Carolina Crown 2021

33 minutes ago, crownisking said:

I actually still have my flag from the opening set of the 2013 show. Hopefully they gave the alumns first dibs because I remember just about everything from the 2013 show sold out really fast once it was put on the website. 

To have a pair of purple pants...lol.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

To have a pair of purple pants...lol.

Yeah that would be pretty sweet. Unfortunately, the only actual uniform parts I’ve ever seen sold publicly were the pink plumes Crown wore for a single performance back in ‘10.

I’m pretty sure the members get to keep the shakos and crown medallions each year. I have no idea what happens to the jackets and bibbers. 

Edited by crownisking

3 hours ago, crownisking said:

Yeah that would be pretty sweet. Unfortunately, the only actual uniform parts I’ve ever seen sold publicly were the pink plumes Crown wore for a single performance back in ‘10.

I’m pretty sure the members get to keep the shakos and crown medallions each year. I have no idea what happens to the jackets and bibbers. 

I think I've read somewhere that they sell them to high school marching bands after the season is over, but I've also never seen their uniforms on another band floating around on YouTube either so it's hard to say what happens to them. I know personally that Bluecoats sell their instruments. Lol.

47 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I think I've read somewhere that they sell them to high school marching bands after the season is over, but I've also never seen their uniforms on another band floating around on YouTube either so it's hard to say what happens to them. I know personally that Bluecoats sell their instruments. Lol.

Well not to sound elitist, but the more successful band programs have their uniforms custom designed for them. It’s almost always the programs you’ve never heard of in very poor/rural school districts that purchase second hand uniforms. 

4 hours ago, crownisking said:

Well not to sound elitist, but the more successful band programs have their uniforms custom designed for them. It’s almost always the programs you’ve never heard of in very poor/rural school districts that purchase second hand uniforms. 

I guess I'm an elitist as well then, because the program I work with has custom designed uniform tops. Lol. Maybe we're just half elitist...eli. Lol. Most of the poor and rural schools have custom uniform tops now too, at least in Kentucky. They're cheaper in the long run, machine washable, and you can resale them and make almost what you put into them. Plus they're much cooler on the marching members than the traditional polyester uniforms.

23 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I guess I'm an elitist as well then, because the program I work with has custom designed uniform tops. Lol. Maybe we're just half elitist...eli. Lol. Most of the poor and rural schools have custom uniform tops now too, at least in Kentucky. They're cheaper in the long run, machine washable, and you can resale them and make almost what you put into them. Plus they're much cooler on the marching members than the traditional polyester uniforms.

Yeah it always made more sense in my mind to purchase brand new uniforms and get a longer shelf life out of them vs saving a little bit of money on used uniforms that might have 5 years left in them. Not to mention the sizing limitations that come with purchasing uniforms from a group of performers who are mostly trim and in excellent shape. But some school districts only care about saving money up front, I guess.

23 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Yeah it always made more sense in my mind to purchase brand new uniforms and get a longer shelf life out of them vs saving a little bit of money on used uniforms that might have 5 years left in them. Not to mention the sizing limitations that come with purchasing uniforms from a group of performers who are mostly trim and in excellent shape. But some school districts only care about saving money up front, I guess.

We purchase show specific tops every year and resell them at the end of the season to programs in our area at a discounted price. We're one of the luckier programs in our state that received decent funding from the school board. We're still a Title 1 school, we just happen to score higher than most in our area and receive more funding at the state level due to that. Most in Kentucky have made the move to show specific digitally printed athletic tops, and honestly they're just plain cheaper, the kids enjoy them, and you make a profit at the end of every season. Win, win, and win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

We purchase show specific tops every year and resell them at the end of the season to programs in our area at a discounted price. We're one of the luckier programs in our state that received decent funding from the school board. We're still a Title 1 school, we just happen to score higher than most in our area and receive more funding at the state level due to that. Most in Kentucky have made the move to show specific digitally printed athletic tops, and honestly they're just plain cheaper, the kids enjoy them, and you make a profit at the end of every season. Win, win, and win.

It’s interesting you mention that because I’ve noticed a few programs in the DFW area doing digitally printed tops every year as well. Flower Mound HS immediately comes to mind. They have a set of traditional uniforms for football games and a custom top and shako cover to go over their white bibbers for competitions. I always wondered how schools could afford to purchase new tops every year. I’m glad it’s affordable enough for even the smaller programs to do it. 

26 minutes ago, crownisking said:

It’s interesting you mention that because I’ve noticed a few programs in the DFW area doing digitally printed tops every year as well. Flower Mound HS immediately comes to mind. They have a set of traditional uniforms for football games and a custom top and shako cover to go over their white bibbers for competitions. I always wondered how schools could afford to purchase new tops every year. I’m glad it’s affordable enough for even the smaller programs to do it. 

Each top is roughly $30 for the company we go through, and we only have around 90 winds and percussion, so it's not horrible at all for us. I know programs that are around 30 kids who still are doing the digital tops that are a lot less well off than we are. We also turn around and sale our tops at the season end for around $25, depending on the program we're selling them to. If it's a smaller, less funded program we will drop the price. We also sale our guard uniforms and silks as well. The only uniforms we don't sell are the seniors, because they go into a shadow box frame, kind of like how football teams do for their seniors.

The shako covers we call wraps. Some programs have them made, some make them out of extra tops that they ordered. All depends on what they can afford. We're going with shako wraps for the first time this year, and we're ordering them, and they're roughly an extra $10 per shako. Cheaper than new plums every few years. A tube full of feathers is more expensive than you think. We still have our traditional uniforms that we got 6 years ago that we wear at football games to appease our school board so they don't think that they are going unused. We also use them for parades as well. I wish we could afford show specific bibbers as well, but one step at a time. 

• Thanks 1