Member corps vote to cancel 2020 DCI Tour

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol joined Sr corps at 16 as they needed the bodies. Corps members ages went from high school to probably 40s. My parents thoughts were “he’s getting with people from all types of backgrounds, good experience for the real world”

and little did they know....

• Haha 2

Jeff Ream was correct as posted on Monday in this thread:

Mr. Acheson--it's time.

Jeff Ream replied to Phantom56's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

could be this week.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I’ll be 69 in a couple weeks. I goof around more than I ever did.

By the way,  as things usually shake out in drum corps, I believe we will soon read something similar about the DCA season.  

may even have their PR persons name on it. that'd be a first

• Haha 1

Just now, Rich Cline said:

Jeff Ream was correct as posted on Monday in this thread:

Mr. Acheson--it's time.

Jeff Ream replied to Phantom56's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

could be this week.

whoever scores highest wins

• Like 1

Just now, garfield said:

Exactly.

Extending membership skews auditions for years in the future.

Better that some of the returns decide to get on with life and make spots for the newer and younger.

"Rook-outs" might have a case but the contrary, in my opinion, is a lesson to not rely on a single year if one wants to do drum corps.

Addressing the age issue is very real, and am sure will be ongoing. Personally I am worried about corps maintaining infrastructure during such a long period of inactivity, since it will be fifteen months before the next show. The big guys will still be around, however how many others will chuck it.

Finances, staff that find all year jobs, support staff that lose interest, and for members that opt to take a different direction ( including parents). Hopefully I am wrong, but referencing many other activities including sports, there can be a huge fade factor when effort and time are are not resulting in a product. Logistics, another issue !  Still available training sites ?   Changes in contacts that facilitated travel and housing, and lastly a lingering stigma about having large groups traveling around the country and meeting in small to medium communities.    Again, hope I am wrong, but just a gut feeling

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

A 23 year old who'd want to spend the summer doing something that is better suited to high school and college aged kids needs to kick themselves in the schlatz and get on with their life.

Isn't this already happening in 2021 for anyone who would have aged out in 2020? If all of this year's bonus age-outs (22yo) march next year (23yo) then are you implying they should forego their 'bonus' bonus year an move on with their life instead?

15 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

Where will DCI get revenue to survive this season?

Telethons, road blocks, & a bake sale?  There's suppose to be grant money available thru the stimulus package for non-profits.  Hell, The Kennedy Center received $25 million without having to apply.  Hopefully some of those grants would be utilized for DCI organizations.    

Edited by keystone3ply
correction

Just now, keystone3ply said:

Telethons, road blocks, & a bake sale?  There's suppose to be grant money available thru the stimulus package for non-profits.  Hell, The Kennedy Center received $25 million without having to apply.  Hopefully some of those grants would be utilized for DCI organizations.    

Speaking specifically of DCI Inc., not the corps.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 27/soa said:

I think EVERYONE currently under contract should get a 1-year extension, as my son is not an age-out. 

I totally agree and support this idea. The season is so short and so much work goes into it.

• Like 2