Carolina Crown 2021

Looking at Crown's instagram, they are wearing Beneath the Surface uniforms, and the guard have custom uniforms for this year. So no new uniforms for the brass or percussion (but probably a money saver for this year).

40 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Looking at Crown's instagram, they are wearing Beneath the Surface uniforms, and the guard have custom uniforms for this year. So no new uniforms for the brass or percussion (but probably a money saver for this year).

Smart. Not mad at all. 

23 hours ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Yes, money saver was a big part of it.  As I understand it, they’re in a pretty solid financial position but trying to be smart to keep it that way.  I thought they were going to mix and match parts of another uniform with it but looks like they are going straight with 2019 sans the clear jacket thing.  There’s one more little twist that you’ll have to wait for also :-).

Edited by DrummerParent
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

1) Crown often gets veterans from other corps so not necessarily young

2) Harloff has skills

Yeah I know most top corps very rarely (if ever) accept kids with no prior marching experience. But we also have to remember that Crown loses vets to other corps too. 

Agreed. Crown is very blessed to have Harloff and I hope he stays for many many more years. 

• Like 1

Best wishes to Crown for this season, unconventional or not.  It is important to get everyone back together regardless of the manner in which they did it. I have no doubt they'll pick up where they left off for 2022.

• Thanks 1

I am at ensemble practice tonight so will finally see for myself what I am told is an amazing show.  I'll let everyone know my thoughts without giving away any spoilers.

• Like 2

Speaking of spoilers, looks like Crown just leaked one on their Facebook page…

85-D96-F3-D-7-D1-F-430-E-914-B-B7-DF01-E

Edited by crownisking
  • Like 3

Just returned home from ensemble practice. 

My thoughts are below:

• Brass - This years book is very meaty and reminiscent of old Crown brass books. There are a number of legacy Crown licks in the writing which add some rich and deep crown flavor to the sound.  The brass is executing at an outstanding level, as one would expect and sound more like a mid season drum corps instead of a just leaving spring training corps. Grade: A+
  • Percussion - This is the largest percussion line Crown has ever fielded and overall they are playing exceptionally well together.  I noticed some minor phasing issues here and there but nothing of grave significance.   I am very happy to see how Crown Percussion is building towards the future.  It is clear to me that they will continue to do well, as the instructional staff's teaching and commitment to excellence is paying off.  Grade: A-
  • Color Guard - Magnificent improvement as compared to last year.  The flag and choreography work is pretty darn clean and impactful.  Weapon work is pretty good also, but not as tight as the flag work.  Its refreshing and amazing to see how clearly focused the guard design writing was in this show.  In my opinion, the approach to the guard writing is adding to the show much better than over the last couple of years.  It is apparent that the new color guard team is going to be a force to be reckoned with and will raise Crown guards standing.  Grade: A-
  • Visual Design-  The visual approach to this years show is very refreshing and connects a lot more clarity to the show theme.  More specifically the visual design is not as drill heavy as in the past, but the visual choreography is well put together.  I will not give anything away here, but I love the new direction and hope it continues and builds going forward.  They have the best prop usage of any Crown show to date.  The visual design felt fresh but still Crown and that in my opinion is exactly what they needed.  Visual team deserves a big pat on the back, as they made some great adjustments to their approach.  Grade: A+
  • Parting Thoughts - This show is very impactful and I think the ballad is my favorite of the decade.  I am impressed with how well this show came together in a short time period, and I predict Crown will gain a lot of new fans tomorrow as some folks will look at them different, but yet see so much of what makes Crown unique.  I for one loved the show and it gives you so much of the past but looks to the future of the organization.  I do not think this show is what they would put together for a normal competitive show, but that wasn't the point and I for one, love it.  Crown will be the first drum corps the world see's in 2021 and they will be nothing but amazed by what they see and hear. The show is outstanding and the staff and members deserve a pat on the back.  The raised the bar high for what other corps will have to bring to the table.

I cannot wait to hear everyone's thoughts tomorrow after the show has aired.  If your going to the show tomorrow DM me as I would like to meet up and say hello.

That's all for now.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2