What of the Kids Who Would Have Aged out in 2020?

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I do think it is important that age outs have one more year in 2021. There should be  stipulations.  An age out either has to have had a contract prior to today, or marched in 2019. 

In reality, many age outs may not be able to march next year, especially if they have graduated from college. Hopefully they will be in the working world and chances are their employers will not give them a 3-4 month leave. There is also a negative possibility. If the economy does not rebound fast enough, they may not be employed but would not be able to afford it.

This first point is a tough sell for me, because I can think of a few reasons why that would be a bit unfair.  One has already been mentioned, about guards not giving out contracts until after WGI season. But what about members who were cut through audition processes but weren't able to make it to another corps' camps to try and secure spots? That's a very real possibility, especially with a number of corps canceling March/April camps, which is when final cuts at other corps would have otherwise attended another corps' camp to audition.  There are plenty of situations during the winter/fall where prospective members have yet to find a home, but are certain of their desire to secure a spot and march.  Just my opinion, but I think raising it by a year for one year only with no stipulations is the right move.

Your second point is a very valid one and unfortunate for members who would otherwise have marched their regular age-out, but a reality nonetheless.  Plenty of this year's age-outs will have secured jobs and need to move on with life, preventing them from marching their replacement age-out. Those are the folks I really feel for in this situation - completely lacking the ability for closure.

• Like 1