel the summer tour, but after many discussions with our Vanguard and Vanguard Cadets leadership, medical teams, program directors and our board of directors trying to create a possible path forward it became apparent that this was the right action to take,” said Brett Bernardini, Executive Director, VMAPA.

Vanguard, located in one of the hardest-hit counties in California in terms of COVID-19 cases, has been under a shelter-in-place order since March 16, 2020. The disruption has cancelled rehearsals and led to the closing of Vanguard’s bingo hall, a primary funding source for the 300-member organization that draws young performers from around the world to participate in a highly competitive summer tour.

“For a couple of weeks there had been discussions between various corps about what other groups were thinking and whether or not they felt that the summer tour was an option,” said Vanguard Director, Ivan De La Cruz. “Those discussions grew into larger Drum Corps International (DCI) membership discussions, and despite many options on the table – including a shortened DCI summer tour – there was no way to advance a summer tour with any assurance that we could keep our members, staff and volunteers safe and healthy.”

“DCI helped us all out by deciding to announce there would be no summer tour,” said Vanguard Cadets Director, Rafael Bretado. “They saw the same facts we saw. In the end, it was the only option that guaranteed the health and well-being of everyone involved.”

Bernardini noted that this decision will have a tremendous impact on members, staff and volunteers. His leadership team will directly contact members regarding next steps and to share as much information as possible about future plans. Meanwhile, the organization is asking its membership to adhere to CDC recommendations to limit travel, enforce social distancing and self-quarantine until directed otherwise.

Despite the fact that the 2020 tour is cancelled, planning for 2021 moves forward. “We know that these measures are disappointing, but better days are ahead,” said VMAPA Board Chair, Laura Norris. “The Vanguard organization is in uncharted territory trying to navigate this period of uncertainty, and we prioritize the health and safety of our members, staff and volunteers. At the same time, our eyes are focused on the future, and once it is safe to proceed we will move forward with confidence and excitement in planning for 2021 and beyond.”

“As Vanguard Music and Performing Arts looks towards the future, we continue to explore new opportunities that we can offer our community and region,” said Bernardini. “All options are on the table from online learning opportunities, how we can support area school and nonprofit arts programs, even how we can utilize our mobile food kitchen. We believe in the South Bay – especially our home, Santa Clara – and continue to look for opportunities in which we can support residents, businesses, schools and organizations in this difficult time and beyond.”

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

But we didn't always have "MeToo".

If someone is at the MeToo stage then it’s too late...

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, garfield said:

"...settling down and marriage and kids..." can be delayed.

Becoming an adult can't.

DCI drum corps is supposed to be for "yoots".  Twenty-two year olds are adults.

It's truly is binary: One is either an adult (over 21) or one is a youth (under 21). 

i'm almost 51 and still not an adult. ask my wife

• Haha 5

18 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Yet DCA will take " Kids ? We always had that, maybe more in the past BITD the top corps took all ages 21 and under, most WC corps today the average age is not the 16 year old. 

Lol joined Sr corps at 16 as they needed the bodies. Corps members ages went from high school to probably 40s. My parents thoughts were “he’s getting with people from all types of backgrounds, good experience for the real world”

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

We said the same in the guard world at 1 time. Never would happen

That may be true but it comes up in the drumline advisory meetings every year for at least 15 years and quickly gets dealt with. The only way they will consider it is if participation drops to dangerous levels and keeps trending downward. This has not been an issue in the drumline activity.

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm almost 51 and still not an adult. ask my wife

I’ll be 69 in a couple weeks. I goof around more than I ever did.

By the way,  as things usually shake out in drum corps, I believe we will soon read something similar about the DCA season.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Savage. 🔥 

your savage is my brutal truth

• Haha 1

Just now, gbass598 said:

That may be true but it comes up in the drumline advisory meetings every year for at least 15 years and quickly gets dealt with. The only way they will consider it is if participation drops to dangerous levels and keeps trending downward. This has not been an issue in the drumline activity.

Same  with Guard MANY MANY years it was talked about. It may not change  or may at 1 point. I do teach there also( percussion ) and even had a gold medal..lol I think the activity may see many changes in the next few years for a number of reasons. Who knows how it will all come out. So many things float around within the activity. 

All this now will Im very sure impact things although many will want to go back to same ole same ole and just move on.,