Financial Impact of a Lost Season

27 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I’m sure introducing woodwinds won’t do any real harm.

Not sure about woodwinds, but the skeleton sitting in the cart full of skulls is playing a hurdy-gurdy.

(I don't think anyone plays a hurdy-gurdy in "Hurdy Gurdy Man".)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

28 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But speaking of skulls, the number of COVID19 deaths in the U.S. doubled in two days, going from 1,000 Thursday to 2,000 today.

Univ of Washington today estimated 80,000 Covid deaths by July, peaking the second week of April at 2000 per day. Truly a miraculous number, compared to the 2.2 million number that was being widely reported recently. 

34 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Univ of Washington today estimated 80,000 Covid deaths by July, peaking the second week of April at 2000 per day. Truly a miraculous number, compared to the 2.2 million number that was being widely reported recently. 

I certainly hope it is held down to that. Still, it is a sobering number. 

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Here's some more good news: the United Nations is donating 250,000 masks to the U.S.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

They are not viewed as educational for the purposes of this bill. The purposes are to support the significant disruption to public education. Corps would be view through the non-profit lens (arts and/or education) but this is outside of the core purpose of the funding.

Not according to every non-profit business publication that I have received over the last few days.  All NPOs are eligible for 7a SBA loans, with potential forgiveness.  They are also eligible for the $10k quick advance EIDL, which is Section 1110.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I certainly hope it is held down to that. Still, it is a sobering number. 

Interesting choice of words, since that would put this about even with the annual number of deaths from alcohol every year.  When can we quarantine against getting killed by a drunk driver?

1 hour ago, TwoValves said:

Interesting choice of words, since that would put this about even with the annual number of deaths from alcohol every year.  When can we quarantine against getting killed by a drunk driver?

COVID19 is definitely going to kill more Americans than died in either the 9/11 or Pearl Harbor attacks, and very probably more than both combined.

According to Hockey Dad's source above, the number of Americans who die from COVID19 by July will be more than 15 times the number of Americans who died on 9/11.   

And H.D. notes that could be very good news, relative to some earlier predictions.

But do go on.

On 3/26/2020 at 11:38 PM, Newseditor44 said:

Obviously this will be one the big discussions during the season, and we’re already beginning to see the dominos start to fall.
Earlier today DCI furloughed/laid off two-thirds of its office staff, leaving a “Skelton crew” in place to plan for 2021. Now I’m really beginning to wonder if 2019 was the final DCI season ever. 

It's very unforunate new for the staff who were let go (I had to deliver the very same bad news to some people on staff where I work), but presumably if DCI had not done so, then the organization's demise would be assured. Cutting costs gives them a chance to survive.

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

COVID19 is definitely going to kill more Americans than died in either the 9/11 or Pearl Harbor attacks, and very probably more than both combined.

According to Hockey Dad's source above, the number of Americans who die from COVID19 by July will be more than 15 times the number of Americans who died on 9/11.   

And H.D. notes that could be very good news, relative to some earlier predictions.

But do go on.

Still about the same as drunk drivers.  Or the flu.  Or any number of other causes.  Sad?  Yes.  Still affecting only hundreths of a percentage point of people?  Yes.  

• Thanks 1