YOUR CORPS NEEDS YOU - NOW

It would be nice if the corps work together somehow on fundraising so that if one has plenty, they help others stay afloat.  Say, behind the scenes they get together and each openly and transparently shows what they need to stay afloat, starting primarily with their flagship programs.  Then, ask people to donate to their favorite corps but once that corps primary need is met, donations will funnel to other corps. In my opinion it is better for all corps to stay afloat than one to get 3x donations it really needs while another dies off.  Just thinking out loud.

1 hour ago, year1buick said:

Unfortunately, I’m in as much of bind because of this as the corps right now. But I’ll help when I can.

For those of you who don't have money, drum corps also need your TIME and effort.  Offer to stuff envelopes, make calls, deliver packets, or wash cars.

This activity grew up on member support and local support; much of that local support is gone now but that doesn't mean it can't be cultivated again. 

There's much to be done - everyone can add a piece of effort that adds to the magic that saves the activity.

Thank you all for that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, garfield said:

For those of you who don't have money, drum corps also need your TIME and effort.  Offer to stuff envelopes, make calls, deliver packets, or wash cars.

This activity grew up on member support and local support; much of that local support is gone now but that doesn't mean it can't be cultivated again. 

There's much to be done - everyone can add a piece of effort that adds to the magic that saves the activity.

Thank you all for that.

That’s actually a great point. I’d mentioned to one of the board members at Regiment (who I marched with) a while back to pass the word along that I could help with a that kind of stuff but it probably fell by the wayside. I’ll have to touch base with them again.

A friendly reminder as well to those donating a few bucks over the next year that lower-ranking & recently-founded corps will be just as in need of our support. By all accounts, groups like The Academy, Troopers, Seattle Cascades, & Colts work in a bit of a different arena each season in that they emphasize turning out excellent members of society over the placements of the season. These organizations are just as integral to our activity's health as the headliners that draw the giant crowds. Not to mention the help terrific younger groups Genesis, Music City, Guardians, & Legends will need who don't necessarily have the deep alumni support, simply because they haven't existed long enough to have churned a generation or two of alum through their program. 2019 saw groups like Pacific Crest and Jersey Surf on top of their games like never before and having thriving seasons, and that's what will keep our activity alive and well in addition to the big names returning to success in 2021.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

By all accounts, groups like The Academy, Troopers, Seattle Cascades, & Colts work in a bit of a different arena each season in that they emphasize turning out excellent members of society over the placements of the season.

You may take some heat Jake for that sentence. All corps, not just those four you mentioned, strive to turn out “excellent members of society “.  It’s just that the corps usually finishing higher have better talent, staff, deeper pockets, shows, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

You may take some heat Jake for that sentence. All corps, not just those four you mentioned, strive to turn out “excellent members of society “.  It’s just that the corps usually finishing higher have better talent, staff, deeper pockets, shows, etc.

Oh no that's not what I meant at all! Of course all groups do; having marched drum corps in any capacity is to have laid the groundwork for competent adulthood. I just mean that those four corps I mentioned specifically place a higher emphasis on that throughout the season than competition results; listening to any interview with an Academy staff member for example reveals that their operation and ground game is different than those striving to achieve a consistent Finalist or Top X status. Neither approach to a season is superior to the other, I'm just reiterating that these more experience-driven corps exist and are just as vital to the activity as the highly competitive corps. 

• Thanks 1

THIS IS HUGE!!!

Even "non-itemizers" can now get a charitable deduction of up to $300 for gifts to non-profits.

Initial analysis of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) (S. 748) reveals:

"Charitable Giving Incentive: Includes a new above-the-line deduction (universal or non-itemizer deduction that applies to all taxpayers) for total charitable contributions of up to $300. The incentive applies to contributions made in 2020 and would be claimed on tax forms next year. Section 2204. The bill also lifts the existing cap on annual contributions for those who itemize, raising it from 60 percent of adjusted gross income to 100 percent. For corporations, the bill raises the annual limit from 10 percent to 25 percent. Food donations from corporations would be available to 25 percent, up from the current 15 percent cap. Section 2205."

(emphasis mine)

PLEASE!  NOW is the time to come to the aid of the drum corps activity!  Make a charitable contribution now of whatever you can afford!

Please see your tax advisor!  An "above the line" deduction means that your contribution is a dollar-for-dollar REDUCTION in your taxable income for 2020!  For a donor in the 10% income tax bracket, the effect is that you receive a $30 credit (10% of $300) on your 2020 Federal income tax, making the actual cost to the donor only $270 while your favorite corps gets $300!.  For a taxpayer in the 30% tax bracket the cost of a $300 gift is only $210!  The IRS is "chipping in" the difference to encourage your gift!  Please see your tax advisor and then make a $300 (or more!) today to your favorite drum corps!

(NOTE:  As of this writing, the US House of Representatives is schedule to vote on the CARES act as part of the Senate's overall stimulus package.  #PassTheDamnBill!)

And, larger donors also get an incentive in that they can now write off up to 100% of their income through charitable deductions to non-profit orgs.  Come on, Big Donors!  Step up and #WriteTheCheck!

Edited by garfield
  • Thanks 4