Financial Impact of a Lost Season

4 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

That does not make it an airborne transmission.  That is a person to person transmission.

You were wrong. 

Which means that, at best, drum corps can only take about 10 MM's per bus, so they'll have to rent 25 buses to carry the whole corps.

The financial impact of airborne transmission across small distances is very high and makes the season all but unworkable.

Good call, DCI?

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Is there a drum corps in the Philippines?  Now, that there is some long-distance commuting to do the tour! 

I suspect the financial impact on corps members from the Philippines will make it VERY difficult for MM's to make camps in the US in 2021.  The long-term impact of a global economic shutdown is likely much greater in developing countries where it will take longer to recover.

Hey great idea for another topic as there used to be at least one there (not sure of present status). Maybe someone with knowledge could fill us in on non North America corps. Could relate to DCI as some have come here for Finals week

5 minutes ago, skevinp said:

The one who posted a picture of skulls and then quoted himself to say “speaking of skulls...” in a thread about the financial impact of drum corps?

I really liked that post as it demonstrated just how fine and detailed NEB can be in his research.

:sarcasm:But then he goes on to say that, just off the edge of the canvas, is another 85,000 carts carrying approximately 1000 skulls each, and that the artist meant it (had he actually had enough canvas to actually paint it) to be a depiction of what would happen to us if we didn't shut down the economy and wreck the financial health of the drum corps activity.  Such that it was.

• Haha 1

I still think DCI.org will qualify for some of the grant money under the stimulus package.  But how can The Kennedy Center announce layoffs right after receiving a $25 million grant specifically earmarked for the organization from the stimulus package?  They lose their pay in a week & their health benefits at the end of May if not reopened.  :soapbox:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/after-25-million-stimulus-stunned-nso-players-receive-one-week-notice-from-kennedy-center/2020/03/28/9c27603e-7118-11ea-aa80-c2470c6b2034_story.html  

Edited by keystone3ply
correction
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Hey great idea for another topic as there used to be at least one there (not sure of present status). Maybe someone with knowledge could fill us in on non North America corps. Could relate to DCI as some have come here for Finals week

Or, we could talk about (or even make stuff up about) how hard it will be for non-US MM's to afford to come to the US to join the tour.

Great idea, Jim! 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Or, we could talk about (or even make stuff up about) how hard it will be for non-US MM's to afford to come to the US to join the tour.

Great idea, Jim! 

Thanks and to be honest I only knew about one corps in Philippines because my old corps donated some old 2v to them. Wish I could remember the name.😫

4 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I still think DCI.org will qualify for some of the grant money under the stimulus package.  But how can The Kennedy Center announce layoffs right after receiving a $25 million grant specifically earmarked for the organization from the stimulus package?  :soapbox:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/after-25-million-stimulus-stunned-nso-players-receive-one-week-notice-from-kennedy-center/2020/03/28/9c27603e-7118-11ea-aa80-c2470c6b2034_story.html  

Ironically tone deaf for a musical venue.  

Given the optics, perhaps it should be renamed “The J. Quincy Magoo Center”.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, garfield said:

Which means that, at best, drum corps can only take about 10 MM's per bus, so they'll have to rent 25 buses to carry the whole corps.

The financial impact of airborne transmission across small distances is very high and makes the season all but unworkable.

Good call, DCI?

Or just have their parents car pool like a little league team. :whistle: