Carolina Crown 2021

1 hour ago, WilsonStaff said:

DCA? Whatever the heck. 

People who marched Junior corps follow DCI closely and those of us who marched Senior/All Age follow DCA. DCI/DCA/Alumni types all part of the same activity. We need health in all 3

Or should I not sign up for DCI webcasts because I didn’t March Junior?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

I am not surprised we got some Crown hate on the page. It always happens.

I don't know why anyone, and I mean anyone, is expecting something groundbreaking or mind blowing to happen from Crown on 4 weeks of work. The fact that they were even out there and learning a show, and not a standstill show either, shows that they wanted to do something for the members, the organization, and their fans. Not to mention, not touring or buying new uniforms for the brass and percussion saved SO much money. IMO, Boston dropping thousands and maybe even tens of thousands on their "video props" is a waste of money for an exhibition show. I am sure they can use them in the future but it would be old news and overused by that time. Let us just enjoy the fact that we were able to hear the best hornline in DCI again instead of sitting on our couches wishing we could hear/watch any drum corps like last summer.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

I don't know why anyone, and I mean anyone, is expecting something groundbreaking or mind blowing to happen from Crown on 4 weeks of work. The fact that they were even out there and learning a show, and not a standstill show either, shows that they wanted to do something for the members, the organization, and their fans. Not to mention, not touring or buying new uniforms for the brass and percussion saved SO much money. IMO, Boston dropping thousands and maybe even tens of thousands on their "video props" is a waste of money for an exhibition show. I am sure they can use them in the future but it would be old news and overused by that time. Let us just enjoy the fact that we were able to hear the best hornline in DCI again instead of sitting on our couches wishing we could hear/watch any drum corps like last summer.

Mr. Tiger, I would agree with you regarding Boston's props etc if they were fielding an exhibition show this summer.  They are not.  They see this particular season as something else entirely.  In fact, no one there is even using the word "exhibition".  This is a regular (albeit shorter) season to them.  As for their financial priorities,  just as is the case with Crown, BD or anyone else, they made a decision based on what is best for their members and orgainization.  At some point in the future, I guess we can all look back and decide on the merits of each approach.    And yes, I thought the Crown show was very well done.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, karuna said:

Just happy there's some drum corps to listen to this summer.   It's been too long.

I think we are fortunate that DCI allowed each corps decide for itself what's best for the health and safety of it's members. 

Yeah sad that some people can’t appreciate what we still have. Thought last year would be a wake up call for things other than DC but nope…

Edited by JimF-LowBari

15 hours ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Crown folks ( at least here on DCP ) seem on edge and very touchy lately. I read what poppycock posted above, and it seemed rather tame to me as a minor criticism. He posted that in his opinion Crown's 2021 show" was not very groundbreaking" ( which I might agree with as well ). The reason the show was not very groundbreaking  has been put forth well by Crown folks, and that explanation seems to that makes perfect sense too. So we are all good right ? Well, not really . We then watch Crown respond on this thread to then make criticism on  Blue Devils... and now today, a criticism yet another Corps, now the Boston Crusaders. Why take what seems a pretty innocuous slight criticism on Crown, to then go and criticize 2 other Corps that have virtually nothing at all to do with Crown , nor the criticism made by one poster ( Poppycock ) of Crown ? BD has been the subject of jealousy and hate for decades... since the 1970's. They mostly take it in stride, in one ear, out the other. And they rarely are seen with criticism in response to that hate and jealousy that they then direct at other Corps.  People need here to chill. Crown's performance both here and on other social media has been very positive and favorable. There is no need take a minor criticism from any single poster as a launching pad to then criticize other Corps, none of whom have anything at all to do with this single poster assessment of Crown 2021.

Edited by Boss Anova

17 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

Pretty sure CC brass is written by Michael Klesch, not Harloff.

I was actually wondering about that. 

On the video I watched (tuning) it said that the music was by Harloff. 

And then I noticed they played the same piece in their actual show.

I'm a mega Klesch fan, and if it's by him, great.  If it's by Harloff, also great!  Crown is in great hands musically for decades, IMO. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Crown folks ( at least here on DCP ) seem on edge and very touchy lately. I read what poppycock posted above, and it seemed rather tame to me as a minor criticism. He posted that in his opinion Crown's 2021 show" was not very groundbreaking" ( which I might agree with as well ). 

Nobody would be "touchy" if it were acomment about a show during a competition year. 

This year is about survival for these corps. 

Right now is about survival for these corps. 

It's amazing that we're getting to see or hear anything, and decent humans are celebrating it. 

Making a comment like that , about any corps' show this year is tone deaf.  Pathological, really. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

You were fine until you took that turn and bagged on Boston.  Which kind of makes you guilty of to which you were referring. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

People who marched Junior corps follow DCI closely and those of us who marched Senior/All Age follow DCA. DCI/DCA/Alumni types all part of the same activity. We need health in all 3

Or should I not sign up for DCI webcasts because I didn’t March Junior?

Stick to DCA on those deep thoughts. Sign up for what you feel. Me and my partner just planned a road trip.