Financial Impact of a Lost Season

I don't think DCI should be coordinating grants or promoting a global collection fund; however, they could send out a mass email with corps urls for donation and merch stores.  That should be relatively benign in effort - the mechanism to send mass emails is in place, and content creation for a series of links minimal.  It could then highlight some of the corps that have harder to find donation sites.

1 hour ago, rmm155 said:

I don't think DCI should be coordinating grants or promoting a global collection fund; however, they could send out a mass email with corps urls for donation and merch stores.  That should be relatively benign in effort - the mechanism to send mass emails is in place, and content creation for a series of links minimal.  It could then highlight some of the corps that have harder to find donation sites.

The manpower relationship between DCI and the member corps is exactly inverse right now - the corps have many more resources available to do their own marketing and fundraising than DCI does, especially in light of this week's staff reductions. 

DCI"s primary job right now is to figure out how to survive. This year, they'll have no ticket revenues from shows, no media products to sell, etc, etc - in short, they have no predictable sources of revenues for the foreseeable future. Given that their practical necessity to the activity as the producer of the major events is greater than any single corps' ability to survive, they'll need to put on their own air mask before they even consider helping anyone else next to them. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rmm155 said:

i appreciate the intent, but why not just show "some of the corps" how to do it themselves?  Their staff or BoD can engage with the others at the group level and, I don't know, ASK for some help (most already have).

Again, those who do it themselves don't want to spend DCI money on those who choose to not do it themselves.

And my understanding is that today was the last day for all but a skeletal staff at DCI offices.  Just who would be a good person to assign this to?  And, bigger, the page of corps links is here, on FB, and anywhere else a corps wants to put it.  

Edited by garfield

Corps have buses, trailers, food trucks (unless they rent them?).... are there any assets the corps have that they can leverage for cash aside from just selling them? 

What do corps have on hand to generate income? Online lessons by staff where they split the proceeds? Get the top local corps members (less than 10 of course... $1 to CDC) to produce high quality videos of small ensembles playing stuff they already have the sync and mechanical rights for, then monetize the videos on Youtube, Vimeo, etc.?  Do tiny 1 minute drill in a small room? I mean, there's going to be a LOT of corps fans DYING for corps-like content this summer.  And a gazillion marching band kids who couldn't finish concert band this year at their schools since they closed.... 

One of my kids messaged me today and told me he's bored out of his mind... watching old DCI shows. 😄    

The corps have to do the unusual like 80"s drill. They need to take advantage of a bad situation if they can afford to. How about a line of 2020 tee shirts, hats, novelty items like "The Cadets 2020 WTF" Or  The Cadets 2020 and you thought 2019 was bad !!! Just a thought.

11 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

Corps have buses, trailers, food trucks (unless they rent them?).... are there any assets the corps have that they can leverage for cash aside from just selling them? 

What do corps have on hand to generate income? Online lessons by staff where they split the proceeds? Get the top local corps members (less than 10 of course... $1 to CDC) to produce high quality videos of small ensembles playing stuff they already have the sync and mechanical rights for, then monetize the videos on Youtube, Vimeo, etc.?  Do tiny 1 minute drill in a small room? I mean, there's going to be a LOT of corps fans DYING for corps-like content this summer.  And a gazillion marching band kids who couldn't finish concert band this year at their schools since they closed.... 

One of my kids messaged me today and told me he's bored out of his mind... watching old DCI shows. 😄    

My first thought was that FEMA could hire their food trucks to possibly feed health care workers at the field hospitals that are being set up on both the East & West coasts.  Of course, the Army Corps of Engineers may already have this covered.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Slingerland said:

The manpower relationship between DCI and the member corps is exactly inverse right now - the corps have many more resources available to do their own marketing and fundraising than DCI does, especially in light of this week's staff reductions. 

DCI"s primary job right now is to figure out how to survive. This year, they'll have no ticket revenues from shows, no media products to sell, etc, etc - in short, they have no predictable sources of revenues for the foreseeable future. Given that their practical necessity to the activity as the producer of the major events is greater than any single corps' ability to survive, they'll need to put on their own air mask before they even consider helping anyone else next to them. 

You are SO right, as usual.   DCI (the home office) will need to make radical changes of its own to simply recover.

I can foresee staff layoffs for now. Possibly, sharing office space and staff with a related organization doing much the same things. Certainly, less travel time flying around to sit with event partners and individual corps.

Perhaps, adjusting souvenir stock items to guarantee very few unsold items. Like fewer amounts of items printed with a calendar date. Dated items are sold for little or no profit beginning the following year.

Finding a way to make the Official Yearbook much cheaper to produce, while still selling at the current price.

Smaller judging panels.

Dan will be pressed hard. Should he choose to retire, as he’s certainly eligible to do . .  then what?

Edited by Fred Windish

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

My first thought was that FEMA could hire their food trucks to possibly feed health care workers at the field hospitals that are being set up on both the East & West coasts.  Of course, the Army Corps of Engineers may already have this covered.    

THIS is a GREAT job for the DCI office to coordinate!  Get every corps that agrees to rent it's kitchen to feed the people in the temporary hospitals.

Unfortunately, like food trucks, they'll have to coordinate to prevent people bunching up at the window, but this might be a way to generate income on assets for each corps that has a truck.

HockeyDad will be pleased, and I'm HIGHLY impressed that you (yes, especially YOU :whip:) came up with it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

THIS is a GREAT job for the DCI office to coordinate!  Get every corps that agrees to rent it's kitchen to feed the people in the temporary hospitals.

Unfortunately, like food trucks, they'll have to coordinate to prevent people bunching up at the window, but this might be a way to generate income on assets for each corps that has a truck.

HockeyDad will be pleased, and I'm HIGHLY impressed that you (yes, especially YOU :whip:) came up with it.

I read all the way to the end waiting for you to reveal you are being sarcastic 😉. Along with food they can set up a souvie stand. And heck, pop in a DVD so people can watch some drum corps. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

I like the thought of helping out but letting FEMA anywhere near a food truck would result in the corps losing their food truck.

• Haha 3