YOUR CORPS NEEDS YOU - NOW

On 3/26/2020 at 1:56 PM, CrownBariDad said:

We usually do our Corps donations on "Giving Tuesday".  We might need to do this a lot earlier this year.  I'm praying our budget allows this.

The Wife's comment:  So sad.  Since 2008, our whole Summer revolved around Drum Corps, a lot of it volunteering on tour.  I don't know what we'll do this year.

Enjoy your queen!!!!

I am single and live pretty much paycheck to paycheck, but since the $$ for finals tickets was already paid for, i will pledge to donate that money when it comes, in addition to the donations I already made last week.

Edit: since we can’t get refunds, i rolled my tix to next year and then made my donations to the corps i support. 

Edited by DWW11
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, wigwam said:

I made the biggest donation I've ever made.  I don't really have the money but I put it on my credit card.  I will pay it off later. 

Hope you have a small interest rate.

I'll probably have some mad people here BUT.......I have always (most of the time) sided with DCI corps but I am going to say something that may not be happy to most. If DCI wants the support of fans and alumni who can donate money, they (corps) need to listen to what the fans want! They need to NOT go against all those fans from the decades past. I don't think we/they want the tic system in judging and a Color Pre, but music that they can hum as they leave the stadiums. Just throwing it out there!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I'll probably have some mad people here BUT.......I have always (most of the time) sided with DCI corps but I am going to say something that may not be happy to most. If DCI wants the support of fans and alumni who can donate money, they (corps) need to listen to what the fans want! They need to NOT go against all those fans from the decades past. I don't think we/they want the tic system in judging and a Color Pre, but music that they can hum as they leave the stadiums. Just throwing it out there!

There's a good chance K that that discussion train left the station years ago.

I have and will continue to support the corps.  However, I do have some suggestions to both the corps and also to DCI to increase donations.  In reality, as you have already stated, corps were operating on razor thin margins (and were more often in the red than not) even before this pandemic.  Many, including myself, saw the current model as being "unsustainable".  With most WC budgets exceeding 2 million dollars per year, and members paying $4000+ in fees to march, it has become an incredibly expensive venture.  Many kids are already "priced out" of the activity, and that will increase with a struggling economy.  What we haven't seen from most is an effort to curb expenditures.    Example....you don't beg for money and say that the situation is "dire", and then go spend $60,000 on props for the show....this actually happened last year.  if the corps and DCI announced pro-active plans to really cut things back, I think that they would receive more empathy from their supporters.  On the other hand, if they use the "everything will be fine" mode, and put the blinders on and try to move forward as usual, I think several corps will go bankrupt and become defunct, and DCI as the governing body may not survive. Talk is cheap, though.   Here are my suggestions....

(1) target budgets for 2021 should be in the range of $600,000 to $1,000,000.......ie cut in half or more

(2) go with a shorter season.....July 1 to August 7.  If the corps did 6 shows in 7 days (if they wish), they could still see 33 contests

(3) the first half of the season would be regional,  and the corps would not all be in the same weekend until Allentown.  Even then, there may be corps who do not go

head to head until championships......this would actually ADD to the competitive suspense.....

(4) Instead of the lengthy "move in" camps that all of the corps are doing, camps would be weekends only through June.  More local/regional membership would be encouraged, and

out of region kids could be paired up with those who are in driving distance.  All kids who wished to could work summer weekday jobs right up until tour.   Talented high school kids

would not have to try to get permission to leave school early, and thus more of them would have the possibility of participation.

(5) Major cuts in instructional staff.  My suggestion...... one brass arranger, one percussion arranger, one visual designer,  3 brass instructors, 2 percussion instructors, 2 visual instructors,

one guard instructor........11 total                            The days of 20-40 staff people can not be sustained     DCI staff will also need cut backs.

(6) If fuel prices remain down, that would be a good thing, and perhaps corps can negotiate a "fuel deal" or consortium if they guarantee purchase and/or pre-pay

(7) Decrease fees to $3000                Decrease the price for non-premium seats (30-40 yard line) and discount seats (0-30 yard line)

(8) no new horns, no new percussion/electronics equipment, return to uniforms that can be worn multiple years instead of yearly "theme costumes",

no new guard equipment, maintain everything that you DO have and repair as needed.....   no props  (as they do not improve marching/playing/guard work).....

I know that some of the above suggestions might not sit well with some, but I do know that costs could be cut, there would still be great shows, and some fiscal burden

would be lifted off of the shoulders of the corps, their members, and fans.  The earlier pro-active measures are taken and advertised, the greater the chance of increased

empathy and support.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Nice post, Bob984 !

Agree, operating budgets have grown much too fast.  I think this emerging problem began when . . . . 

the “Creative Group” was given full control of the “Checkbook.”

6 hours ago, Bob984 said:

(4) Instead of the lengthy "move in" camps that all of the corps are doing, camps would be weekends only through June.  More local/regional membership would be encouraged, and    out of region kids could be paired up with those who are in driving distance.  All kids who wished to could work summer weekday jobs right up until tour.   Talented high school kids       would not have to try to get permission to leave school early, and thus more of them would have the possibility of participation.  

Interesting post Bob.  I quoted #4 because there will still be mm who have to fly to weekend camps.  Living in UT, I currently can only play on a travel softball team that borders UT.  Don't see DCI doing something similar.  If much of your proposal was adopted, DCI/DCP might have another G7-9 to chew on.