Carolina Crown 2021

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

I didn’t see or hear anything groundbreakingly original! Thanks for sharing. 

Nor did we with your usual hateful banter towards Crown. A sense of normalcy maybe, but nothing new.

• Thanks 2

Going back and watching the video, I can honestly say that Toccata Andromeda was the best part of the show for me. Hearing it live was like listening to crown from the early-mid 2010s. Also, for them only having 4 weeks of learning a show, cleaning and then a week of production, there were SUPER clean visually. This staff found a formula to make them better this season.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Nor did we with your usual hateful banter towards Crown. A sense of normalcy maybe, but nothing new.

Say what you will about poppy but you have to admit drum corps has taken a weird turn with how these shows are designed lately. It is strange to see all the faces of the marching members and remind myself that I'm watching a drum corps show. It reminds me of WGI shows (which I didn't care all the much for) from high schools in the middle of the 2000s and DCI decided to completely adopt that style. The overuse of props, skin tight uniforms, amplification and tacky narration. It isn't for everyone thats for sure

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

The overuse of props, skin tight uniforms, amplification and tacky narration.

I generally like today’s shows in part because I haven’t watched drum corps all my life.  My only complaint about this show is that I thought the amplification was too much/ too overbearing.   I’m ok with amplification but I think it could’ve been dialed back 1/3 to 1/2.  Singing /narration just depends on the show.  This one I understand as it was intended as a “homecoming “ for alumni.  

2 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

My only complaint about this show is that I thought the amplification was too much/ too overbearing.   I’m ok with amplification but I think it could’ve been dialed back 1/3 to 1/2.

Was the amplification that much different in the stadium than on the live stream? It seemed pretty balanced on Flo.

12 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I don’t think that was hateful. It was direct.  And their opinion.  Just a thought.  I try to be a little forgiving of the opinions of others in here.  Not everyone likes the same things. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

Say what you will about poppy but you have to admit drum corps has taken a weird turn with how these shows are designed lately. It is strange to see all the faces of the marching members and remind myself that I'm watching a drum corps show. It reminds me of WGI shows (which I didn't care all the much for) from high schools in the middle of the 2000s and DCI decided to completely adopt that style. The overuse of props, skin tight uniforms, amplification and tacky narration. It isn't for everyone thats for sure

And when the electronics in a show doesn't work it can ruin a solo, and or the singing, narration. But such malfunctions ( so far anyway ) has not shown up on score sheets when songs or solos can mangled or not heard ( even by judges in booths ), so there really is no downside at the moment for the use of these.

Edited by Boss Anova

16 hours ago, Poppycock said:

I didn’t see or hear anything groundbreakingly original! Thanks for sharing. 

Where can I see BD’s 2021 program this year?  Based on your post I have high expectations. I can’t wait to see how groundbreakingly original it is.

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

It's the fact that he never has anything nice to say unless it's about the Blue Devils. He only gets onto the Crown threads to put them down. The fact that so many others had so many nice things to say, especially with them having such a strong showing coming off of the pandemic, but yet he just wants to make a snide remark with no substance just shows the immaturity behind all of his posts.

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t think that was hateful. It was direct.  And their opinion.  Just a thought.  I try to be a little forgiving of the opinions of others in here.  Not everyone likes the same things. 🤷‍♀️

Like I said before, it's the immaturity. No it wasn't ground breaking, but half the time neither are his precious Blue Devils, yet he always decides to make snide remarks towards the organization that kicked off the season after the pandemic and had a great showing. Some people really should follow the age old rule "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I'm just waiting for the innovative production from the 2021 edition of the Blue Devils. When is it happening?

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 2